Gransnet forums

Relationships

Asking girls if they have a boyfriend

(90 Posts)
LadySybil Mon 21-Nov-22 20:07:45

When I was a teenager certain family members would always ask me if I had a boyfriend. Some would ask it every time I saw them and I hated it. Since my daughter went to college I have a couple of good friends who frequently ask me if she has a boyfriend. She has never told me about a boy but that doesn’t worry me. It’a her business and she’ll tell me if she wants to. I wonder too if they have never thought about how it would be if she preferred girls or if she didn’t want to go out with anyone or if noone ever had asked her out. The two friends who ask alot if she has a bf (I don’t see them together they don’t know each other) don’t even know my daughter. And it never feels like they are just asking out of politeness. I told one of them today that my daughter likes to keep her business private and I’m any case whether young people have a girl or boyfriend isn’t really something that concerns me. She has rather taken offence at this and gone very quiet on me. It was the umpteenth time she had asked me over the last few months and I thought it better to tell her openly about how I feel about the question. Why do some grown ups ask children and young people if they have a girl/boyfriend and how can people respond when the question isn’t welcome?

NanKate Mon 21-Nov-22 22:37:56

I believe it was Wilfred Pickles who always asked contestants in Have a Go ‘Are you courting’?

welbeck Mon 21-Nov-22 22:40:28

in our twenties, on hearing that a friend of mine had her own flat, a bossy woman declared,
oh, you must do a lot of baking.
puzzled friend replied, no i don't do any baking.
bossy retorted, what's the point of having a flat and not doing baking!

Taylor2016 Mon 21-Nov-22 23:03:24

This has brought back memories to me…. I was born in another country have lived in UK for forty plus year’s. I got divorced & periodically would take female friends to my birth place.
On many occasions I was asked if I was gay as I only ever bring female friends to visit …….do my children approve?!

Doodledog Mon 21-Nov-22 23:06:30

welbeck

in our twenties, on hearing that a friend of mine had her own flat, a bossy woman declared,
oh, you must do a lot of baking.
puzzled friend replied, no i don't do any baking.
bossy retorted, what's the point of having a flat and not doing baking!

Had she confused having a flat with having a food mixer?

Hithere Mon 21-Nov-22 23:24:01

Wow taylor!

That takes the cake

Grammaretto Mon 21-Nov-22 23:54:25

You have brought back memories. "Did he kiss you?" was the first question after my very first date, from my mum.

I wouldn't ask a young person if they had a partner - but I might speculate.

The same with other personal questions.

My DMiL is losing her filters. I took her out to lunch last week and looking across the room to another table, she said, in quite a loud voice. "Is that the woman I hate?"

CocoPops Tue 22-Nov-22 00:44:24

Ooh I know what you mean.
When I was widowed several friends repeatedly asked me if I had found a new man. Most were genuinely concerned for my happiness and others were just curious.
I did not want their advice to find a partner at the local U3A or to try online dating either!

Doodledog Tue 22-Nov-22 00:59:09

My DMiL is losing her filters. I took her out to lunch last week and looking across the room to another table, she said, in quite a loud voice. "Is that the woman I hate?"

grin grin It's a matter of time for my mum.

Mad Auntie X has been like that since she was young. At the funeral mentioned above, my mum was there with her partner (my father was long dead) and Auntie X boomed across the room 'Oh, Horatio! You must be Ermentrude's lover, is that right?' My poor mum was speechless.

happycatholicwife1 Tue 22-Nov-22 01:04:55

Times and interests and opportunities were different. Some of y'all can really hold a grudge.

Hetty58 Tue 22-Nov-22 05:48:14

I have two sons and two daughters. For years (well, decades, really) I was constantly asked about their girl/boyfriends by my sister and mother - when I'd be the last to know and couldn't even keep up with the changes myself! Three of them are in settled relationships, now, with children. One, the youngest, is even married. Still, the eldest has a constantly changing round of girlfriends. Now, the 'enquiries' are about whether he'll ever settle down and be a father - at his advanced age - of 43!

