Gransnet forums

Relationships

I just don’t know what to do.

(113 Posts)
LibbyR Mon 20-Feb-23 11:00:36

My husband is 8 years younger than me. We’ve been together for 25 years. I have grown up children from my first marriage. He made it perfectly clear that he didn’t want children when we met and that suited me as I didn’t want anymore. Due to this fact we have always kept our finances very separate, just having a joint account that we each pay an amount into to cover household expenses. We have a beautiful home which due to us both having full time jobs, we have contributed to equally. We now have no mortgage and our house is my husbands pride and joy as he built it. When the children were at home I paid in more than him to our living expenses but since they left home over 10 years ago we now pay the same but all other finances are separate. His family are very well off whereas I don’t have any family other than my children. I have always had a very stressful job and about 2 years ago I became quite unwell due mainly to work stress, with this as the main factor I looked into taking early retirement (aged 56). This meant losing quite a chunk of my pension however when I tried to discuss it with my husband he just said that I should do whatever I wanted to do, my finances were none of his concern and as long as I could ‘pay my way’ it was my decision. I’ll admit that for the last few years of my working life we grew apart, mainly due to the fact that I was working 50-60 hours every week, I was tired and unwell and made no effort in our relationship. He also didn’t support me when I was stressed and I felt resentful of this, he works in his family business and comes and goes as he pleases, hasn’t really known a day of stress in his life. I’ve put on a terrific amount of weight, sleep badly and feel miserable and unattractive. I’d hoped that removing the work stress would make me feel better however it’s been almost 2 years and our relationship has fallen apart. He has never been one to talk about his feelings and any kind of discussion I try to instigate gets immediately shut down either by him walking away or just refusing to engage.
For many years he has had an interest in vintage cars and travels around locally to meetings, weekend rallies etc. Several years ago we bought a caravan (paid exactly half each) so we could make a bit of a holiday of these meetings however most of the time he makes it clear that he wishes to go alone and I’ve only attended twice in the last couple of years. The last time was in August last year. At the event I became aware of a woman who was all over my husband, I was watching them giggling and chatting for several hours from my vantage point in the caravan. The feeling I had in my stomach was dreadful, I felt so upset as he basically ignored me for the whole day and spent his time with her right under my nose. When it was time to do the parade of cars, she jumped into the car with him and off they went. When he returned I said to him I thought I was going to go on the parade with him and he looked a bit sheepish but said that X was there and wanted to go so he didn’t like to say no! I promptly packed my bags and went home. He sent me one message saying what’s the matter, I replied with a very long message telling him how upset I’d felt watching him laughing and chatting with another woman when he can barely speak to me most of the time and he said he didn’t know what my problem was and they’re just friends. I confided in a friend about this and she said that a mutual friend who also attends these events had commented on how much time my husband and this woman spend together. When he returned after the weekend I tried to talk to him about it and he was very defensive and said that there was nothing going on between them and they were friends who had a common interest (this has always been his hobby but I have tried to get involved). I talked a bit about how I felt unloved and lonely in our marriage and he did little to reassure me apart from to say I had nothing to worry about. I asked if he’d consider some counselling sessions to help us to communicate better and get back on track but he flatly refused to consider it. Since then we have just limped along, living in the same house, sleeping in the same bed but there is no emotional connection between us, in fact most of the time I feel that I’m irritating him. I think if it wasn’t for the fact that he knows he’d have to split our assets with me he’d be quite happy to divorce however when I broached the subject he said it’s not what he wants.
This is my dilemma and I feel very ashamed to admit it but a couple of weeks ago when he was in the shower I had a look at his phone and there were lots of messages between him and this woman. It was all jokey chat, no I love you or kisses but lots of messages going back a couple of weeks. I think he’s probably been deleting the chats every so often in case I see his phone. They talked about the new vintage car that he’s going to buy, how she’ll be able to help him with it when they go to meetings etc. she referred to things that weren’t in the chat thread so I got the impression that he’d deleted previous messages or they’re communicating another way, possible via text message or telephone calls. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach and I don’t know what to do. If I confront him I’ll have to admit to looking at his phone and he will go ballistic and I’ll be the one in the wrong. I looked again last night and all chat with her had been deleted so my suspicion is that he has been in constant contact with her since last year behind my back and I just don’t know how to approach it with him without admitting I’ve been checking his phone. I’m afraid to be on my own but my jealousy is eating me up and I feel stupid and unloved and like I’ve wasted my life. sad

