Gransnet forums

Relationships

Birthday gifts. When to stop?

(97 Posts)
Annlilyoliver Tue 20-Apr-21 06:47:18

I have always given fifty pounds to my adult son and same to his wife on their birthdays They are in their mid thirties now I feel it’s unnecessary but I don’t want to disappoint them when they open the birthday card ! Any suggestions for the way forward ?

Jaxie Wed 21-Apr-21 15:10:28

How about buying them books instead of giving them money?

starstella Wed 21-Apr-21 15:25:36

CALENDARGIRL I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST TELLING US TO BE CAREFUL.IN NO WAY WOULD I FIND IT UNPLEASANT.STRANGE HOW PEOPLE SEE THINGS.

Rosina Wed 21-Apr-21 15:34:34

Why not talk to them about this - who doesn't like to get a little something for their birthday? I'm never concerned about Christmas gifts, in fact with several couples we have agreed over the years to go for a meal rather than buy presents for each other that none of us need, but your birthday is your special day, and even if it is a tiny bunch of flowers, a pretty scarf, a book, bottle of wine - however small I love giving and getting.

janeainsworth Wed 21-Apr-21 15:46:57

Just because an AC earns more than their parents did at the same age, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have very much disposable income and however much you do have, it’s always nice to be given money just to spend on yourself without feeling in any way guilty about it.
My DM and DMil were both very generous and their gifts of money were always very gratefully received.
There’s no way I’d ever stop giving our own DC and DC inlaws gifts of money.

BazingaGranny Wed 21-Apr-21 15:51:34

Well, I still give birthday money and a present to our adult children and my dad still gives me some money or a cheque, and he’s 98 and I’m obviously an older adult! And we give him birthday money or presents.

A nice clean £10 or £20 note always goes down well, no matter how much money you have ..... if the giver can afford to give it of course.

Some people give birthday presents or cash, and others don’t. Never too old for a present in my view!

Cossy Wed 21-Apr-21 17:23:08

My Mum still gives me a birthday gift and Christmas, usually money. We also give birthday and Christmas gifts to our 5 adult children. It’s up to you what you do. I do remember how disappointed all my children were though when their paternal grandparents stopped both birthday and Christmas gifts at 18, which meant some Christmases some children got something & others didn’t

Kim19 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:52:13

Snap Jillybird! I always give our two sons £1 for each year plus some little item I've picked up along the way. Getting expensive....... 52 & 47 this year. I've been told it's a nuts kind of thing to do (not by them) but I like it. Can't think when or why I started. Looking at these ages, I surely must have been a child bride!

CarrieAnn Wed 21-Apr-21 18:41:50

I much prefer to give gifts than to receive them.I give the boys and my grandchildren money and a selection of gifts which have become a ritual.I know they would be really disappointed if they didn't get the little gifts much more than the money.I shall continue giving gifts untilI kick the bucket

Chapeau Wed 21-Apr-21 20:36:32

Calandargirl Absolutely nothing wrong with your post at all.

Battersea1971 Wed 21-Apr-21 20:37:27

I give the same to both my sons and their wives and they are late forties. My husband used to say they might as well have it now than later. I wouldnt say that either of my sons need it, but I want to do it. They usually tell me what they did with it. With the boys its usually something for the home or garden, the girls usually clothes.

Nanniejude Wed 21-Apr-21 20:42:48

My mum (90) gives me birthday money and I do this to my kids and grandkids and always will.

Elvis58 Wed 21-Apr-21 21:13:45

No sorry knocked it on the head when we retired.They can well afford anything they want.We dont give and dont want either.Grandchildren yes till they start working, then no.

Thisismyname1953 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:50:18

My lovely DIL is 40 this year . She is horse mad. I usually spend £50 on birthdays but as hers is a special one , I think I will buy her a designer purse and put £200 in it , that way she can treat herself or treat her horse . I’m not bothered which as long as she’s happy .

Shropshirelass Thu 22-Apr-21 08:52:45

My DM is 99 and still gives money for birthdays in spite of us telling her not to. If you can’t afford or no longer want to give the money then I would speak to your son and maybe reduce the amount slowly until you are comfortable stopping. Do what you are comfortable with.

Yorki Thu 22-Apr-21 09:24:26

I think 'annesixty' has the best advice .

Yorki Thu 22-Apr-21 09:25:43

Starstella. What ?????

tom16 Thu 22-Apr-21 09:43:24

Annlillyoliver - 'the way forward?? Tricky as you say you have always given them this same gift since they were adults.
Perhaps something more personalised would lessen the blow to their pockets.
I think if I was them I would feel more thought about than being given just money.
(So many comments here about what others give to theirs - I dont think that sort of information is helpful as its not a competition.)

MagicWriter2016 Thu 22-Apr-21 17:12:41

I give all my AC & GC £50 each for their birthdays, but only give them a cheaper present at Xmas as it was getting too expensive as the kids grew and then had their own partners. As long as I can afford it I will continue.

Rowsie Thu 22-Apr-21 17:25:17

My son and his partner are in their 50's and I still give them presents (or money if there is nothing they want). I would never think of stopping. They always buy me a gift so why would I stop buying them one.

rugbymumcumbria Thu 22-Apr-21 20:56:32

I intend to always give my Sons and DIL's birthday presents.

I'm 57 and still love to get a cheque off my StepMum so I can justify a treat for myself. 20 years ago I loved it because I was so hard up it paid for a good food shop!

Calendargirl Thu 22-Apr-21 21:47:12

starstella and chapeau.

Thank you for your comments. I didn’t think I was being ‘dismissive’ or ‘unpleasant’, but hey ho, it doesn’t take much to offend some people.