Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Would you vow to submit to your husband?

(74 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 30-Sep-12 08:40:33

Sydney Anglican church is asking brides to include the word 'submit' in their wedding vows. If I had submitted to my ex, we would have been bankrupt, uninsured, and probably dead from his dangerous driving.

FlicketyB Mon 12-Nov-12 19:37:55

It actually hs rather nasty undertones of sexual submission.

granjura Mon 12-Nov-12 14:11:42

Simple - never. Been married to the same great man for 41 years - and right from the start, it was a joining of equal, but different minds, hearts, brains and spirits (and body too smile)

JessM Mon 12-Nov-12 12:45:29

I like you idea of a matriarchy absent and would save a lot of the energy expended on the domestication of men... ;)

absentgrana Mon 12-Nov-12 10:05:12

Lucky old you Ella46. Fond though I am of Mr absent, there are times when I wish he were somewhere else for a while.

Ella46 Mon 12-Nov-12 09:59:55

absent I already live in that sort of group. I call it "my family" grin

gracesmum Mon 12-Nov-12 09:50:48

It wouls solve the problem of bad hair days.
But doesn't that bring us back to head covering?grin

absentgrana Mon 12-Nov-12 09:49:07

Greatnan Well not unlike a Beginage but with less emphasis on prayer. They also employed men for heavy work when necessary. I have exactly the right sort of face shape for a wimple but a uniform wouldn't be compulsory. grin

Greatnan Mon 12-Nov-12 09:43:34

Absent.... something like a convent - but of course they don't get the visits from the men!
There are so many different ways of organising societies around the world, it always amuses me when the Abrahamic religions claim that they have defined the only possible model which cannot be altered.

gracesmum Mon 12-Nov-12 09:38:32

DH is the Head of the family, I am the Neck. We all know which body part turns the other. QED grin

absentgrana Mon 12-Nov-12 09:36:54

I sometimes think that nature's way would be for women to live in loosely associated groups with shared responsibility for the young. Men would make guest appearances at the invitation of the alpha females – rather like the wild horses of the Camargue. Or maybe the alpha females' daughters (alpha- females?) because, like elephants, we live long lives.

JessM Mon 12-Nov-12 07:19:07

Obey??!! What an outrageous notion. They'll be expecting women to take their husband's surnames next. The very idea!!

Ariadne Mon 12-Nov-12 06:57:04

petallusgrin

york46 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:22:17

I too refused to say "obey" in wedding vows back in 1979 - didn't want to give him false hope!!!!

Notsogrand Fri 05-Oct-12 22:32:43

I promised to obey in 1965. Never did though. I always did exactly what I wanted to do, but quietly. smile

jeni Fri 05-Oct-12 21:38:59

grin

petallus Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:36

I've sometimes thought about polygyny and polyandry. Both would have their advantages.

For polygyny I would have to really like my co-wife and for polyandry, definitely two houses.

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 18:42:11

I think the reason I have remained single for over thirty years is because I always fancied the unreliable types but was too sensible to commit myself to them. I have had such lovely men friends -kind, decent, generous, intelligent - but they didn't light my fire
My daughter has cracked it - her husband is lovely and she still fancies him after 17 years.

jeni Fri 05-Oct-12 17:36:52

Back to polyandry!
Simples!

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 17:19:15

I remember reading about some research which suggested women wanted an exciting, spontaneous but unreliable type to father their children, but a steady, caring man who would stay around to bring them up. Hmm....

jeni Fri 05-Oct-12 17:16:44

I think they have it in Tibet. More men to chop the wood?
Besides you know the rivalry that can exist between men. Think how that could be manipulated. (No pun intended)

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 17:02:51

jeni - why would any woman want two men mithering her - one was more than enough for me.
Boomer -not all women are submissive in the bedroom and not all men want them to be! I could tell some tales of the ex-public schoolboys I have known! grin

BoomerBabe Fri 05-Oct-12 16:34:45

I do so absolutely agree with you all.
With my ex we actually did end up bankrupt and uninsured, although his driving was ok Greatnan.
Dare I say it, can even the feistiest of us become a little submissive between the sheets?! Not tying to lower the tone or anything blush.

jeni Fri 05-Oct-12 10:13:14

Do you think we should start a campaign for polyandry on the grounds that the prophetess Jeni commanded it?

Lilygran Fri 05-Oct-12 09:54:18

That's better!

MiceElf Fri 05-Oct-12 08:39:11

VQ that is nearly correct. The actual wording is 'over forty and of mature understanding'. The priest who told us that said that is was to ensure that the housekeeper kept the houseful of priests, including the immature curates, in good order!