Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Should the catholic church be asking schoolchildren to sign this petition?

(157 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 29-Apr-12 07:48:56

The leader of the catholic church in England and Wales has written to all catholic schools asking them to get the pupils, some as young as 11, to sign a petition against gay marriage.
Is this appropriate - some head teachers feel it is not.

JessM Sat 12-May-12 08:37:50

Maybe we should have an irony emoticon. I know just what it would look like. A little iron. How ironically apt for this site would that be Bags ?

littlemo Sat 12-May-12 11:36:41

Hicaz, I don't think that over 16s (petition is only open to over 16s) would appreciate being called children or the implication that they are not aware of both sides of the debate. Young Catholics are not sheltered from the rest of the world and even in school, especially at age 16 or over, are encouraged to debate the pros and cons of many issues.

Greatnan Sat 12-May-12 11:57:24

littlemo - it has been accepted that children under 16 could not sign the petition but many of us feel that the letter should not have been read out to pupils at all.

soop Sat 12-May-12 12:04:38

Bags With you all the way.

littlemo Sat 12-May-12 12:41:57

Yes, but refering to 'children' could make less well informed people think that children were being asked to make uniformed decisions before signing the petition. As this thread is meant to be about schoolchildren signing the petition, I just wanted to make this clear.

Greatnan Sat 12-May-12 23:01:57

Yes, O.K. littlemo. I should have been more careful in my wording of the original post.