Gransnet forums

Relationships

Feel a bit sad and unwanted

(106 Posts)
Skydancer Mon 11-Apr-22 12:25:05

Have spent school holidays helping with GS now aged 15 all his life. So many wonderful times. His parents both work. This holiday DD has hinted I'm not needed as he's fine on his own. The area is very safe and he'll obviously go out with friends. I've said I'll pop in to check on him but I can tell neither she nor my GS think this is necessary. Feel so sad I could cry. I feel that some supervision is needed as 15 is a tricky age and a guiding hand is sometimes required although it's more that I shall feel lost. I feel pathetic and as if I've wasted years

effalump Wed 13-Apr-22 11:07:33

Play some music and dance like no-one's watching. Here's a few to try:- 'Get on your feet', Gloria Estefan; 'Let's Get Loud', Jennifer Lopez and 'Walking on Sunshine', Katrina and the Waves.

Treetops05 Wed 13-Apr-22 12:29:26

Perhaps a thankyou for previous years would have helped. I'd arrange a lunch out somewhere grown up every 2-3 weeks...

Nannina Wed 13-Apr-22 14:08:48

My gd is now 15 and I’m not needed in the same way but it’s been lovely to see her grow and develop a close relationship with her. She visits and the tables are turning- she’s now asking me if I want a drink gettingsmile

Missiseff Wed 13-Apr-22 22:07:24

Wasted years are ones not spent with them. You've been very lucky.

Beanutz2115 Sun 17-Apr-22 20:40:08

No not wasted years, celebrate that you have helped him grow up into a confident well rounded human being, who is able to look after himself without the need of an adult. He will always remember you and the happy times you had tog.