Gransnet forums

Relationships

Camilla for Queen?

(113 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 14-May-21 11:37:51

How do people feel now about Camilla becoming Queen? There have been huge changes in the Royal Family and the Queen is a very old lady now. Never personally been a fan of Camilla probably due to the fact there were 3 in my marriage as well and felt sympathy for Diana. But there is no denying the fact that Camilla and Charles are ideally suited and love one another. I think Charles and Diana would never have worked Camilla or not now with hindsight. Views?

3nanny6 Sat 15-May-21 14:18:07

That is always the case, don't talk about peoples past lets just move forward. The past and peoples actions can form our
opinions of them for a long time and some of us can have different memory spans and it still comes into my mind that Charles and Camilla had their chance to get together when they were younger but they waited until they had both experienced marriage with other people and at the same time having an illicit relationship.

I would rather see Prince William become King bypassing Charles altogether to me that would be a good way forward.

Sara1954 Sat 15-May-21 14:26:57

I think she should be Queen, she seems to be a likeable, sensible woman, who throughout everything that’s happened has shown great dignity.
Let’s leave the past in the past and move on, whatever has happened before can’t be changed now.
Having said that, I doubt Camilla will worry one way or another, finally she’s with the man she loves, that’s probably all she wants.

rafichagran Sat 15-May-21 14:48:36

Totally agree Sara she is with the man she loves.

Kestrel Tue 25-May-21 11:33:29

It's not a democratic vote tho - it's a hereditary monarchy which sets its own rules and adjusts them if/when the peasants protest enough. Camilla, (current) Princess of Wales, is married to the Prince of Wales and will one day be queen when he finally becomes king. Charles will be king unless he abdicates in favour of his son, William, and I can't see that happening. I'd be happy to end the whole charade when the current queen dies.

maddyone Tue 25-May-21 11:39:55

I’m happy for Camilla to be Queen Consort. No problem with it at all.

Sparkling Wed 26-May-21 06:05:18

Definitely not Queen, might as well give up on the monarchy. It's bad enough Andrew bring Prince.

Revolucion Wed 23-Jun-21 21:34:43

I don’t want Charles to be King and I certainly don’t want Camilla to be Princess Consort. I no longer wish for the UK to have a Royal Family.

I don’t want my country to be represented by Charles or Camilla.
Or Boris Johnson for that matter.
Surely we can do better than this.

Talullah Wed 23-Jun-21 21:36:52

I don't think there's ever been any possibility that she would be Queen.

NanKate Wed 23-Jun-21 21:43:51

I like Camilla. She and Prince Charles are often seen laughing together.

He should never have married Diana, but they wanted him to marry a virgin. Their marriage didn’t stand a chance.

Gwyneth Wed 23-Jun-21 22:01:43

I think Camilla should be Queen. Have grown to like and respect her over the years.

Anniebach Wed 23-Jun-21 22:26:09

This ‘had to marry a virgin’ sounds like she was a human sacrifice, he was dating a girl for sometime then a former lover
sold the story to the press.

Camilla has dignity, has never given an interview about her private life and it’s not true she married Parker Bowles because
she couldn’t marry Charles, she loved Parker Bowles.

Lucca Wed 23-Jun-21 22:34:21

Alima

I would be fine with Camilla becoming Queen when Charles takes the throne. They appear ideally suited and as mentioned by sodapop , Sarnia and timetogo2016 it is a shame they did not marry when they were younger. Have found myself thinking today, after yet more “stuff” from PH being aired for all and sundry to hear, if Camilla had given birth to PC’s sons the younger one especially would be far less woke with all that entails. But hey, who am I to have an opinion.

So I assume you are using “woke” as an insult?

Bagatelle Wed 23-Jun-21 22:48:26

King Charles and Queen Camilla - yes
King William and Queen Catherine - yes
King George - who knows?

King Harry and Queen Meghan - time we became a republic

wicklowwinnie Sun 04-Jul-21 12:38:09

I wonder how many of us would have been quite happy for our husbands to have had a mistress in their marriage,
such hypocrisy!

Anniebach Sun 04-Jul-21 13:29:53

Wonder how many husbands would have been quite happy for
their wives to have several lovers in their marriage

wicklowwinnie Sun 04-Jul-21 14:15:16

Diana only had lovers AFTER she discovered she had been betrayed.
She was used to produce an heir and a spare.
This isn't the Middle Ages.
Still, she died very conveniently.
Charles, as King, won't get the respect like his mother has enjoyed throughout her reign.

Ilovecheese Sun 04-Jul-21 14:23:15

Royalty has not always got as much respect as our current Queen. You only have to look at old engravings or political cartoons to see them being mocked or laughed at, much the same as our politicians are now.
I thought the point of a heredity monarchy is that we get what we are given, we can't miss out Charles because we might prefer William.

User7777 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:30:38

Irrelevant really. It's going to be King William next.

Sparkling Sun 04-Jul-21 14:46:00

Diana, was humiliated and betrayed, can you blame her for seeking affection outside a marriage when she was in that marriage just to produce an heir. She was treated appallingly, she would be alive now but for the false promises of Charles, with Camilla at his beck and call.

Alegrias1 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:49:12

User7777

Irrelevant really. It's going to be King William next.

You mean Charles will take William for his regnal name?

Becuase like it or not, Charles will be the next King. That's how inherited monarchies work. You don't get to pick and choose, as ilovecheese said.

growstuff Sun 04-Jul-21 15:01:05

Lucca

Alima

I would be fine with Camilla becoming Queen when Charles takes the throne. They appear ideally suited and as mentioned by sodapop , Sarnia and timetogo2016 it is a shame they did not marry when they were younger. Have found myself thinking today, after yet more “stuff” from PH being aired for all and sundry to hear, if Camilla had given birth to PC’s sons the younger one especially would be far less woke with all that entails. But hey, who am I to have an opinion.

So I assume you are using “woke” as an insult?

Tom Parker Bowles thinks tea is democratic and Empire is "not a good thing". How "woke" is that? hmm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxMg8p1YbMo

wicklowwinnie Sun 04-Jul-21 17:01:16

Thank you, Sparkling, for your post,
The public loved Diana.
Charles became very jealous of Diana's popularity with everyone. Something no one had reckoned with !

Anniebach Sun 04-Jul-21 17:27:25

Wonder why Diana said Camilla was a decoy and Charles wanted to marry Tiggy ! This was said in a letter

Polly12 Sun 04-Jul-21 17:39:24

Anniebach

Wonder why Diana said Camilla was a decoy and Charles wanted to marry Tiggy ! This was said in a letter

A letter written by Diana? I thought she always lied?

Anniebach Sun 04-Jul-21 18:00:14

Yes Polly12 so if the letter was a lie what else were lies ?