Gransnet forums

Relationships

daughter told me she is in relationship with another girl

(61 Posts)
Jemimatheragdoll Thu 10-Nov-22 19:21:47

This is my first time on here, I would like others perspectives and thoughts - my youngest child is 21 and has always had lots of platonic friends of both sexes. She is lovely, kind and happy, I have always been proud of her and we have always been very close. Me and her father have not been together for many years, he was abusive to all of us, she does not have a relationship with him. She has lots of close male platonic friends but never to my knowledge had a boyfriend. In the past year she has been close to a girl on her course at university who I like a lot, they have a lot in common. It had crossed my mind a few times that they were together as a couple but never said anything like that, I have never been one for prying in to the lives of my children, I think they will tell me in their own time if there is anything to tell me. The other day (on a video call, she is at uni a way from home, we talk every day) she told me there was something she wanted to tell me. I asked her if she was OK and she said yes there was nothing wrong, she was happy. I said it sounded like something was important to tell me but it seemed difficult to tell me. I told her that it could be something I already knew and then she told me she is in a relationship with this girl. I said are you happy, she said yes and I said that if she is happy, that is all I want, I told her I love her, am proud of her and the girl in question is lovely, I like the way she fits in when she comes to stay at our house with her. I cant say it is a shock, also, I know that young people are more and more able to make choices about who they have relationships with. I do feel something, not sure exactly what it is but I think it is that when she was a baby I enjoyed her so much, I loved being a mother and there is some sadness that she may never know that feeling. I know that is all my stuff but still its there although I would never tell her that. I know lots of women have relationships with other women these days and then also go on to have relationships with men which perhaps something that is in the back of my head and I should not think that way, this is all about her choice, and her life. Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had a similar experience please. Thanks in advance.

MadameChirac Thu 10-Nov-22 21:35:23

She is 21, not 15 - so you hve to let her make her choices, and be there for her.

Has Jemimatheragdoll suggested that she won't let her make choices and won't be there for her? confused

LOUISA1523 Thu 10-Nov-22 21:41:48

My friends daughter has just had twin boys ....she been married to another woman for 3 years....she went to a clinic and was pregnant on the first attempt

Hithere Thu 10-Nov-22 21:53:43

First - that is great news! Finding a compatible person is difficult and your dd is happy

Why wouldn't she have kids (if she wants them)?
Both adoption and biological are two totally viable options

Granny23 Thu 10-Nov-22 22:15:38

I used to know a lesbian couple who looked alike and dressed alike - at first I thought they were twins. After a bit, first one and then a year later the other was pregnant and they had a boy and a girl who also looked like each other. Not surprising as the sperm donors were each other's brothers. I once met one of the Grannies who was thrilled that the babies were both her natural grandchildren.

Wyllow3 Thu 10-Nov-22 22:23:48

NanKate

Isn’t it great that we are more accepting of different forms of relationships, which in our parents day would have caused a riot?

My close friend has just gone through her son becoming her daughter at the age of 47, which has been quite shock but slowly she has been able to accept this new situation.

Good for her NanKate (both "hers")

Jemimatheragdoll seems like you have just acquired a second lovely daughter.

Thank goodness things have changed.

Smileless2012 Thu 10-Nov-22 22:25:55

As has been said Jemimatheragdoll she may be a mum one day and if she ever becomes one, she's been set a wonderful example by you flowers.

Grantanow Fri 11-Nov-22 00:40:06

It's her choice and her life. Just be supportive.

Visgir1 Fri 11-Nov-22 09:11:33

You should be congratulated on bring up a confident daughter who is able to talk to you.
I have 2 cousins who each have daughters in same Sex relationship, everyone is happy.
Life takes us in different directions, we just embrace it.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Nov-22 10:25:35

Your daughter must be so relieved you are accepting of her relationship. As for children it’s not impossible as has been said. As for your other question, yes a couple of my dd girlfriends were in same sex relationships for many years yet suddenly married men and became mothers. Not everyone is able though whoever they are with and it what it is..
Wishing you well. You sound a great mum and hopefully one day a happy grandma. B

Cheeseplantmad Fri 11-Nov-22 10:39:06

My daughter were in a very similar situation 25 years ago , and she is still with the lady in question now . This are both very happy, lead good lives as both have good jobs . My daughter is now 45 , going back 10 years or so ago , I asked her how she felt about having children as her body clock is running out , she told me that they were both very happy and don’t feel the need to have children . You couldn’t ask for a happier couple so having children is not everything .

Lucca Fri 11-Nov-22 10:57:07

Grantanow

It's her choice and her life. Just be supportive.

She is being supportive ,

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 10:58:46

MadameChirac

^She is 21, not 15 - so you hve to let her make her choices, and be there for her.^

Has Jemimatheragdoll suggested that she won't let her make choices and won't be there for her? confused

Clearly implied that mum hopes this is a 'phase' and that she will return to 'normality' in the future.

