Gransnet forums

Relationships

How to leave husband

(41 Posts)
SusieFlo Tue 03-Aug-21 19:32:54

I need advice please. I’m seriously considering leaving my dh but lacking courage and also don’t know how to go about it. We’ve been married 41 years and when I almost left last year he persuaded me to stay.
I think the only way to do it is to find somewhere to rent and just go. We own our own house and have separate bank accounts. Has anyone done this and were there any legal repercussions? My son and daughter both say I should have done it years ago.

Babs758 Mon 09-Aug-21 15:11:17

Just to say I didn't leave! The visit to the solicitor was really helpful and I also had a follow up letter from them with all we discussed and they kept my details on file for a year. We also discussed court orders to freeze accounts if we suspected that one of the bank accounts ie, his, would suddenly get depleted. I still have the documents under lock and key and they just give me the reassurance that I can do it and how, should I wish. The pensions thing was a wakeup call. I realised that my pension was worth approx what he had in his bank account so we were "even" there... ! Good luck SusieFlo and I hope you make the right decision for you.

Jillyjosie Wed 11-Aug-21 03:45:32

Whenever I look at flats to rent, the terms always demand proof of income and guarantors. Supposing you only have a state pension plus some savings, what can you do?

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Aug-21 08:39:17

I left with no things. It was the best thing I ever did. Leaving with no things isn't the same as leaving with nothing.
I think this is key, Vampire

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Aug-21 08:39:48

Good luck Suzie!

JillyJosie2 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:17:38

Please can anyone who can give me a hint in answer to my question. I'm in a horrible marriage and I want to leave but I know I'll have to force him to sell the house. I have my state pension, a small other pension and a fair amount in savings.

However, when I've looked at flats for rent, it's horrendous these days, I saw one I could afford the other day, £700 pm but they said the tenant had to have 30 times that in income which I don't have. I am told the shortage of housing means that flats go easily, often for more than the asking price so how do people manage until they can get the proceeds of their house sale? Thanks.

Savvy Wed 11-Aug-21 09:37:29

JillyJosie2 is there anyway you can get a reference from your bank to say that you can afford it? Please don't fall into the trap of offering 6-12 months rent in advance as they will rarely accept monthly payments after this. A letter from your solicitor to say that you are in the process of sorting out a divorce or legal separation may also help and you may be able to secure accommodation through a housing association.

If you look at properties advertised by DSS welcome, even though you're not on benefits, you may find that the rents and financial criteria are favourable to renters who are not working. Unfortunately at the moment its hard to find rental properties.

It is also a myth that the marital home has to be sold, I know several couples who allowed the one remaining in the property to buy the other one out by taking out a mortgage, or raising the necessary finances some other way. As long as its a fair and legal division of assets, that's all that matters.

DiamondLily Wed 11-Aug-21 10:06:24

JillyJosie2

Please can anyone who can give me a hint in answer to my question. I'm in a horrible marriage and I want to leave but I know I'll have to force him to sell the house. I have my state pension, a small other pension and a fair amount in savings.

However, when I've looked at flats for rent, it's horrendous these days, I saw one I could afford the other day, £700 pm but they said the tenant had to have 30 times that in income which I don't have. I am told the shortage of housing means that flats go easily, often for more than the asking price so how do people manage until they can get the proceeds of their house sale? Thanks.

Many people, who don’t fit letting agency criteria, have more success using Openrent, which means direct contact between landlords and would be tenants, where individual circumstances can be explained.

www.openrent.co.uk/

Some areas, not all, have a lot of surplus “50 years plus” homes, for older tenants, as there is not the demand for those that there is for normal social housing. (Some were transferred from the old sheltered housing system, as local authorities no longer want to subsidise support services to the same level as before). It might be worth looking a few up, in your area, if you fit the age criteria.

You say you have a horrible marriage, and if any abuse is/was involved, most, if not all, local councils housing departments, have a different allocation process for victims of abuse. Your local council housing department, SHELTER, or Women’s Aid will advise.

www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/

england.shelter.org.uk/

Polarbear2 Wed 11-Aug-21 10:14:28

My experience is a bit different. I wanted to leave but stayed through loyalty and fear of the unknown. Then he had an affair and he left!! I was devastated for a while as I saw my ‘life’s work’ come to nothing. But you know - once he’d gone, despite being upset, I knew it was right. I’ve never looked back and been very happy both alone and in new relationships. He however hadn’t been happy and has asked to come back several times. No way. Get yours ducks in rows financially. Get your plan B in place. Then when it’s right go for it. Life is too short.

JillyJosie2 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:50:16

A huge thank you for the answers. People don't understand why I am unhappy, he seems so charming and nice but I've put up with 40 years of subtle put downs and control wrapped up in apparent appeasing and wanting to be helpful. My eyes have only been opened in the last five years and I feel stupid for not seeing what was happening.
The pandemic has made me think about whether I want to spend the rest of my life with this man and would he look after me if I got ill? Apologies for hijacking the thread with my questions but perhaps others are in a similar position to me. Good luck OP.

Livlass Sun 15-Aug-21 08:21:50

Hi, I am 75 hubby 81. Been together 13 years.Married for 4. Both 2nd marriages.Living in his house. I have until this Saturday to decide to whether to take a rental. Due to his coercive control put me downs etc etc I have had enough and had secretly been looking and phoning agents for months It was so so hard. Even though I can afford to pay rent as soon, as I told the agents I was retired they really didn’t want to know. But out of the blue last Friday a friend of a friend 16 miles away told me about someone going to move out in six weeks. I drove over. its so small but a ‘stepping stone’I used to be so confident but now I,m drained and on the edge of another breakdown, mental health has been at rock bottom for weeks so Friday after telling hubby I sat and cried for at least 10 hours. Such a wreck. Maybe I did the wrong thing by telling him, maybe I,m too honest.I should have just left. If I stay I,ll lose my family. They haven’t been to the house for years, because of the atmosphere and all I long to do is cook them a Xmas meal and to see them all happy round the table. So DH has had tears promised me the earth, sell his house, leave his family move miles away etc etc etc. Not going to happen empty promises. What do I do?

Shropshirelass Sun 15-Aug-21 08:33:43

You can have a chat with a solicitor, I believe it is free of charge for the initial half hour meeting. You need to have clarification of where you stand.

MerylStreep Sun 15-Aug-21 08:35:46

LivLass
Go!! A leopard very rarely changes it’s spots. Enjoy the rest of your life with your family ?

NannyJan53 Sun 15-Aug-21 08:43:35

Livlass I agree with MerylyStreep they will promise anything to get you to stay. Once you have they revert back to type. I have been there.

Savvy Sun 15-Aug-21 10:20:20

If you stay you are effectively giving him permission to mistreat you. Things will be great for a while, better than ever, but it won't stay that way for long, he'll soon revert back to his usual behaviour and probably worse than before.

Get out while you have the chance and stay strong.

SimonMiller Thu 19-Aug-21 10:20:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.