Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband and DIL don’t get along so we don’t visit our son or grandchildren

(84 Posts)
Needadvice Fri 21-Apr-23 00:41:15

I need advice on this situation. My son and his wife have been married for 15/years. Our DIY has always been confrontational with both of us. She manufactures crises and becomes hysterical, shouting at us in front of the grandchildren and accusing us of things we haven’t done. When I suggest we discuss things away from the children she says that her children need to know everything. For instance, we had been playing with two of the children out in the yard. When we came in the house, she came raging down from upstairs calling us names saying that we had hit our 3 year old grandson, which we had not. There was no talking to her. In another example, they were visiting our home for Christmas and I was in the kitchen talking to one of the grandchildren when my son came raging into the kitchen asking me what in the name of god I had given to the children to eat! I had no idea what he was talking about! I had given them some noodles (they have no allergies). She had told him something that had scared him. Later, at Christmas dinner, she attacked me and made me cry. More recently, her attacks have focused on my husband, who now wants nothing to do with her. During our latest visit, she twisted something he said into an attack on her weight (she is not overweight), and went around her house, in front of the children wailing dramatically and saying that their grandfather had said she was fat. When the youngest went to sit with her grandfather, she sent the oldest grandchild to take the youngest away. My husband was so hurt by that. We haven’t visited them now for two years. Our son calls regularly, but our DIY has no contact with us. I am upset by this and trying to find a solution. The oldest grandchild is 15, the middle child is 13, and the youngest is 7. Should I begin having direct contact with the children? Thank you for any suggestions. We do not live nearby.

icanhandthemback Sun 23-Apr-23 13:08:19

My daughter has a personality disorder which sometimes makes her difficult to deal with and will sometimes say inappropriate things in front of young ears. She can't seem to help herself and it is distressing so I understand your angst. My husband found it very difficult to deal with and although he kept his mouth tightly shut, I know my daughter was not unaware of his disapproval mainly because she would hurt my feelings.
I have found it much easier to keep them apart so that I have a relationship with my daughter and her children which I can manage on the terms that work. I have done a lot of reading and realise that her anxiety about things that most of us don't even think about, make her explosive and actually, she hates herself afterwards. Not dismissing her fears but being understanding make it much easier even though inside I am sometimes screaming, "Really?" Sometimes walking away but still being friendly makes the difference too. Trying to resolve something when somebody is on high alert is almost bound to fail. Trying to get somebody to trust your good intentions when they distrust the world doesn't make an easy relationship but escalating it by arguing the toss is also doomed to fail.

Delila Sun 23-Apr-23 18:57:46

Very good comment icanhandthemback.

icanhandthemback Sun 23-Apr-23 20:48:34

Thank you Delila.

Needadvice Mon 24-Apr-23 19:08:33

Delila, Thank you for your post. Some of the situation you describe, particularly involving the children inappropriately and the impossibility of trying to talk something out when the other person is mistrustful, made sense. I admire your approach. Certainly arguing doesn’t help.

Needadvice Mon 24-Apr-23 19:25:45

SporeRB Thank you for your post. When his father assumed full time care for his son, his biological mother agreed and his son also asked to live with his father. The situation had become dangerous for his son, who had been left with his brother without his mothers care. She was heavily involved with heavy use of cocaine and alcohol. We saw this directly ourselves. After he came to live with us, she showed no interest in him. Now she is back in his life part time, and hopefully sober. I am glad, especially for my sons children, who have a Nana. We say nothing bad about her to the GC, our son or DIL. If she has influenced our DIL against us, at least I know what we did was right, and we know our son loves us.

Needadvice Mon 24-Apr-23 19:34:47

I think several people asked why our son does not bring the GCs around. I’m sure he would if circumstances permitted. Our family is split geographically, with one son in the middle of the country and one on the East Coast.

Hithere Tue 25-Apr-23 14:19:32

OP
Why do those people care about that?

It is none of their business

Delila Tue 25-Apr-23 15:59:43

Needadvice, the comment you thought was from me actually came from icanhandthemback smile