Witzend Tue 22-Nov-22 06:02:02

It’s a response I’ve never actually used, but a good one I read of years ago was, ‘If you’ll forgive me for not answering that question, I’ll forgive you for asking it.’

I should have used it many years ago when a neighbour we still have, asked me at our first meeting how much we’d paid for our house. In those days it Just Wasn’t Done - nowadays of course you can have a good old nose on NetHousePrices.😂

Witzend Tue 22-Nov-22 06:21:50

Grammaretto, 😂 you reminded me of dh’s old aunt, also no filter.
Also in a restaurant, at the top of her voice, ’Why does that waitress wear such a short skirt with legs like that?’
Talk about cringe!

dogsmother Tue 22-Nov-22 08:39:22

Sounds altogether as my home island. Most of the above comments are part of daily life still.

Ailidh Tue 22-Nov-22 08:59:50

I had reached the menopause before my Mum stopped asking, "Have you met Anybody Nice?"

(No, and still not yet BTW 😊)

M0nica Tue 22-Nov-22 17:44:54

DD decided when she was 4 that she did not want to be a mummy when she grew up, and around 20 when she decided she was too uncompromising to ever make a relationship work. I completely agree with her!

No member of our family or broader friendship group has ever queried or doubted her decision or thought she would change her mind.. She is now nearly 50, happily single, with her own home and a good job.

Allsorts Wed 23-Nov-22 22:51:09

I would answer I haven't asked, that's her/his business. Usually shuts them up.

LuckyFour Thu 24-Nov-22 11:23:07

I have a beautiful 21 year old granddaughter who is doing interesting travel and exciting jobs. I don't know if she has a boyfriend although she has friends of both sexes. She'll tell me if she meets the right person but he/she will have to be very special indeed to be a match for her.

HeavenLeigh Thu 24-Nov-22 11:26:17

Around where we live some people will ask if he or she is seeing someone at the mo, I tell them to say yeah loads they when I look out of the window! Pigs and cows too

aonk Thu 24-Nov-22 11:33:10

When my oldest child was one my we moved into a new house. A neighbour came to “welcome” us. She asked how many children we were planning to have “because Irish people always have large families.” My DH had an Irish surname. Later on we did have another child but not without some problems.

nanna8 Thu 24-Nov-22 11:34:34

We used to get asked when we were having children all the time when I was first married at the age of 19. I used to tell them we weren’t having any. Then when we did have 4 we would never tell anyone I was pregnant until I was about 5 months gone and showing. None of their business. My grandchildren ring me up and tell me when they are about 3 weeks pregnant now. How times change.

CountryMouse22 Thu 24-Nov-22 11:34:54

It's implying that a person has no value unless they have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Horrible. I had this a lot as a teen - I was a late starter!

SachaMac Thu 24-Nov-22 11:36:34

I remember being asked this quite often as a young teenager in the 70’s by all kinds of people. It made me cringe & feel that maybe I was doing something wrong & that perhaps I should have a steady boyfriend. At nearly 18 I met, fell in love with & married my lovely late DH and we were married over 40years. Funny how once you are in a relationship no one ever seems to ask the question. I think they were just plain nosey or couldn’t think of anything else to ask you, it made absolutely no difference to them whether I had a boyfriend or not.
Strangely enough nearly 50 years on I have been asked the same question about my teenage GC, nothing like as often so I suppose that’s an improvement. I just reply with ‘I have no idea’ which I genuinely don’t and won’t be asking them that question.

Peaseblossom Thu 24-Nov-22 11:40:22

happycatholicwife1. Are you on the right thread?!

ParlorGames Thu 24-Nov-22 11:46:50

Peaseblossom

*happycatholicwife1*. Are you on the right thread?!

I was wondering that too! Perhaps happycatholicwife1 could come back and enlighten us.

handbaghoarder Thu 24-Nov-22 11:53:03

Totally agree CountryMouse22. To me its the implying and “insinuation” in the question that is so disrespectful. I used to get this all the time from a young work colleague who had attended school with my youngest son. I used to make light of it but wondered what exactly she was implying. ( And yes. I should have asked her outright ) Querying his sexuality maybe? Who cares? As long as he’s happy so are we.