Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Who is God?

(462 Posts)
gramps Tue 28-Aug-12 16:49:17

Dear friends,
This is the article which I mentioned on the Spiritual page yesterday.
Please keep an open mind while reading it, and remember that we should always respect another persons beliefs, even if you don't agree with them!

We all have our own views on such a sensitive subject as "Religion"!

Who is God?

Well folks, this is my idea on God!
I hope it does not offend anyone, but it may give something to think on!
I think that God, as we are taught, is a Spirit, We have been led to believe in God as a person, whom we take after ; - This makes it easier to explain, as people in general cannot accept a more ethereal being that is not bound by time or space,.
God is the Spirit of life; it runs through all living things. Therefore we are part of God and the God Spirit is part of us!
(I trust that this does not sound like blasphemy to anybody. These are my own thoughts expressed here!)
Life is sacred, and we all have free will. We have a moral code, laid down by wise leaders over many thousands of years.
Ideally, we use our conscience to behave and live by that moral code.
I believe in a power, much stronger than we can imagine, whose strength we can call upon to strengthen and help us when we ask. This is always available to all, no matter whether you have a faith or not, Of course, as with all things, if you have faith, you are a more positive person which uses your stronger inner strength!
I call that powerful Spirit GOD!
Many religions recognise God in different ways, and I think that each of us has their own pathway to tread. We should not force our own thoughts upon other people.
I am proud to be a Christian, but I respect other points of view!
Jesus is widely recognised as a great Teacher in other religions and respected as such.
As for natural disasters, I have no answer. For crimes of war, brutality, injustice, etc. I bring in the argument of "Free Will" again!
, This does not address all of the points raised, i.e., sickness, but this again is a natural phenomena caused by environmental and other conditions, some of which are man made! - Free will again!
Nature has a way of protecting itself, which is not always in our best interests!!
Sorry if I've gone on a bit with my ramblings. It may provoke a bigger discussion!

Gramps
Feb 2010

granjura Tue 28-Aug-12 20:12:26

Beautifully said - you've put words to my feelings, thanks smile

annodomini Tue 28-Aug-12 20:41:07

I couldn't put it better, Mishap. Thank you. smile

Frankel Tue 28-Aug-12 21:39:37

I think we all have a God, a spiritual part of our brain, somewhere we go for strength in times of trouble. It is part of us and it dies with us. I struggle to accept religions based on belief in one God, except as social and political organisations.

gramps Tue 28-Aug-12 22:05:52

I thank you all for your thoughts and valid comments, so ably expounded.

!Dear "Vampy" - If I may call you that?,
I was not trying to say that you are sitting back "wallowing". Far from it - I sometimes have a poor manner of expressing my thoughts . But it does get people thinking and exchanging ideas!

I agree with all, that much cruelty, wars and misunderstanding, have been perpetrated in the name of Religion"

I believe in the "God life force" which is within every thing.

What is it that leaves the body at death, making the difference between a living body and a dead carcase? The breath of the "God Spirit"?

vampirequeen Tue 28-Aug-12 22:37:50

Gramps....call me Vamps or V or Vampirequeen but please not Vampy...it really doesn't describe my character. Makes me sound far too nice.

johanna Tue 28-Aug-12 22:45:27

So, Gramps
I have just read your posts.

Could you please tell me how much you have actually implemented in your life what you have said in your posts?

I would really like to know. Have you ever helped anybody in desperate situations? I mean helping for instance financially? Not knowing if you would ever, EVER, see your aid reimbursed?
Do let us know.

NannaAnna Tue 28-Aug-12 22:57:14

We are physical manifestations of Eternal Consciousness.

JO4 Tue 28-Aug-12 22:58:25

Well fuck flip me!

johanna Tue 28-Aug-12 23:01:33

Thanks J,
going to bed laughing ......

Nanadogsbody Tue 28-Aug-12 23:10:58

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the end of it too? hmm shock smile

gramps Tue 28-Aug-12 23:15:28

Hi Joanna,
Have you children, or young people in financial trouble?

I have done a lot of voluntary work over the years.

Over the last five years I've helped young children in a local school with their reading.

For almost fifteen years I have visited "sick" eople, either at a group meeting, or at their home. I only accepted my travel expenses, depending on circumstances.

I'm no Saint, just an ordinary bloke,who likes to help where I can.

Does that answer your quite natrual curiosity?

Thanks for your interest in the subject in question! smile

gramps Tue 28-Aug-12 23:26:16

I'm sorry about upsetting you, namewise!
I'll call you Vamps ,if ok with you?

