Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Public prayer and Christian hypocrisy

(55 Posts)
absentgrana Wed 17-Oct-12 13:33:49

"When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full. But when you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you."

Why don't Christians do this? Do they think that they know better?

nanaej Sat 20-Oct-12 22:58:29

Hmm..builders found a dog skeleton when digging the foundations for our extension...but a horse johanna is something else!!

johanna Sat 20-Oct-12 21:59:21

Not quite sure how may bodies one is " allowed" in one's garden?
I was led to believe that it is just the one? grin

Pets are a different matter. Also led to believe that it is now illegal.
Where as years ago the vet used to help you carry the dead weight to the allocated spot, nowadays they ask you: " Will you dispose of the body ?"
If you answer with the affermative they are happy to leave you to it.
But I don't think they are allowed to actively partake any longer.
Could be wrong.

The old lady who we bought our home from 13 years ago did not need a vet.
Her farming son helped her bury her horse in the garden.
Yes, I have a WHOLE HORSE buried in my garden!!

annodomini Sat 20-Oct-12 20:45:13

So many stately homes have doggy graveyards - Dunham Massey was the last one I saw. Byron's dog, Bo'sun is buried at his ancestral estate, Newstead Abbey in Notts.

Lilygran Sat 20-Oct-12 19:32:37

Might also cause quite a fuss when the next but one owners decide to extend the patio. There's a pet graveyard at Chatsworth. One of the gravestones is to Grandad. I suppose it's a pet grin

Bags Sat 20-Oct-12 08:26:46

Reduction! Huh! They should pay more, if anything, for the added fertiliser. wink

absentgrana Sat 20-Oct-12 08:23:57

Bags Stately homes have mausoleums. Nevertheless, I suspect that potential purchasers of a suburban semi might well expect a price reduction if granny and grandad lie beneath the lawn. I wonder if you have to tell them. hmm

feetlebaum Fri 19-Oct-12 15:57:29

Ambrose Bierce defined it:

"PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Mishap Fri 19-Oct-12 14:48:01

In the Alps we saw a village that was clinging to the mountainside and it had a very tiny cemetry - after a few years they dug up the bones, labelled them up and painted flowers etc. on them and stored them in a room with public access so people could go round and admire them.

Bags Fri 19-Oct-12 12:19:05

People bury their dead pets in their back gardens, don't they? What's the difference other than deeper pit perhaps?

absentgrana Fri 19-Oct-12 12:11:08

Lilygran Lots of people who choose green funerals are buried in only a shroud.

johanna You can be buried almost anywhere, provided you have rights to the property, you obey health rules and you don't interfere with supplies of water, gas etc. However, if you bury someone in your back garden, I'm not sure what it does to the price you can expect when you come to sell the house.

Lilygran Fri 19-Oct-12 11:30:04

Moslems are buried only in a shroud so it must be OK to manage without the wooden or cardboard or wicker box (basket?).

absentgrana Fri 19-Oct-12 08:52:11

Why don't they bury coffins upright? You'd be able to fit in a lot more.

johanna I was looking at charges in an undertakers last week – my mother-in-law was cremated on Tuesday. Cardboard coffins don't cost as much as wooden ones. They seem to be around £290, whereas wooden ones start at about £650 and go on up into the thousands. Wicker coffins seem to be somewhere in the £500–£700 range.

Bags Fri 19-Oct-12 08:06:40

Sounds like a sensible use of resources to me – in this case, burial space.

jeni Fri 19-Oct-12 07:57:38

bagsit happens abroad. You only have your grave for about 12 years.

baubles Fri 19-Oct-12 07:17:23

wisewoman would it be possible to have some sort of ceremony at home? It's amazing how many people one can cram in when necessary.

In my family, when someone dies, we keep the body at home (other than a brief visit to the funeral parlour to carry out the embalming). This gives family and friends time to say their goodbyes, by the time the lid is put on and the coffin carried out, we are ready for the burial or cremation. People gather outside the house and leave for the funeral from there rather than their own home if at all possible. I find the practice of whipping the deceased out of the house as quickly as possible much more disturbing.

wisewoman Thu 18-Oct-12 23:15:34

There are woodland burial places which I think would be lovely. I dislike cremation mainly because I feel the places are like conveyer belts with one family coming out the door as the next goes in. Just a personal preference. I think it is difficult to find somewhere to have celebration of life before the burial. It can be a bit cold having the whole gathering and remembering bit outside!

Bags Thu 18-Oct-12 22:28:30

I think I've read about cemetery recycling somewhere. Shifting ancient bones into a more compact space to make way for new burials. Or something. Has anyone else come across that?

Greatnan Thu 18-Oct-12 20:58:52

Why is it sad, Johanna? The useful elements in your body will be returned to the earth whether you are buried or cremated. I think burials are still big business in the UK. We had a non-religious service in the chapel of the crematorium for my mother - various members of the family spoke lovingly about her life, and we had some of her favourite classical pieces of music. Then we all had lunch in a local hotel. It wasn't a sad occasion - she was 91 and had suffered from dementia for several years, so we just remembered her good times.

johanna Thu 18-Oct-12 20:51:52

Agree when, but in my county it seems there is not much room left.
They are old established grounds, and no new ones have been allocated as far as I know.
It does seem as if cremation is actively promoted.
Sad really.

Ana Thu 18-Oct-12 20:51:05

Lilygran! grin

Lilygran Thu 18-Oct-12 20:37:10

And round and round and round we go........

Wheniwasyourage Thu 18-Oct-12 20:08:38

johanna, why can't you be buried in a local authority cemetery? The one in our town takes anyone and it doesn't seem to matter if you have any religion or not.

Daman Thu 18-Oct-12 20:02:10

Yes the Christians do think they have progressed from the Bible, to use methods more appropriate for now. Even the Bible is a creation several hundred years after Jesus.

Daman Thu 18-Oct-12 19:57:46

If you accept the above words of Elegran and then go to the Crematorium for your Humanist service - there you have it - QED

johanna Thu 18-Oct-12 19:08:17

That is an interesting question wisewoman
" Where would you have your gathering?"
More importantly where would you want to be buried? Or could you be buried?
Multi denominational burial ground could mean a 50 mile drive?
Although there seem to be plenty of green burial sites springing up.
You know, the card board box, at the foot of a tree.
The internment industry has cottoned on to this by the way and now charges as much for the card board as the wooden coffin.

Most gatherings are usually after the burial, and I am sure any hotel would be delighted to host a fabulous wake.