Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

'Curing' homosexuality!

(27 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 15-Apr-12 10:33:44

I don't often shout at my radio, but this morning I was incandescent with rage. I always listen to 'Sunday' on Radio 4 and today they had two people on who were involved with that insulting advert on London buses which suggested homosexuality could be cured. A gay man who was perfectly happy with his sexuality was constantly interrupted and the woman told him his lifestyle was 'an abomination', because somebody said so 3000 years ago. He remained completely courteous and did not bother to point out all the other things in the Bible which nobody now accepts.
I was angry on his behalf, and on behalf of all gay men and women.
Well done to Boris Johnson for banning the advert which is obviousy 'likely to cause offence'.

Jacey Sun 15-Apr-12 10:45:38

Greatnan have you looked at the thread "I'm not sure what I think about this ..." in the Chat Forum? it is a live thread on this subject.

Greatnan Sun 15-Apr-12 10:53:46

Thanks, Jacey - I try to keep up with all threads, but I get a bit forgetful at times. This particular item made me so angry I just had to get it out of my system.

Maniac Sun 15-Apr-12 11:50:21

I saw this programme and share your anger.
I'm not a Boris fan but applaud his action in banning the advert.

granjura Sun 15-Apr-12 12:35:22

So Lord Carey is complaining very loudly that Christians are no longer 'allowed' to express their views. I do try and respect all religions, even though I was 'cured' from religion myself a long time ago - but surely expressing homophobic views is just not acceptable, wherever it comes from.

Lika Maniac, not a Boris fan - but also applaud his action.

bagitha Sun 15-Apr-12 12:59:41

Is it time to talk about aggressive christianity yet?

jeni Sun 15-Apr-12 13:13:22

I hope I am a Christian. But I yhought this was beyond the pale!
I was so angry at the discourtesy shown!
My son is bisexual, he has left the church because of its attitude and now is an active paganconfused I suppose that means he feels that he has to believe in something and Christianity, the religion of love, has thrown him out.
I just hope I don't lose my faith. If I did I don't know what I'd do.
Sorry about this but this article really upset and angered me!

SOOP Sun 15-Apr-12 13:21:29

Was it not the Church who decreed, amongst a catalogue of other so-called charitable undertakings, that we should love our neighbour as ourself? confused

feetlebaum Mon 16-Apr-12 12:09:39

No - that was hundreds of years before 'the church'! I know the Christians like to claim it as theirs, but really the only original thing they have is the notion of 'original sin', which is a disgrace.

SOOP Mon 16-Apr-12 12:19:25

feetlebaum...and the nuns at the convent to which I won a scholarship, did their utmost to persuade me that I was the original sinner...angry

jeni Mon 16-Apr-12 12:25:22

How strange. The nuns at my school were lovely!

Greatnan Mon 16-Apr-12 12:38:15

I met a variety of nuns during my school days - some were lovely and kind, but one in particular was a sadist, who delighted in strapping seven year old girls on their hands for being a few minutes late. She was also the worst kind of snob, obsequious to the better-off parents, and contemptuous of the others (which included my mother).
My siblings went to a catholic orphanage as day pupils during the war, and the children, many of whom were illegitimate, had a most miserable life. I think they were being punished for the 'sins' of their mothers.
They wore no shoes, even in Winter. The day pupils, who had parents to defend them, were treated completely differently.
The orphanage, Holy Mount, in Tottington, near Bury, was a good half hour's walk across fields full of cows, which terrified my sister There was a C of E junior school next door to us, but my mother was too afraid of the priest to send us there.
Even if I had not simply stopped believing in a supernatural being, I think some of the priests and nuns I met would have made me leave the catholic church - and this was before we knew anything about sexual abuse.

sdolly Wed 18-Apr-12 10:39:17

I too was appalled by the proposed ad and am so glad it has been pulled. Just hope the group involved gets no where with it's attempt to take it to court. As a Quaker I find the religious arguments quite bewildering. Quakers have been campaigning for same sex marriage for many years. Here is a quote from our website: "At their Yearly Meeting in York in 2009, Quakers in Britain sought a change in the law so that same sex marriages can be prepared, celebrated, witnessed, reported to the state, and recognised as legally valid, without further process, in the same way as opposite sex marriages are celebrated in Quaker meetings. Quakers consider that they should be able to follow the insights of their membership in celebrating life-long committed relationships between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, in exactly the same way as they currently recognise the marriage of opposite sex couples."

Greatnan Wed 18-Apr-12 14:31:28

sdolly - if I were going to be a Christian, I would probably be a Quaker. I have been reading about it on various websites and it sounds such a warm, inclusive religion.

granjura Wed 18-Apr-12 20:00:21

Agree about Quakers, those I've known were incredibly intelligent and generous people (1 neighbour being one of the Cadburys).

Here is recent news of how the Catholic Church attempted to 'cure' gays:

"This weekend an inquiry was published on how the Dutch Catholic church castrated young men who announced they were gay, this too "cure" them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17453849"

jeni Wed 18-Apr-12 20:30:40

I have only known one Quaker, although we have meeting house in portishead where I live!
She was at medical school with me and was the most peaceful, relaxed person I knew! She was also very intelligent!

absentgrana Wed 18-Apr-12 20:44:17

It's difficult to understand why men of the cloth and their followers focus so intensely on matters sexual when the world is full of war, hunger, disease, injustice, oppression and other terrible afflictions. Maybe secularists should focus on a cure for the myopia of organised religion.

Anagram Wed 18-Apr-12 20:47:41

absentgran! Well said! grin

Greatnan Wed 18-Apr-12 22:49:39

Yes, very well said!

SOOP Sat 21-Apr-12 13:12:02

absent Ditto! smile

fieldwake Wed 16-May-12 14:14:13

All the homosexuals I have met have been kind and often 'feminine' isn't it the macho testosterone fuelled males we should be worried about?

Ariadne Wed 16-May-12 19:37:22

Oh yes, fieldwake I do think so!

Notsogrand Thu 17-May-12 12:22:42

Was sent this on FaceBook....

If you don't like gay marriage, blame the straight people. They're the ones that keep having gay babies

Perfect. smile

feetlebaum Mon 21-May-12 20:19:03

"One of the most influential figures in modern psychiatry has apologised to America’s gays for a scientific study which supported attempts to “cure” people of their homosexuality.

The survey, published in 2001, looked at “reparative therapy” and was hailed by religious and social conservatives in America as proof that gay people could successfully become straight if they were motivated to do so.

But Dr Robert Spitzer has now apologised in the same academic journal that published his original study, calling it “fatally flawed”. “I believe I owe the gay community an apology,” his letter said. “I also apologise to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works.”

Reparative therapy is popular among Christian conservative groups, which run clinics and therapy sessions at which people try to become heterosexual through counselling."

How much misery can one man cause...?

nanaej Mon 21-May-12 21:16:23

I went to a Quaker boarding school for a while when parents were overseas. Very humane place!
I lost any faith I had at 18 because of one old vicar! He told my school friend, who was a great actor, that she should not go to drama school as that way of life was not Christian and told me to give up my boyfriend as he was not a church goer. I had to choose church or boyfriend.. I've stuck with him!