Doodledog Fri 11-Nov-22 11:06:54

Really? I can't see any clear implication of that at all. I see a mum who has heard something about her daughter that she hadn't realised was the case, and is sharing her experience with other mums.

The OP has accepted that any concerns are 'her stuff' and shows no disapproval of her daughter whatsoever. She sounds to me very supportive.

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Nov-22 11:07:47

Please don't feel like a fraud here LadyHonoriaDedlock
It's just the way life pans out. I think you are welcome here flowers

Also, flowers to jemimatheragdoll - I hope you feel less rag-dollish soon.
Thinking of you.

ParlorGames Fri 11-Nov-22 11:08:38

She could have said 'I'm terminally ill'.
She could have said 'I'm dropping out of university because I hate the course/tutors/student life'
She could have said 'I'm cutting you out of my life and want nothing more to do with you'

What she DID say was 'I am happy, I am in a relationship with another girl'

Leave her be, she is happy, what more could you wish for?

JulesJ Fri 11-Nov-22 11:20:07

I do understand your worries as I shared them once but they were totally unfounded.

Being in a same sex relationship doesn't preclude having children.

My friend's daughter and her wife became a very happy mums through IVF and my own son and his partner have adopted 2 lovely boys.

The most important thing here is that she is happy. If she ever wants children of her own, and is able to, there is nothing standing in her way just because her partner is another female.

Well done for being as supportive as you have been, it will mean a huge amount to your daughter.

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Nov-22 11:20:43

I don't understand some of the responses the OP is getting hereconfused. She's clearly being very supportive of the D she loves.

MadameChirac Fri 11-Nov-22 11:46:58

Clearly implied that mum hopes this is a 'phase' and that she will return to 'normality' in the future

No she does not! Nowhere in her op does Jemimatheragdoll ever refer to normality, nor does she even hint that her daughter has anything less than her 100% support. The negativity your seeing in the op is your own FleurPepper. Which is expected.

Grammaretto Fri 11-Nov-22 12:07:33

I think it's natural to have concerns and worries about our DC.
In this case a bit more because it's outside the realm of our own experience.

Also, at least when I was growing up in the 1960s, homosexuality was still illegal for men, and I can remember some of the disapproval and tittle tattle among my parents friends and even school mates about being queer. Prejudice doesn't disappear overnight and we hate the thought that our own DC or DGC should be on the receiving end. We always want to protect them

Hithere Fri 11-Nov-22 13:41:45

Op

You are thinking too far ahead

Your dd is 21 - this could be her partner for life or not.

The main question is - what does your dd think about having kids?

Or does her sexual orientation worry you as you want gc?

Norah Fri 11-Nov-22 14:17:21

Fleurpepper Clearly implied that mum hopes this is a 'phase' and that she will return to 'normality' in future.

No, that is false.

Mum is lovely and quite supportive.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 11-Nov-22 14:22:15

You have done exactly the right thing when you spoke to your daughter.

I should think there is every chance of the three of you forming a good solid relationship as mother, daughter and mother-in-law.

Well done!

Mollygo Fri 11-Nov-22 14:31:06

FleurPepper
Clearly implied that mum hopes this is a 'phase' and that she will return to 'normality' in the future.

Where did she do that?

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 11-Nov-22 14:33:20

grandtante is exactly right - the future looks good for you as mum and mum- in - law, and maybe in time grandmother

sharon103 Fri 11-Nov-22 15:09:29

Yes the same for me. I bought 3 young children up on my own since a divorce in 1987. I have a daughter who had school boyfriends and a fairly long relationship when she met a young man when she went to work but then split up after a couple of years
Daughter is now 44 and had a same sex relationship when she was about 20. Still living at home I knew there was something she wanted to tell me.
I'll be honest. At that time 24 years ago I just could't accept it. It took me a very long time to get my head around it all.
She eventually left home to live with a girl and by that time I had got used to the situation. I accepted her partner, did wallpapering for them and visited when I could. This relationship ended after a couple of years.
She went into another relationship and lived only 3 miles from me and they bought a house together. I can honestly say I loved her like another daughter. We all used to go out together, to the seaside, shopping. Everything.
Sadly, they broke up after more than 10 years. I still miss her and wish they were both together still.
Fast forward, my daughter as I say is 44 now has been in a rocky relationship with a lady for the past 5 years. the partner lived in my daughters house for a year then split up. Went back together after a while but didn't live together.
Then at the end of May this year daughters partner gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl and now they live together.
I still have doubts about whether this relationship will last forever but we all get on fine.
I love this little baby more than words can say. I can't wait for the day she can toddle about and we can play together and look after her. Her 1st Christmas. I never thought I could fall in love again, but I have.
As long as your daughter is happy I just want to say, be happy for her.
She may have children of her own one day or her partner might.
Don't pin your hopes up on your daughter having a male partner. She may not.
Always be there for her even to pick up the pieces if things go wrong.
As long as she's happy in her life, that's all that matters.
I dare say people have had things to say about my daughter and her same sex life but you know what, I don't care.
Lots of love xxx