( Do you think someone may muddle the "V" and "G" , there's quite a large "amp"erage between us! smile

Butternut Wed 29-Aug-12 06:48:17

Mishap Wonderfully expressed.

Greatnan Wed 29-Aug-12 07:14:18

I hope we are all agreed that there is no monopoly of goodness, kindness and morality by believers. I don't think Gramps implied that there was.

kittylester Wed 29-Aug-12 07:41:12

This is probably a predictable question from me, but where was anyone's god when my son was struck down by a stroke at the age of 35? Or when dreadful things happen to other people's loved ones?

Mishap Wed 29-Aug-12 08:59:03

Thank you for kind comments.

Gramps - I do not believe that anything leaves the body when we die. The atoms all remain, but the system that collates those atoms into a human being fails. What we see as the "self" (that ceases when we die) is I believe part of the organism that is a human being.

Working for a brain injury service convinced me that the idea of "self" is entirely brain-based. I saw so many people whose self/personality was totally changed by damage to a particular part of the brain. And my own DD underwent a total personality change when she suffered a severe ante-natal depression - on this occasion her self/personality was changed chemically by the pregnancy hormones, and she reverted to her normal self when this ended.

absentgrana Wed 29-Aug-12 09:03:31

kittylester There are some Christians who believe that suffering is a blessing from god as it enables a human to share some of Christ's suffering. I wouldn't mind betting that they have never been in pain themselves.

JO4 Wed 29-Aug-12 09:28:44

See, Nanadogsbody, that's the kind of comment that gets atheists a bad name.

I know that you and others on GN can see no reason to respect other people's beliefs, but couldn't you just manage a bit of compassion for their feelings?

JO4 Wed 29-Aug-12 09:30:59

(I don't mean my feelings btw. I'm quite capable of telling you to stuff off. Not that I would of course smile)

Bags Wed 29-Aug-12 10:05:28

That would be patronising, jings. Besides, they are just indulging in emotional blackmail (possibly without realising it) – 'you can't say that because my feelings might be hurt'. It's called suppression of free speech.

Bags Wed 29-Aug-12 10:08:10

And no, I don't think people should be free to say absolutely anything – that's not what freedom of speech means – but ridiculing belief in fairies or angels is not offensive. It's just ridicule. Robust beliefs are immune to ridicule so it shouldn't actually matter what other people think, or say they think.

Greatnan Wed 29-Aug-12 10:30:50

Perhaps, jingle, you could leave people who are offended to speak for themselves?

AlisonMA Wed 29-Aug-12 10:50:47

absent I think that is unfair. I know Christians who have suffered dreadfully and as a result their faith has grown stronger. I will give you a simple illustration, not of suffering but of faith. I know a Christian who gave birth to a Down's syndrome child and as a result looked into abortion in detail. She concluded that she was against it and started showing everyone she knew a film called The Silent Scream. She went on to have another downs child and when I saw them recently they were in their early 20s and both lovely people, the girl being a born performed and very musical. She saw them as a blessing as did her older 'normal' daughter.

Many years ago I read about an atheist who was in a Thai prison accused of drugs smuggling. Apparently it was dreadful place, dirty and overcrowded. After some years she 'found God' and eventually was released. She had certainly suffered.

I know that some of you will find negative comments about these examples and I have only put them here to show that Christians suffer just as much as anyone else. Perhaps it is because they suffer in silence tha some don't realise it. Also they often help people out but tend not to go round saying how good they are. It is noticable that some GNs do a lot of talking about how brilliant/good/clever they are but this is not something that Christans tend to do. I note that Gramps only said he had helped when challenged about it.

AlisonMA Wed 29-Aug-12 10:51:22

Going to the gym to get away from the flack!

Bags Wed 29-Aug-12 11:05:49

The person in the Thai jail: was she released because she found god? "she 'found' god and ... was released". Or is it that she found god in jail (so to speak!), served out her sentence, and was then released and continued to have religious faith, after not having had it before?

Just teasing. I'm sure you see the problem smile

Alison, I think your examples could be used of atheists and agnostics as well. I think you are being unfair to generalise about religious people not boasting about their good works and atheists being the opposite. How would one know if religion/faith is never mentioned? It usually isn't in my experience. Most people avoid the subject like the plague.

Also, why assume that it is only religious people who are totally accepting of Downs syndrome children? It may well be mainly religious people who oppose the use of abortion for any reason, but Downs syndrome is not the only reason people want abortions.