Gransnet forums

Relationships

Camilla for Queen?

(113 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 14-May-21 11:37:51

How do people feel now about Camilla becoming Queen? There have been huge changes in the Royal Family and the Queen is a very old lady now. Never personally been a fan of Camilla probably due to the fact there were 3 in my marriage as well and felt sympathy for Diana. But there is no denying the fact that Camilla and Charles are ideally suited and love one another. I think Charles and Diana would never have worked Camilla or not now with hindsight. Views?

maddyone Fri 14-May-21 19:20:39

Who knows Molly and do we care? If the press would stop reporting every time he opens his mouth everyone would forget about them and then they could get on with those private lives they wanted.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 19:53:09

Why not? She will be married to the king and the wives of kings are called queens.

Anniebach Fri 14-May-21 20:40:56

Why not queen consort ? Because she had an affair, so did Diana yet Diana is thought of as a saint.

Grany Fri 14-May-21 20:46:34

On a brilliant day for Scots standing up for themselves, here’s a selection of MSPs pointing out the absurdity of having to pledge allegiance to some toffs in Buckingham palace.

twitter.com/UnRoyalReporter/status/1392901794020343809?s=20

3nanny6 Fri 14-May-21 21:23:56

I do not really care what the title will be for Camilla she can be called whatever they want to call her. It has been well documented that Charles and Camilla were having the affair whilst both married to other people. The thing is these sort of things have consequences within families many years later and even though William is well balanced and okay it' s obvious Harry isn't.
At the moment the Queen is the long standing matriarch that is holding the monarchy together and as tragic as it will be when she is no longer alive I feel that the monarchy will
start to crack and crumble and things will be very different.

Mollygo Fri 14-May-21 21:33:03

maddyone

Who knows Molly and do we care? If the press would stop reporting every time he opens his mouth everyone would forget about them and then they could get on with those private lives they wanted.

True ! But the press and the media are hooked on commenting on them and the rest of the RF.

Anniebach Fri 14-May-21 21:34:05

it Is well documented that Diana had an affair whilst married.

3nanny6 Fri 14-May-21 22:06:51

It is well documented that Diana had men friends (more than one). It is also documented that Prince Charles stayed the night before his wedding with Camilla. From my understanding Diana was young and shy also very naive. Diana had not had previous relationships before Charles and several top historians have said that Diana was merely the vessel for heirs to the throne. Very complimentary I must say.

Chardy Fri 14-May-21 22:09:30

I don't think Diana's affair with James Hewitt started until after Charles and Camilla were back together again.

Esspee Fri 14-May-21 22:38:45

I don’t have time for either Charles or Camilla. They have both behaved disgracefully and deserve no respect.
Just to be clear I have a lot of respect for the Queen who has a real sense of duty and has always set a good example.

Anniebach Fri 14-May-21 22:51:50

Chardy we don’t know that, there was Barry Manakee, all we know is they both had affairs. I think it so sad but there is nothing which proves when the affairs started.

Esspee Fri 14-May-21 22:59:23

Anniebach

Chardy we don’t know that, there was Barry Manakee, all we know is they both had affairs. I think it so sad but there is nothing which proves when the affairs started.

It doesn’t matter who broke their vows first surely? Adultery is adultery. Charles is unfit to be king and his previous mistress is unfit to be queen.

rubysong Fri 14-May-21 23:16:51

Yes, Camilla should be Queen when the time comes. Throughout history the wife of a King has been Queen.

GagaJo Fri 14-May-21 23:27:17

Definitely not. And Charles isn't fit to be king either. I used to thing William would be OK but these days...

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-May-21 23:56:38

What’s Prince William done to make him unfit?

stella1949 Sat 15-May-21 06:09:37

Silly to say that Camilla shouldn't be Queen because she had an affair. If that was the case, there would have been very few Kings or Queens in the entire history of the monarchy.

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 06:41:33

Monarchy descends by birth order, the character of the heir/heiress doesn't come into it. George IV, Edwards V11, just to name 2 monarchs in the last 2 centuries have their place in history for the louche and licentious lives they led. Edward V111 was Nazi sympathiser, and generally unpleasant character behind a smooth exterior. As sinning monarchs go, Charles is very small beer.

absent Sat 15-May-21 06:46:09

It doesn't matter who had an affair. It doesn't matter who did it first. What does matter is whether a king is necessary in our countries and in our lives. The consort has no power, apart from the personal, so matters little.

Visgir1 Sat 15-May-21 08:27:19

I was under the impression, she was always going to be the King's Consort?

CafeAuLait Sat 15-May-21 08:28:51

I think the monarchy will be around for a good while yet. I also think Camilla will be great in whatever title she has when Charles is king.

henetha Sat 15-May-21 09:44:50

I m hoping that Camilla will be Queen when Prince Charles becomes King. I think they will both be fine as monarchs.

Anniebach Sat 15-May-21 10:02:02

I too hope she will , never any reporting on the work she does, just the past raked up, she doesn’t seek cameras or give interviews about herself.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-May-21 10:49:49

She is legally married to Prince Charles, so when he becomes king, she should become queen. It will cause endless confusion amongst foreign newspapers and perhaps even diplomats if she is given a "lesser" title.

To me it sounds deprecating to call her Princess consort. In the days of German monarchies and of course the Austrian Empire there were morganatic marriages where the wife had a lower rank than her husband and their children no rights to the throne. The British never used that system, so why start now?

rafichagran Sat 15-May-21 11:29:46

Agree she should become Queen, why do people keep dragging up the past?
I really like her, to me she seems genuine, she goes about her work not seeking grace or favour, or adulation.
I am tired about people talking about affairs, it's in the past, we need to move forward.

Mollygo Sat 15-May-21 14:07:32

rafichagran and others in favour, I agree with you. I don’t know much about Camilla, but we do need to move forward. If Charles is King, she’ll be fine as Queen.
However, it gives us something to do.
We owe a huge invisible debt to the RF. Just think of all the research that’s gone into this and other RF threads. All the reading, agreeing, disagreeing and posting pros and cons has a benefit as we get older.
Keeping your brain active supposedly helps to ward off dementia, though reading/posting some posts on GN are likely to raise your blood pressure.