Gransnet forums

Relationships

Parallel to “Mean daughter in law”

(70 Posts)
GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 13:04:23

Hello,
I thought it best to split this discussion off from my initial post titled “Mean Daughter in law although they go hand in hand.

What has happened to respect? I was raised by my parents to respect my elders no matter who they were. You may not like them but you would show respect.

I am 60 years old and from what I have experienced and from what I know from other families the generation behind me just absolutely don’t care.

I would have never spoken to one of my in laws or anyone else the way I have been spoken to.

Am I alone in my observation regarding the lack of respect or do you guys see this as well ?

maryeliza54 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:23:47

I honestly don’t think anyone deserves respect just because of their age - why on Earth do they?

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 15:00:06

I have the best of relationships with my children their spouse and DGC. We all speak to and treat each other with courtesy and respect. Most of DGC's friends come from similar families.

Your experience has been unfortunate GrandmaFaye, but it is not universal.

Telly Wed 14-Nov-18 15:13:25

Have to agree with the other responses, no one in our family is disrespectful, not matter what their age. I guess it depends on the circumstances, rather than age.

SpanielNanny Wed 14-Nov-18 15:29:45

I must admit to not being a big fan of the ‘respect your elders’ mindset. Every person deserves to be treated with the same level of respect regardless their age.

Your situation is very sad, and whilst you certainly aren’t alone, I don’t believe that it is true of the majority of families. At least not the ones that I know.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Nov-18 15:43:00

All of my DDs and their spouses are respectful to everyone, and particularly to their parents and grandparents. They are quick to come down on anyone who talks down to the older generation. I treasure them all, and they know this.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Nov-18 15:45:31

We all respect each other I have no one even in my wider circle of friends that has these kind of problems and no I don’t see our children s generation as being any more disrespectful than any other generation
I m sorry you have had this experience but it isn’t necessary common to all

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 15:49:47

Blimey Monica, maybe you don't intend it, but you sound a bit smug!

Grandma Faye, what's the problem or problems?
Is it how the person speaks or their actions?
60 isn't that old really. We may not like it, but we have to move along.

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 16:15:00

Thank you got your responses .

crazyH Wed 14-Nov-18 16:16:28

There are a lot of perfect families here.
Ofcourse GrandmaFaye, some of the youngsters in my family are disrespectful, one of my d.i.l is one of them. My older son is sometimes very patronising when he talks to me. I think it's just the youth of today. They like to speak their mind. We were brought up in the generation of 'children should be seen and not heard'.....not anymore.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 16:18:17

Isn't there a happy medium?

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 16:20:39

CrazyH, I think you are right !
Thank you

NanaandGrampy Wed 14-Nov-18 16:46:01

Is it respect or love?

My daughters wouldn't be disrespectful not because we're a perfect family but because they love me.

We communicate - no one rules anyone else.

I'm not sure I would say being patronising is being disrespectful either - rude - yes.

I think you're right oldbatty where did the happy medium go?

sodapop Wed 14-Nov-18 17:04:24

The happy medium has gone holiday with her Ouija board N&G

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 17:47:46

I do not think it is a question of perfect families, it is just a question of treating family members in the same way you would treat anyone else in your life; work colleagues, shop assistants, friends.

We also do not watch soaps. If I page through one on the way to something else, everybody always seems to being shouting at other people, especially family members.

Newmom101 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:01:28

I work with children, if one is rude to me I always tell them that I show them respect, I expect respect back, even if they don't like me. I also expect them to treat each other with respect. I never say the 'I'm a teacher so you should show me respect' line because I don't think that they should be taught that they MUST respect people who are older or in authority. Obviously when first meeting someone they should, but if that person doesn't show them respect then why should they? Respect should be mutual.

I don't like the 'respect your elders' thing. I know quite a few people born in the 50s/60s who were either physically or sexually abused but were too scared to speak out because they had to 'respect their elders' and were afraid they wouldn't be believed as they were just a child.

I also know quite a few older people who are downright rude towards younger (especially teenage) people are expect respect back. My own nan in particular thinks she can say/do as she likes and we should just accept it, including telling me to quit uni and work in a shop as that's all I'd be good for. When she's challenged on it she says 'i've earned the right to be able to say what she likes at my age' and is completely serious. She bullies my poor cousin who's too scared to stand up to her as my nans so nasty to her.

Some people just don't deserve others respect, no matter their age.

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 19:10:21

I don’t disrespect anyone and I expect the same treatment

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:11:55

newmom101 I totally agree with you. Respect/courtesy/Good manners have nothing to do with age. I get very exasperated by older people who moan about 'the young of today" and then push in front of a bus queue.

notanan2 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:19:01

Everyone starts off with my respect. Whether they retain it or lose it is up to them.

notanan2 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:22:58

I do find as a generalisation that the people who speak a lot of "respect" and/or not getting the respect they feel is due to them are also the kinds of people who aren't respectful to others and behave in ways that make people lose respect for them.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Nov-18 19:25:54

I just think it is important to treat people as individuals rather than painting a whole generation with the same brush. There are good and bad in every generation.

Elegran Wed 14-Nov-18 19:29:40

You don't get respect from a younger generation by demanding it, you get it by being a person who can be respected.

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 20:36:37

Elegran that is true in some cases but not all of them

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 20:37:35

oldbatty, no not smug, just stating as it is in our family and pointing out that there are plenty more families like this, so nothing remarkable about it and most responders to this thread are saying much the same thing.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 20:50:05

You don't get respect from a younger generation by demanding it, you get it by being a person who can be respected.

And also by respecting them and their views