Gransnet forums

Relationships

My DS says I'm old and eccentric

(136 Posts)
Romola Sun 22-Jan-23 15:17:48

My DS has been to visit me this weekend, DiL being away working.
The weather is really cold and I'm wearing a thermal vest, cotton roll-neck and a really thick cardie. also thick socks and tights under a warm skirt. The central heating is on and I'm not cold.
DS arrived wearing a t-shirt and a thin jumper more suitable imo for a warmish day in April. I have still got one jumper which belonged to his father, my deceased DH, which I offered him but he declined.
He said I should be heating the house more and that it would "make me happier" if I did.
I said that I was fine with the heating, plus gas fir if required, since I do wear suitable clothes for the season.
He said "Mummy, you are old and eccentric."
In truth, I think he's the eccentric one.

nomoreusernames Tue 24-Jan-23 07:14:00

Im dressed almost identical.Heating off blanket and hot water bottle.Couldnt afford to have the heating on all day.Sometimes have my gas hob on at a peep when below freezing though.

BlueBalou Tue 24-Jan-23 07:32:17

I’d be quite happy if my DCs thought me eccentric!
I’m wearing a warm shirt, wool jumper, hand knitted wool socks and cord jeans, I’m comfortably warm.

cc Tue 24-Jan-23 07:54:41

VioletSky

Eccentric is a massive compliment as far as I'm concerned

I agree, why follow the flock?!
To me this would definitely be a compliment.

MeowWow Tue 24-Jan-23 09:50:42

I think most of us are a little eccentric in one way or the other 🙂 and so is your adult son who still calls you mummy! He’s young and eccentric! At the moment I’m wearing a thermal vest, thin cotton trousers, thin long sleeved top and a cardigan plus socks and slippers. The heating is off and I’m not cold at all. There’s no way I could wear loads of layers and have the heating on. I’d melt!

Gundy Tue 24-Jan-23 13:35:28

Good morning from USA!
It’s cold here 20F outside, no sun, thankfully no wind. As I get older, I! hate! winter! more and more - but do want snow at Holiday time. Can’t help that.

Generally, men tend to run hot compared to women, who mostly tend to be colder.

Layer up if you don’t want to run some heat, but I find that when I’m active in the house (cleaning, cooking) I wear less and don’t feel cold. It’s only when you sit around that you feel chilly.

For those who use heating pads, hot water bottles - lay them across your upper thighs. It warms you up FASTER because of the two major arteries carrying your blood throughout your body. It’s amazing!

Everyone gets “eccentric” as they age and get stuck in their routines and opinions. It’s a privilege to finally feel unhampered by what others think about you after spending a younger lifetime trying, wanting, desiring to fit in with the expectations of others.

Just do what you want, be yourself regardless of what your kids say. Funny thing though… we all grow up and eventually become mom/dad “mini-me’s” without realizing it. Just wait. You’ll see.
Cheers!
USA Gundy

Gabrielle56 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:10:39

Sounds about right! My younger Ds Used to rock up wearing thin threadbare tee thin jeans/joggers and looking like death warmed up. Asking me to up the heating!? Not happening, said I he declin d clothing etc but he never used to be like this as a youngster? Odd. Nowadays younger generation seems to think Lou going about ,heating on top whack, no socks very little clothing and really Inappropriately dressed for the cold?! If layering up and having basic common sense is old fashioned/eccentric, rock on sister!!😅

Gabrielle56 Tue 24-Jan-23 14:13:24

Kartush

my grandson often tells me that I am weird but cool.

About weird.... I have those napkin clips on a cute ribbon that I use both at home and coolly wear if out dining too! They say the classy way I casually pop it on wherever I am is the best!! I don't care, I always but always splodge my eats down my front so I'm not ruining my duds for the sake of fashion!! Often others diners will ask where I got them?!

Katek Tue 24-Jan-23 15:03:33

How on earth do those of you wearing multiple layers move? I have visions of you like Maggie Simpson in her famous snowsuit or trying to wear a school mac over a blazer. The word 'thick' keeps popping up on this thread but you're actually better off with more thin layers than one thick one - heat is trapped between the layers. Climbers tend to wear 3 layers, I think some of you could summit Everest!

Callistemon21 Tue 24-Jan-23 16:10:29

trying to wear a school mac over a blazer

Oh, Katek that brought back memories!
A vest, blouse, tie, pleated gym slip, cardigan, blazer topped by a reefer coat with school scarf and velour hat.
We must have looked like Teletubbies!

Cymres1 Sun 12-Feb-23 20:07:00

Baggs

I think my response to such a son comment would be along the lines of, well you're young and silly.

Couldn't agree with you more. Through millenia we've worn clothes to match the weather and seasons, what is happening now is so ridiculous, expensive, very eco-wasteful and unhealthy. I sleep with the window open all year, with an old fashioned feather eiderdown (Oxfam, £3!) on the duvet. Hot water bottle for my feet and job's a good un.