Gransnet forums

Relationships

Desperate for advice please ..

(104 Posts)
DeeDe Mon 16-Jan-23 11:13:31

Really need some advice please
Around a 6 weeks ago I met really nice man in his late 60s same age as myself
I felt sorry for him as alone over Xmas, and invited him round for Xmas dinner he lives about 30 mins drive away
His popped over once or somtimes twice a week since, the last time yesterday
His now talking long term and should I want to move into his home etc I thought at first we may get along fine, but did try to slow him down,
I started getting my doubts about our compatibility, as there seems now not much we like the same, ie holidays, tv programmes, day to day running of the home etc and realised his a off for a drink while wifey cooks meals, then in armchair while wifey washes and tidies up .. very old school and says how his deceased wife did this and that, he leaves after around 3 hours and I’m then stuck with all the washing up he brings meetfree food he likes for me to cook, and did buy us fish and chips last week ..
he turns my tv up so loud, turns the big lights on, where I like just side lights, he doesn’t even like the same food as me.
It’s all only his way as his not unkind and somehow his very kind
But I’m now starting to dread him coming over, and his continuous daily phone calls
His told his family about me, and how lovely I am and their looking forward to meeting me
I’m dreading telling him, I don’t want to continue seeing him, how the heck do I tell and put it to him without being unkind
He even said yesterday I should think about getting a divorce incase I want to re marry again ..I’m in a pickle here
Appreciate any advice please

OnwardandUpward Sat 21-Jan-23 19:27:16

Isn't it funny when anonymous people try to tell other anonymous people what they can and can't do on an anonymous forum where we can all have the freedom of speech to do and say whatever we want as long as it's not unkind or breaking any rules. grin

It amuses me. I don't ever let anyone shut me down if I want to speak. They can hide the thread if they want to.

WDYS Wed 25-Jan-23 13:46:54

Up front and honest works every time. Well done Deede. It was only a 6 week relationship so no real harm done. I'm sure he'll be moving on to the next one. You'll know the signs next time.

Warbler Sun 19-Feb-23 05:28:04

He's making you feel very uncomfortable, yet you seem to be making him very comfortable - making him meals, not allowing him to help with the washing up. Why? I'd be seething at the gills. Next time he calls, unexpectedly, answer the door with your coat on and say that you are going out and it is an inconvenient time. That's just for starters. I like ExDancers reply saying to him "I value my independence too much" to get involved further. Marrying him? No........hang on a mo. Get a divorce.........I think you know deep down you already know what you have to do.