Gransnet forums

Relationships

Grandson growing up is upsetting me.. daft I know...

(38 Posts)
Skydancer Sat 18-Sep-21 09:36:58

I've helped with care of my GS since he was a baby. The times we've spent together have been wonderful. Days out in school holidays involving all sorts of activities for example. Taking care of him after school 3 evenings a week while parents work. Now he's 15 and only really interested in his friends. Today I was going to his house to spend the afternoon with him but now he's going out with other lads. I know, I know ..... this is what happens but I miss that boy so much. I don't know how not to feel upset. I know all the usual remedies in that I must get hobbies and interests but I already have plenty. I made him my world and perhaps I shouldn't have. I just feel the years have flown and want to cry.

Shelflife Sat 18-Sep-21 21:06:56

Skydancer, the time and care you have given GS will never be lost. He may prefer to be with his friends now but he will never forget the love and care you gave him and that stability will stand him in good stead for adult life. You have done a great job and when he is older he will remember and appreciate all you did for him .
Now put those new glad rags on and enjoy that day out!

Bluefox Sun 19-Sep-21 00:04:58

I’m pretty sure he’ll come back to you and have an amazing relationship with you but you’ve given him such confidence that he feels able to stretch his wings.
You’ve clearly been an epic Nan, lucky boy! Hang in there a really special (but different) relationship with him will be yours I’m sure.

Nanna58 Sun 19-Sep-21 00:15:32

Oh Skydancer! I feel for you, my boy_ 6 yrs- is my life and I’m already thinking of how hard it will hit me when he doesn’t need me so much. But I’m hoping that , like you, having been such a hands on Nan that there will be a bond strong enough to see out the teenage years and beyond. Loads of love to you x

BigBertha1 Sun 19-Sep-21 07:10:58

I empathise Skydancer with your feelings. MY lovely GS went a bit quiet and moody at 14 and didn't emerge from his bedroom. He is 17 now much more chatty, plays his guitar for us without having to be persuaded and always gives me a really warm hug and shakes DH hand now as a young man should. I'm sure this will happen with your GS too.

Curlywhirly Sun 19-Sep-21 08:40:01

I would just be grateful that he was becoming independent- look at it another way - would you really like a teenager to still be tied to his grandma's (or mum's) apron strings? I can remember when my boys became teenagers and their friends suddenly became their number one priority - it's hard, but completely normal. They are both in their 30s now and are very close to us and we speak several times a week; they go, but do come back!

Skydancer Mon 20-Sep-21 13:19:29

Such positive thoughts here and I feel better having talked it through with you all. When my 2 children grew up I had a job and a busy social life so lots to do once they'd gone. Now, in my 70s, I have no job and not enough energy for much of a social life. The days with my GS were the happiest I've ever known and it's just so hard to realise how old he is and how mature he's becoming. He's my only one so he is so special to me. I know I'll still see plenty of him as he lives locally but just not as much as before. As you say, time doesn't stand still. Thank you, everyone.

Eviebeanz Mon 20-Sep-21 13:34:47

Who knows - you may find that he'll pop into visit with one or more of his pals. More likely if the welcome is cheery and doesn't focus on times when he hasn't been by. Although that can be hard to avoid saying when you miss them. My oldest grandson is about that age and has been and at times is still going through "that stage". Still likes a cuppa and a chat tho.

deedee6969 Tue 28-Sep-21 12:45:00

I was childcare for all my 4 grandchildren from when the eldest was 6 months old, she's 9 now. I also did the nursery/school drop offs and pick ups. Then lockdown happened and it all changed. My daughter in law now works from home permanently so she does the school runs etc now for her 2 children. My daughter goes into work now and I still have the little one (terrible two's ?) but his brother has started school this year so I don't have him no either.
I think the lockdown changed a lot of things which have now become the norm. I miss doing the school runs with them all and their happy chatter but I am also liking having a bit more free time.
I have recently moved a little furthur away too so I'm not able to do them anymore as I'm not in the same village and I don't drive. 2 grandsons had their first sleepover at mine this weekend and I have more planned. I am making the most of the time we have now because they grow up so quickly and then have more freedom, friends etc and they won't have time for anything else. I am happy if they are happy though and they also know that if anything is worrying/bothering them I will always be here for them no matter how old they are.
I'm sure he still loves you loads and if he needs you he knows where you are. They don't stop loving us when they hit their teens. They are just developing into young adults and enjoying their new found freedom with their friends. That's just how it is.
Enjoy your free time xx

asd123 Sun 17-Oct-21 19:41:23

SKYDANCER take comfort from the lovely words of ANNEsixty "a foundation built in the early years seldom crumbles" deep in his heart he will always hold a special love for you as i hope my GS will too,he is only 7 but i too have looked after him since he was a baby 7 days a week and doing the school run currently every day,we have days out together and i love him with all my heart,itoo have been dreading him growing up and away from me but Annesixty has set my mind at rest as i hope she has yours with her words of wisdom.

Rosina Sun 17-Oct-21 22:24:06

He will be back - like our children, who seem to want to break free at some point in the teenage years, but come back again as adults, it happens with the GC too. My oldest GC was with me a great deal when he was tiny - but circumstances meant I didn't see him as often as I would have liked when he was a teenager. Now he is in his twenties and lives nearby; we are friends.

Audi10 Sun 17-Oct-21 23:15:10

I would be happy that I had such a great relationship with my grandson , he’s 15 years old a young man making his way in the world, he will come back I’m sure

luluaugust Mon 18-Oct-21 17:30:01

I know the feeling of missing being part of the GC's every day life now but it is a natural progression of life. I have recently had a chat with my son who is missing his son who has recently left home. He said how surprised he was he missed him so much, I had to gently smile and say tell me about it!