Startingover61 Mon 20-Feb-23 15:33:48

This sounds very similar to the situation I was in some years ago. For some reason, many people don’t realise how fortunate they are and, because they’re selfish and disrespectful, they think it’s perfectly fine to cheat on their long-term spouse. It isn’t. Once my (now ex) husband started straying, he didn’t stop. I divorced him in 2017, when I was 59, and started all over again. It isn’t easy but it is possible. You must put yourself first now, and consider your future. Personally, I would rather be on my own. You don’t have to put up with his behaviour.

holcombemummy60 Mon 20-Feb-23 15:41:47

You need to look after yourself and I agree with others start looking at other possibilities. I am on my 4 th marriage and have had to start from scratch every time but you know what it is better than been abused and this is what is happening to you. A marriage is about sharing and caring and if he cannot do that then there is no point. I bet he is scared of divorce as it will cost him dearly . Personally I’d start squirrelling money away I bet he has espeacilly if he has his own business . Your priority is you. Just a thought could you go and stay with your children for a week or so to see what happens . If he cares he should contact you whilst you’re away . Good luck in what ever you decided

BlueBelle Mon 20-Feb-23 15:49:16

Do you have to admit to the phone looking though ? surely his behaviour when you went away together is enough to talk to him about You need to tell him his behaviour at the last car meet up was totally unacceptable driving off with her for the parade etc should not be accepted by you He’s an arrogant axxx
Leave, however bad it feels to be alone it can’t be worse than living with someone who does not value you at all

Norah Mon 20-Feb-23 16:00:05

It is rare for posters to agree on GN - usually seems a 50-50 to a 30-70 split on any post. We all seemingly agree.

Either Armageddon is nigh or you may want to listen!

VioletSky Mon 20-Feb-23 16:05:44

I think you need to look into what an emotional affair is.

They are extremely damaging to relationships and often feel worse than physical infidelity.

Your feelings are valid.

I would not discuss this directly with him yet if he is not in a place to listen but rather get advice for yourself first on how to manage this

www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/why-bad-looks-good/202203/is-your-partner-having-emotional-affair

welbeck Mon 20-Feb-23 16:16:18

do not confront him.
go see a solicitor about divorce.
do not tell him at this stage.
make a will in favour of your children.
maybe leave a copy of that lying around with solicitor's details.
so that he knows if you were to die he would not benefit.
he finds you boring, irritating, annoying.
he would rather be completely free to live as he pleases.
the only reason he doesn't want to divorce is because he loves the house and is too mean to buy you out.
this all puts you in a very vulnerable position.
you have said that you are not fit, are struggling.
men have killed for far less.
take urgent advice now.
solicitor. womens aid. children.

welbeck Mon 20-Feb-23 16:19:39

and why are you still sleeping in the same room, let alone bed ?
surely such a fine house has a spare bedroom.
in there tonight.
if he says anything, sound vague, distant, you can't sleep.

LibbyR Mon 20-Feb-23 17:24:07

I’ve made an appointment with a solicitor next week and a GP telephone appointment in 3 weeks (which was the soonest they could offer me). Thank you for the input, I’m not sure if I feel better or worse for sharing. I know I certainly feel sad and lonely which isn’t how you should feel if you’re married to someone who loves and respects you. I did move into another bedroom last year but I moved back into our room again a few months later as my husband accused me of not making any effort in our marriage however we have no physical or emotional intimacy and I actually feel more lonely lying next to him than I felt in another room. Financially things are not as straightforward as they could be and I have childminding commitments and many animals to consider, otherwise I’d just pick up and leave for a few weeks. However I feel that I have made some progress today. Thank you.

luluaugust Mon 20-Feb-23 17:45:40

LibbyR, great start, you have made progress. While you are waiting for the Drs appointment how about a bit of self care at the hairdressers and the beautician. I know it sounds trivial with everything going on but you deserve a boost. Good luck

Ali23 Mon 20-Feb-23 17:48:18

I’m so relieved to read that you have started to take steps. Well done you 😊

If you can, I would move back into the spare room. Don’t just sleep in there. Make it your own… a haven of your own. Somewhere where you can read in the night if you are restless, or make a cuppa and drink it in bed, or listen to the radio etc. I say this because living with a man who has called all the shots appears to have taken away your opportunities to look after you. And today that is what you have begun to do.

