Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Hypocrite?

(118 Posts)
absentgrana Mon 01-Oct-12 09:22:52

We recently attended a family party. Our host had informed us that he didn't want presents (it was a big 0), but that there would be a charity collection. The charity turned out to be a Christian one, which would not have been an issue for me, even though I an an atheist, if it had just been Christian Aid or some other general charity. The sole function and raison d'être of the chosen charity, however, is something of which I profoundly disapprove.

My dilemma, albeit a minor one, was should I ignore my own strongly held beliefs and give the "present" that my host had chosen or stick to my convictions and not give anything at all? He has no idea who gave or how much so there was no question of looking mean if I didn't donate.

What would you have done?

Bags Tue 02-Oct-12 16:51:16

Pigs eat people too. Have you heard about that farmer in Oregon?

jeni Tue 02-Oct-12 16:56:03

bagsim very hurt.
I shall go and sulk in a corner with my Turkish delight and crochet!

Greatnan Tue 02-Oct-12 16:57:46

We...eeelll - O.K. jeni, I will make an exception for you - certainly you are a domestic goddess, whatever anybody else says.grin Ignore that nasty bags, she is just jealous.

jeni Tue 02-Oct-12 16:57:46

moonmoonmoongrin
flowerswinecupcake to GNHQ AND TECH

Bags Tue 02-Oct-12 16:58:03

How's the GD cardi coming on, jeni? I thought you'd started a Bagsism topic!!

AND HAVE YOU SEEN THE CRESCENT MOON?!!!!!?

moon

Bags Tue 02-Oct-12 16:58:57

grin

Yeah. I'm more like a domestic pig.

jeni Tue 02-Oct-12 16:59:21

Look above--- the thread not the sky!moon

JO4 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:00:10

Well, they snook that in! hmm

It's grey.

JO4 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:00:42

moons aren't grey

jeni Tue 02-Oct-12 17:00:44

bags at the moment I'm trying to remember all my crochet stitchesconfused

JO4 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:00:56

It's lovely. smile

jeni Tue 02-Oct-12 17:02:32

What colour do you think they are jing? Blue?
I've seen a bright orange one once. It seemed weird!

absentgrana Tue 02-Oct-12 17:17:11

Going back to my original post – although I am pleased that you have finally got the crescent moon that you craved jeni – Mr absent is completely bemused by my concerns about this birthday charity donation/gift. It has truly been a dilemma for me which is why I posted in the first place.

I do hope that my lovely sister-in-law (or even, unlikely that it is, the brother-in-law at the centre of the issue) is not a member of Gransnet. blush

GrandmaMiney Fri 12-Oct-12 09:18:20

Really interesting discussion, I found everyone's thoughts interesting. Re-reading absentgrana's original post, I think Greatnan's solution is the wisest. flowers

But I quite admire the host for two reasons. First he is making it clear he does not want guests to waste money on presents (presents for '0' birthdays tend to be either expensive or silly) and second, he had the guts to name a charity he believes in, maybe knowing it would not be universally popular. To his credit, he did not know if or who donated, or how much. Thus leaving his guests free to follow their own consciences.wine

However the principle absentgrana identifies goes deep. How far do we let our own beliefs influence our lives and actions?

I am nominally an Anglican Christian, and I do believe in a loving, creator God, but I have a problem with institutionalised religion and its politics (with both big and small 'P's) and pettiness, which makes me a non-churchgoer. Pity, because I love the architecture and music in great cathedrals.

Over the years I can no longer believe that there is only one way of understanding the great issues of Life (why are we here? what are we here for? do we have a purpose? etc etc)--and Death (is it The End? etc etc). I am interested in the beliefs of many different cultures, as well as the monotheistic religions, Buddhism and the Tao. This is why I took a degree in Medical Anthropology in my 50s--to help me explore different peoples' ideas about 'health', life and death. And I'm still exploring what I believe!

But I would draw the line at donating to a charity whose aims I had thought about, but was opposed to. And I have problems with proselytising too.

Maybe I should change my username to 'confused.oap' smile

GrandmaMiney Fri 12-Oct-12 09:30:40

Just read the latest posts (which I hadn't, when I posted the above in good faith).
I feel as if I've eavesdropped on some supernatural (yes, supernatural!) secret society with its own language. Or maybe just a fringe group from the Scottish Play?!

Forgive the intrusion confused Taking life a bit seriously is one of my longstanding faults which I've been working on for years--obviously more work needed!

Bags Fri 12-Oct-12 09:59:53

miney, your post two up was lovely, I thought. I enjoyed reading it smile.

Bags Fri 12-Oct-12 10:00:27

You're not intruding. Keep posting sunshine