Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Habeamus papem

(36 Posts)
Galen Wed 13-Mar-13 19:15:18

A Brazilian?

gracesmum Thu 14-Mar-13 09:01:05

Sorry to be a pedant but isn't it Habemus papam?
Anybody (other than the red tops) said "Hand of God" yet?

Gorki Thu 14-Mar-13 09:12:20

Yes it is gracesmum It annoyed me when they kept translating it as "there is a pope"which would be an entirely different construction.Habemus papem means"we have a pope"

Elegran Thu 14-Mar-13 09:13:56

Do they still add "et bene pendente" ?

Barrow Thu 14-Mar-13 09:33:33

Decided to go to 7.00 pm Mass last night but because the name of the new Pope hadn't been announced the congregation ended up packed into the sitting room of the Presbytery watching the TV. After Mass the Priest was giving a talk and halfway through opened champagne and we all toasted the new Pope. We were particularly pleased he has chosen the name of Francis as our church is St. Francis of Assisi !

Anne58 Thu 14-Mar-13 14:03:16

Good name, better then the one that was predicted.

As we were driving back from Enfield it was broadcast on the radio.

Just silly if you ask me, the announcer covered the bit about the white smoke and then said "The name of the new pope will be Announced Shortly"

Ana Thu 14-Mar-13 14:40:16

grin phoenix.

Just heard the new pope thinks the UK should hand the Falklands back to Argentina...

ginny Thu 14-Mar-13 15:26:18

Of course he would.

Anne58 Thu 14-Mar-13 15:27:35

They should stick to putting their own house in order, before venturing into politics.

I suppose that could be yet another indication of the Catholic Church not listening to the people, as after all the Falkland Islanders themselves have voted and made their wishes abundantly clear, but no, the opinion of the people most affected is discounted. sad

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose.

Barrow Thu 14-Mar-13 16:10:44

I understand he made the comment about the Falkland Islands over a year ago when he was Archbishop of Buenos Airies (sp).

Ana Thu 14-Mar-13 16:17:50

D'yuo think he might have changed his mind, then? confused