I’m not sure if you know this, but Relate also provide counselling for people whose marriages are unlikely to carry on. You can go on your own and they can help you to work out your own priorities, whatever the outcome.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Feb-23 17:51:51

👏👏👏 Libby. Carry on and don’t look back.

Lomo123 Mon 20-Feb-23 17:54:25

Good for you, you've made the first step.

Juliet27 Mon 20-Feb-23 18:03:33

I’m not sure if you know this, but Relate also provide counselling for people whose marriages are unlikely to carry on. You can go on your own and they can help you to work out your own priorities, whatever the outcome.

Good advice Ali23

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Feb-23 18:26:59

I didn't know that Ali23 - that sounds like a really good idea.

LibbyR I am so pleased that you have made some appointments for you.

Small steps but each one is good news. You can do this. Small step by small step it's doable.
We are all cheering you on.
Be brave.
You are stronger than you think - after all you have survived this for years! Now you can be strong for yourself.

Thinking of you! flowers

LibbyR Mon 20-Feb-23 18:42:55

I didn’t know that either. Unfortunately we don’t have a relate service locally but I’m going to see if they can do remote/zoom sessions.

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Feb-23 18:59:40

Well done Libbysmile. The first step is always the hardest and as NotSpaghetti has posted We are all cheering you on.

Caleo Mon 20-Feb-23 19:17:42

Does the financial arrangement suit you better than a divorce settlement? Are you emotionally able to regard it as a marriage of convenience for your own benefit?

However you don't tolerate his behaving as though you are a financial partner but not a wife. You are right to be jealous and unless you can cool you feelings towards this man you should separate. Get a good lawyer . Take care of yourself. It's obvious he is not going to take care of your feelings. As Norah said(above) hush and keep your cards close. You don't need to confront him as he has refused couple counselling. Stop trusting him as if he is your soul mate; he is not.

Your first priority is your health. You need money to finance your recovery to your normal good health. It seems he is not going to be a nuisance to you if your stay married, but you do need a secret plan B. You will have to separate or divorce unless you can feel as cool towards him as he feels towards you.
A mutual marriage of convenience may be the best solution. However you would need to stop hoping that he is going to be your attentive lover.

Why on Earth are you still sharing his bed?

BlueBelle Mon 20-Feb-23 19:18:15

These shoes are made for walking ……
Well done keep your appointments and if you can get some individual counselling to build your own self esteem up that would be really helpful either with relate or a counselling charity
You are stronger than you think I can still remember the pure feeling of peace when shutting my own front door and knowing the man (I still adored) couldn’t get in any more couldn’t hurt me physically, mentally and worse than all couldn’t make me feel smaller and less important than a mouse

Caleo Mon 20-Feb-23 19:20:05

PS sorry! I see I should have read all the intervening posts.

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Feb-23 19:24:03

BlueBelleflowers.

AGAA4 Mon 20-Feb-23 19:27:37

Well done Libby. You should be proud of yourself. First step to a happier future.

Gransnet at its best!

GrammyGrammy Mon 20-Feb-23 20:01:45

'childminding commitments and many animals to consider' Well done making the solicitor's appointment.
The animals....it is not too early to begin to make arrangements for them....as hard as it is....are some easy to rehome? Do what you can....gathering this animal family around you is totally understandable given a cold fish of a husband...but reduce the weight of practical sorting them out later by rehoming as many as you can bear to while it can be done at leisure.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Feb-23 20:08:10

I don’t agree with that. Our animals are often our only source of happiness and comfort. Would you so readily advise putting children up for adoption?

GrammyGrammy Mon 20-Feb-23 20:25:10

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t agree with that. Our animals are often our only source of happiness and comfort. Would you so readily advise putting children up for adoption?

There are apparently MANY animals. That is an issue. There will be some that can be easily rehomed. Rescues can help with this. The poster needs to be focussing on her own health and fitness and safety and wellbeing and future, not on hoarding animals. I'm just asking her to let go the ones she can.

LibbyR Mon 20-Feb-23 20:28:50

I have definitely collected an animal family over the years and they are most definitely my comfort source, however as they have left me due to old age I have been more mindful of continuing to ‘collect replacements’. How very insightful of you to point that out as it’s exactly what I’ve done over the years, I just didn’t really connect it. Also as I’m now not working I can’t afford to spend £100s each month at the feed merchant. I will need to be able to afford somewhere of my own with a small amount of land as I can’t be without my animals, however I have a very manageable number now.