Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

The apostle Philip

(42 Posts)
veryordinaryjangly Wed 27-Jul-11 14:21:38

Just heard on the radio that they have found the tomb of Philip, one of Jesus' apostles.

How amazing is that!

Those people actually lived and walked on this earth.

Yeah I know! but it is amazing.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 20:17:32

Just wait while I go and look up hagiology. I can guess but it's not part of my daily vocabulary....

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 20:19:07

Thought so. Saints and stuff. I guess it's jings you're waiting for, though I was fed stories of the martyrs as a child. Thankfully, I've forgotten them.

feetlebaum Fri 23-Mar-12 16:28:14

"Charming people on Gransnet, some of 'em.

Nice way with words." Referring to my comment on this thread?

Do you have a better definition of theology? Most '-ologys' are scientific, that is, based on evidence and repeatable testing. Theology is based on ... what? Desperate attempts to square the details in the camp-fire yarns of ancient herdsmen with the evidence that shows them to be baseless.

The word that keeps coming to mind, is 'fraud'.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 16:38:06

"the study of the non-existent."

Very sensitive.

feetlebaum Fri 23-Mar-12 16:56:23

So instead of attacking the points raised, you choose to insult those who raise them? That's not very constructive, in fact it's a sure way to throw a debate.

I ask again (not that you are under any compulsion to answer!) do you have a better definition, sensitive or otherwise? What benefit has theology ever conferred upon the human race? If there were no theologians our lives would be no worse... if ther were no scientists, many of us would be dead, and we'd have no computers to carry on our debate with.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 16:59:10

I was criticising your post feetlebaum.

I am sure you, yourself are a very nice lady/man--/whatever--.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 17:00:21

whoops! should have been whatever !!!

jeni Fri 23-Mar-12 17:11:00

Nobody has answered my querysad where did they find the tomb of st Philip? I know they found the tomb of Philip of Macedonia, father of Alexander the great , but not st Philip!

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 17:19:28

here

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 23-Mar-12 17:21:34

The newspapers, back in July when I posted this, sounded much more definite about it!

There's a surprise. hmm

It's still fascinating. smile

jeni Fri 23-Mar-12 18:01:37

Thanks jing that was fascinating as we're some of the links, particularly the one about the lost army of Cambyses.

em Fri 23-Mar-12 20:26:52

This is a classic example of someone expressing her interest/enthusiasm for a specific topic and choosing to share that interest with like-minded people. If anyone knows from the outset that they have no interest at all in the subject, then why bother posting? It's perfectly ok to leave that particular thread to those who are actively interested.

Elegran Fri 23-Mar-12 21:39:15

To return to the original post - yes it is interesting to hear that the tomb has been found of someone who was mentioned in writings a couple of thousands of years ago. Matching up what could be myth with a real person who lived and talked all that time ago is not "fraud" though it may be proved mistaken. I don't think anyone was claiming it was 100% proved and scientifically verified.

And yes, theology is fascinating. Whether you believe in the supernatural aspects or not, the process of a code of conduct developing in tribes which had previously lived an almost animal existence is a psychological evolution.

Don't turn an innocent observation into a fight about religion.

em Fri 23-Mar-12 22:04:52

Quite!

glammanana Fri 23-Mar-12 22:31:39

elegran very nicely posted

jeni Fri 23-Mar-12 22:45:23

Agree! I am going to Israel in sept with another GN person. I am interested onthe archaeology as well as the religious sites! If not more so
I really wanted to be an archeologist, but decicided at age 11 it would not pay!
I still have a very keen interest in it though!