Gransnet forums

Relationships

Adult children.

(33 Posts)
Jezra Fri 28-Jan-22 20:11:17

I love my DS and think he has a great partner. She is lovely. I don’t interfere in his life with his partner, only give advice if it is asked for and always support them in their choices in life whether I agree with them or not. They are adults and it is up to them how they live their lives of course. However, I always contact him, he never takes the initiative to contact me. If I leave it he won’t message me or ask to see me.
Are any others in the same position? I don’t want to live in his pocket but it would be nice if he contacted me once in a while.
It makes me sad.

Jezra Sat 29-Jan-22 18:02:31

Aw thanks everyone everyone, I feel so much better. I tend to send him communications by Messenger on fb and he does reply, albeit concise!
However, when we do meet up it’s great and quality time so I should be grateful and does it really matter if it’s me who does all the initial messages? Probably not. ?

marymary62 Sun 30-Jan-22 09:41:15

I think that’s right Jezra - it sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your son, let it be as it is and be joyful x

Jezra Sun 30-Jan-22 15:18:29

Thanks marymary62.

Sazzy Wed 23-Mar-22 11:51:17

I feel so upset. We have always tried to support and help all 3 of our adult children. They all seem happily married and have good jobs. We decided some years ago that we would help them financially if we could while they were still young and needed the money, rather them wait and inherit it. Over the last 20 years we have given them a very substantial amount of money each, always equal amounts.. However recently we have felt that our two daughters have been very inconsiderate and at times very hurtful. One daughter lives abroad and was due to come home on a visit during the pandemic, she got upset over the fact that her brother couldn't come to see her exactly when she wanted, she was angry with him and then fell out with us because she said we took his side. In a temper she cancelled her trip home which really upset me esp as we had the pandemic and had little opportunity to see her (in the end it was over a year before we got to see her). She moaned to her sister who decided not to speak to us for over 2 months. She later told me that she did it to support her sister. I became so stressed that I became ill with it all. Last September the daughter who is abroad got married we paid £20000 towards it. Today we got some packages delivered, photo albums from the wedding. One large and two small, she wants us to take them over when we next visit. I assumed that one of them was for us but no they are both for her husbands parents (they are divorced) none for us. I feel really hurt. When I said Oh! she said well they asked us for an album each they paid for the photographer as a present. I feel taken for granted. When they fell out with us before I said how can you behave like this after all we have done for you, to which my daughter said you shouldn't use money as a weapon. I wasn't even thinking of the money! It was so hurtful. I really don't know how to cope with them, Im frightened of upsetting them as they may stop talking to us again. I keep thinking what have we ever done to deserve being treated like this.

Jane43 Wed 23-Mar-22 12:06:30

I have two sons, 55 and 53. My older son texts me several times a week but the number of texts from my younger son on my phone are in single figures. They are very different personalities, my younger son is a man of few words like his Dad but has a heart of gold, is always happy to see us, would always be there for us if we needed him and I have many texts a week from his wife. When I think back I used to have to nag my DH to call his mother but of course he loved her dearly. Don’t be sad, your relationship is very typical these days.

CraftyGranny Wed 23-Mar-22 12:06:36

grannyrebel7

That's sons for you, mine is exactly the same. We have a great relationship, but it's always me who has to call him. My daughter on the other hand calls me regularly probably about three times a week sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it Jezra.

I agree. I have three sons who do just the same. But there in an instant if I need them, as I am sure your son would be Jezra

Nothing to worry about though. flowers

imaround Mon 28-Mar-22 03:52:00

I agree with everyone who says get WhatsApp. The younger crowd do not like phone calls. It gets worse the younger they are. I have teens and they just will not use the phone. Would even prefer to make appointments online if they can.

I have several group texts always going. Me with my sisters, me with my husband, sister and BIL, and me with my husband and both kids. We are in constant contact daily because of this.