Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Four out of five British adults believe in the power of prayer.

(104 Posts)
j08 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:24:11

sad, and interesting article here

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 09:57:34

j08 I think you would have define what you mean by prayer and what you mean by the power of prayer before any sort of survey would have the slightest validity. Lack of meaningful definitions is one of the things that seems to be wrong with the original survey.

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 09:37:42

j08 If they don't post, how are you going to survey them? A gransnet survey of whether people believe in the power of prayer would be statistically meaningless not just in terms of the general population, but also in terms of gransnet members.

j08 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:23:51

We should do another survey. A proper one. Amongst Gransnetters. Including (especially) the ones who read but don't post.

whenim64 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:21:25

Sunseeker that's Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal who is usally based near here at Jodrell Bank, talking about what's out there in the cosmos. My grandson went there on a school trip (Jodrell Bank, not the cosmos) and came back with lots of posters and paraphernalia bearing this quote of Rees'.

sunseeker Sat 30-Mar-13 08:15:08

I was talking to a Priest recently and we were discussing non believers and he said something which I would like to share.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. (I think this was a quote but I don't know where from)

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 07:35:51

wink

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 07:19:26

Do four out of five British adults believe surveys?

Bags Sat 30-Mar-13 06:43:32

Yep, I meant the survey is codswallop and I always thought that it probably was. Prayer means what it means to the people who do it. mice has given as good an explanation as any you're likely to find, and I agree with her on the other points she makes too and I also wish everyone the best of the season, whatever they choose to call it. (the same applies to all 'seasons', of all kinds.)

j08 Fri 29-Mar-13 23:33:23

I'm absolutely gobsmacked about that article.

Audreyab Fri 29-Mar-13 22:43:54

ga that was brilliant, can I tell you my quick story, quite similar really.

I went to visit a friend that was having a few financial problems at the time as was I. When I visited her on this occassion she had a new couch in her living room and I asked her were it came from, she explained that her church donated it to her as they no longer needed it, it was quite a nice couch. When I left my friends house I remember thinking God loves her as he has looked after her when she needed it, as mentioned I was in a similar situation to my friend. I did not ask God for help.

The very next day I got a phone call from my mum saying that my rich uncle had furniture that he no longer needed and did I want it.

I do appreciate that people that do not believe may find a reasoning for both our situations but there is not much that we can do about that. They have a right to believe what they wis to believe as we do too.

Regardless .... I embrace you and very much wish you and yours a Happy Easter smile

MiceElf Fri 29-Mar-13 21:20:33

Well I agree! As I said above. And explained why....

Greatnan Fri 29-Mar-13 21:16:29

I can leave Bags to speak for herself, but I assumed she meant that the survey was codswallop, not prayer!

MiceElf Fri 29-Mar-13 21:08:39

Crossed posts Greatnan. I think (although I have absolutely no mandate to speak for her) that Nonu might find the use of 'codswallop' less than helpful and would prefer a reasoned critique of the poll. But I may be wrong.

MiceElf Fri 29-Mar-13 21:05:06

Well, actually, Bags, I agree! Having looked at the poll I can see no possible reason for asking the questions or for limiting the answers to a set of ticked boxes. But that's my problem with most of these surveys.

I refer back to my original comment above. Intercessory or petionary prayer is but a very small part of what is meant by prayer, and for what it's worth, I can't really see much point or value in this exercise.

Having not long returned from perhaps the most moving and solemn liturgy of the year, I wish everyone the consolations and joys of the seasons, whether it's Easter or Oestre it matters not. Roast chicken or plainly garnished pasta, I hope it has focussed all of our minds on those who have little to eat or who are sad or in need. And I hope we privileged people are minded to do something about it, however small.

Greatnan Fri 29-Mar-13 21:00:27

I don't think I undestand your post, Nonu. What do you find offensive? What beggars belief? The fact that some people do not share your beliefs? Or the fact that they have the right to express their own beliefs?
I am not offended by anybody else's beliefs, even if I think they are mistaken. Should believers have some special right to express their belief which is denied to the rest of us? Or can we express them only at certain times of the Christian year?

Bags Fri 29-Mar-13 20:03:35

I thought everybody's beliefs were supposed to be respected equally. That includes atheist beliefs, you know. Also, easter existed before christianity. As with other pagan festivals, it was adopted by christianity. Calling that sort of belief offensive doesn't make it any less true.

However, I hope people who celebrate it from a religious point of view have a lovely Easter, if lovely is the right word. Anyway, good wishes.

Mishap Fri 29-Mar-13 20:03:20

It is an interesting article - he expresses his views with wit and vehemence and I would defend his right to do so at whatever time of year. If he had distributed it at an Easter service, I would question his sensitivity, but othwerwise I am happy for him to say what he thinks.

Prayer seems to me much like meditation - if people take a space in their rushing about and sit down and meditate (pray?) on the plight of the third world or neighbours who are sick, that's fine - especially if it makes them go out and do something about it (as with the kind churchgoers who sent the washing machine).

I know friends pray for us and it does not put me under pressure in any way - I am not expecting a cure for my OH or a rapid recovery for me - but I hugely appreciate their prayers - they are trying to help me in a way that is meaningful for them and I accept that kindness with gratitude.

I am very disturbed by the idea of the article on people's belief in prayer as being a bit of dishonest spin - how deceitful. Not acceptable from believer or atheist.

Nonu Fri 29-Mar-13 19:37:15

I think it is sad , offensive , beggers believe .
sad sad

Nonu Fri 29-Mar-13 19:34:42

Oh gosh I would have thought that people would lay off with their aethist believes , at this the most important time in the church calender.

Hey ho .

Audreyab Fri 29-Mar-13 19:01:19

Thats such a sad story.

He found strenght in letting go and knowing that his child was going to be with God.

I dont understand that when things go wrong, people blame God, when things go wrong for me its God's Love that has always gotten me through. I have never blamed God for anything bad that has happened to me.

Condolences go to this Family x x

Bags Fri 29-Mar-13 17:42:16

Article suggests that the claim in the thread title is codswallop, which is what I thought all along.

Greatnan Wed 27-Mar-13 22:12:42

Thank you, Bags - that is the one I was thinking of.

j08 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:45:58

I have never heard of God turning up in a Curry's van.

I am NOT laughing!

j08 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:44:13

And rich ones! shock

MiceElf Wed 27-Mar-13 21:42:47

'When two or three are gathered together....'