Gransnet forums

Relationships

My DS says I'm old and eccentric

(136 Posts)
Romola Sun 22-Jan-23 15:17:48

My DS has been to visit me this weekend, DiL being away working.
The weather is really cold and I'm wearing a thermal vest, cotton roll-neck and a really thick cardie. also thick socks and tights under a warm skirt. The central heating is on and I'm not cold.
DS arrived wearing a t-shirt and a thin jumper more suitable imo for a warmish day in April. I have still got one jumper which belonged to his father, my deceased DH, which I offered him but he declined.
He said I should be heating the house more and that it would "make me happier" if I did.
I said that I was fine with the heating, plus gas fir if required, since I do wear suitable clothes for the season.
He said "Mummy, you are old and eccentric."
In truth, I think he's the eccentric one.

Lyndylou Sun 22-Jan-23 18:12:22

I like the Bohemian label Iam64 I might use that for my house. I told my DIL in random conversation that I was having a decluttering January and getting rid of 1 thing a day. She said "It's going to take a long time to clear your house at that rate". I didn't realise my house needed clearing completely, more a bit of tidying up.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 22-Jan-23 18:15:41

Old and eccentric? Wear the label with pride Romola- and welcome to the club!

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 18:23:27

Excentric is not about wearing layers though- that is just common sense!

Glorianny Sun 22-Jan-23 18:28:49

Replies to your son
Old? well it happens! Eccentric? -Oh I hope so!
You could try as well -"I'm working on it"
"I hope to get better (or worse depending on your point of view). So be warned."
I'm in slippers, fleecy lounging pants and a big fleecy jumper., with thermal underwear. Not even decently dressed!! so you are one better than me.

Georgesgran Sun 22-Jan-23 18:34:45

HowVDY - I’ve been stuck at home with a cold this week and have had my heating on similar hours to yours - absolutely horrified that it’s been costing @£12 a day!!! Not sustainable for me.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 22-Jan-23 18:37:33

Georgesgran We pay £191 a month for gas and electricity (almost all of it on gas). I'm home all the time and I'm not going to be cold

choughdancer Sun 22-Jan-23 18:41:02

Well if you are, Romola, I am too (old and eccentric that is!). I'm wearing two pairs of leggings, two pairs of socks, two thermal long sleeved vests, a top, a jumper and an enormous fleecy zip up jacket thing on top. I have no heating on; I live alone so it is more efficient to keep my body warm rather than the house. Electric blanket on my bed, and a fleecy wrap handy to put over my knees if necessary.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 18:41:09

Well yes, HVDY - but one more reason to use common sense and put on some layers to help, no?

Georgesgran Sun 22-Jan-23 18:45:10

That’s very good HVDY - I pay £200 (Octopus) and I’m in a bit of credit, but the cost of energy for my enforced ‘house arrest’ through illness, was quite a shock, although last week was especially cold up here.

Iam64 Sun 22-Jan-23 18:46:30

George’s gran, one of my daughters has put her smart meter in a cupboard, the other simply refused to have one. Mine was £16 one day when I charged my hybrid car as well as keeping the heating on all day. I have Reynauds so hand n feet like ice blocks if I don’t keep toasty.

Georgesgran Sun 22-Jan-23 18:48:01

My kids tend to say I’ve lost my marbles!
Amazingly though, they still ask my advice on quite serious stuff!

I always say I’ve spent 50 years trying to perfect being daft, but not quite as daft as I look.

MiniMoon Sun 22-Jan-23 18:52:32

I'm sitting in my living room with the log burner ablaze. It's a comfortable temperature, but I'm wearing slippers with warm socks, thick jeans and roll neck fleece sweater with a tee shirt underneath. I have a home made crochet blanket over my knees. I have dispensed with the wooly shawl I was wearing earlier.
I have been told by many people that I am quirky, and my adult children know that I am.
We are all unique and individual, I wouldn't worry about being eccentric.

ExDancer Sun 22-Jan-23 18:54:34

I'm old enough to remember ice on the inside of the single glazed windows, and liberty bodices (wish we could still get them). Heating a house so that it's warm enough to sit around in a tee shirt is criminal when you consider the effect on global warming.
What are your bills like?

cornergran Sun 22-Jan-23 18:57:06

I’m wearing similar layers with the addition of fingerless gloves while I was using the computer for a couple of hours. Two teenage granddaughters came to visit - crop tops and jeans. Aren’t you cold? No not at all. Blimey! Having said that they did have coats, must be cold then, it’s a rarity.

BrambleJelly Sun 22-Jan-23 20:11:39

Romola, you "wear suitable clothes for the season". I agree. I'm wearing a vest, tee shirt, thin jumper, woollen cardi, with a fleece ready for an extra layer if needed. My house isn't easy to heat so it seems sensible to heat me rather than the air. Surely it's eccentric to be wearing summer clothes in the middle of winter?

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jan-23 20:31:23

One gas fire Long sleeved thermal, jumper over the top
Jogging bottoms Thick socks and sock slippers if I m going to be in the other rooms for any length of time a hottie bottle round my waist
Eccentric is a complement
Worry not you’re fine

annsixty Sun 22-Jan-23 20:40:42

Aged 85, heating on all day from 7am to 9:30pm but only at 17 degrees.
I stay in bed until approximately 9:30 and then dress accordingly.
My utilities are £302 per month.
Call me eccentric but accept I will suit myself as to what I need.

Luckygirl3 Sun 22-Jan-23 20:42:53

Those of us who wear layers are saving the planet by using less heating. I get quite cross about people swanning around in summer type clothes indoors in the winter. It is a ridiculous waste of resources.
I am wearing a thick long sleeved thermal vest and a heavyweight fleece top.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 22-Jan-23 22:16:50

Fleurpepper Are you suggesting I haven't got any commonsense? I do put on extra layers - who do you think it helps by me doing that?

Lexisgranny Sun 22-Jan-23 22:37:27

It is many many years since I wore a vest, but this year I have, albeit rather than the traditional white one of my childhood, it is now a long sleeved thermal one. However come to think of it that’s not quite true. It’s a long time ago, but exactly when I can’t recall, bright red and royal blue long sleeved vests and knee length knickers became very fashionable. I seem to that they were demurely edged in very scratchy narrow lace. Please someone, tell me I haven’t misremembered that, though either way the thought of them is the stuff of nightmares!

Redhead56 Sun 22-Jan-23 23:59:52

I went to our DS house today in a chunky midi polo neck dress. Thick tights and boots because I was cold I always am.

I have been told I am eccentric for years not necessarily by our DS or DD. I don’t get offended by it at all it’s being different and it’s nice to be different rather than stereotyped.

Callistemon21 Mon 23-Jan-23 00:06:35

Nothing wrong with being eccentric!

I do hope your cardigan is purple, Romola!

Chestnut Mon 23-Jan-23 00:28:59

Baggs

Tell your DS, if he makes such comments again, that if he pays the heating bills you'll warm the house to his requirements.

Best comment here 😂😂😂😂

nanna8 Mon 23-Jan-23 06:50:18

Better than being young and daft though!

eazybee Mon 23-Jan-23 08:50:25

I would say your son is the eccentric one, first for expecting you to raise the temperature of the heating so he can continue to dress as though it is summer.