Gransnet forums

Relationships

Suggestion how to deal with unprovoked abuse

(37 Posts)
Shortbread Wed 11-Jan-23 21:58:36

I am 72 and after 50 years with ups and downs OT rages inexplicably and today punched me and told me to get out of the car., because I failed to exit the parking space the way he would have done. I have made my own way home -25 miles- bus and train and am at loss how to communicate with him.

Nannashirlz Thu 12-Jan-23 12:13:20

Having lived in a abused relationship myself for over 25yrs my advice would be leave don’t make excuses for his behaviour it might have being accepted yrs ago but not now it’s not love is not hurting someone and having dropped you 25miles from home that is controlling behaviour go to your doctors and contact police and ask them for help. You deserve better and you are worth more than what he is showing you

Caleo Thu 12-Jan-23 13:20:18

One way to help to protect yourself may be to identify what sort of trigger sets him off.

Has he a big loss of self esteem?

Lizbethann55 Thu 12-Jan-23 14:28:53

Shortbread. How are you? Where have you spent the past day? We all hope that you have found somewhere safe to stay and someone to talk to who knows you both.

SunshineSally Thu 12-Jan-23 14:33:01

Thinking of you shortbread and hoping that everything is ok. Do come back and update us - we’re all worried and hoping you’re safe x

Bird40 Thu 12-Jan-23 18:11:59

How are you? This is an awful situation to be put in.
Has this ever happened before. Has it been esculating, more frequent verbal attacks etc before this?
Please do get some advice from a solicitor.
I want to say leave the house but I appreciate that this might make it difficult if you decide to divorce. Do you any friends that he could stay with or any mutual friends that you could talk to about this?
Please lean on someone so that you're not on your own
Weather this is a symptom of illness on his part, is irrelevant when it comes to your safety❤️
Could you take a holiday somewhere for a week or so away from him?x

pascal30 Thu 12-Jan-23 18:15:01

Hithere

Call the police, make a report, get a lawyer and leave

This...

Horti Thu 12-Jan-23 19:53:17

I e had a similar escalation of unprovoked rage
I’ve spoken with Gp and will get further social advise from a team member however all this takes time
I’m still not sure if it is dementia or similar starting up ( family history of ) or just ageing rage and frustrations boiling over
I agree it’s very tough to know what to do and my sympathies are with you
I was shocked by a similar outburst
I think Refuge etc can help you define what’s happening
It’s important to keep records and also as previously said get financial/legal advise

Delila Thu 12-Jan-23 23:22:54

I hope you’re ok Shortbread and that you have kept yourself out of harm’s way since you posted yesterday. Your OH sounds volatile and unpredictable, and you are at risk if you stay at home. Don’t try to face this alone, inexplicable rages are more than ups and downs, and now you’ve been physically assaulted and abandoned 25 miles from home - it’s not acceptable is it? Don’t keep it to yourself, there is help out there.

Chapeau Thu 12-Jan-23 23:26:20

Are you both at home together now? If so, I think you should leave immediately. You are at risk.

crazyH Thu 12-Jan-23 23:29:42

Shortbread - how are you ?

Ginny42 Thu 12-Jan-23 23:33:24

Just a note to say I'm thinking of you Shortbread and hoping you are safe.