Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Could you possibly............ .....

(108 Posts)
j08 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:31:22

be kind enough to tell me if you believe in the power of prayer. I know this is a very personal field, but it would be lovely if you could just post Yes or No. People who have never posted anything before are doubly welcome. smile

Nobody would come back to bite you whichever way you posted. They won't dare. (my bite can be worse than any others)

I guess, being Easter this is primarily aimed at Christians, but any God is fine with me. smile

Happy Easter to you, whether you believe or not. x

annodomini Wed 03-Apr-13 23:47:35

Then you won't be surprised to hear that it's a 'no' from me as well. J08, have you answered your own question?

hummingbird Wed 03-Apr-13 23:46:55

No, not really, although it is something I instinctively do at times. Weird, I know!

gordony Wed 03-Apr-13 23:18:02

No

Greatnan Wed 03-Apr-13 18:55:00

Jingle - I think people are capable of revising their views in the light of new ideas, so it is not always wise to assume you know how they will respond.

j08 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:51:25

Yes. I can guess very accurately what some posters will be saying. smile

speck123 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:34:30

Yes!

Grannybug Wed 03-Apr-13 10:48:50

In what at times can seem a harsh and uncaring world any thoughtful act of kindness is appreciated. When a family member was undergoing complex surgery I was touched by a colleagues response which was 'I am going to a prayer group when I finish today and will pray for your loved one' . The surgery was successful and I will always be grateful that another person recognised that it was a difficult time a gave what they could.

RobertJunior Wed 03-Apr-13 10:11:17

Fair enough Bags, good answer> My comments have been sparing after a shaky start on this site. All resolved happily.

Bags Wed 03-Apr-13 09:45:35

ana, yes.

petallus Wed 03-Apr-13 09:28:07

I've noticed I can guess what a poster's attitude is likely to be based on previous responses over the months but only if i 'know' them quite well.

Ana Wed 03-Apr-13 09:25:48

What about the 'non-commitals', Bags? Did you guess those accurately as well?

Bags Wed 03-Apr-13 09:21:13

I didn't guess yours, robert, because I haven't yet read many comments you've made on gransnet. With the others I've formed some kind of mental 'picture' (not a picture in the usual sense) of their general 'leanings'. The game was to see if I was accurate or way off the mark with regard to this thread topic. I might try it on another thread and another topic some time. I don't suppose it means very much really smile

j08 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:10:39

Yes. I find that interesting Bags.

RobertJunior Wed 03-Apr-13 09:02:04

Bags, how do you guess the responses so accurately?

My wife says my face is an open book,but I guess that wouldnt work here.

RobertJunior Wed 03-Apr-13 08:56:57

Nanapug, have you told your vicar cousin his comments make you angry. He's probably trying to help, in his own, even pompous, way.

nanapug Tue 02-Apr-13 11:02:37

No, in fact when my vicar cousin announces, in an exceedingly pompous fashion, that he is praying for me or members of my family, it makes me angry. If I haven't asked him too he has no right to presume that I want him to.

MiceElf Tue 02-Apr-13 10:17:15

And mine!

Greatnan Tue 02-Apr-13 10:10:47

My goodness, bags, did you really guess my response correctly? grin

RobertJunior Tue 02-Apr-13 09:27:48

YES. but it needs lots of practise to tune in.

Bags Tue 02-Apr-13 09:17:37

I've played a game with this thread. Whenever I see a new name I guess whether their answer to the OP's query is going to be yes or no. Got them all right so far.

Hunt Mon 01-Apr-13 23:31:19

When I was getting my knew hip ,it was in the news that a nurse had been reprimanded for praying for a patient. A Muslim Doctor and I were discussing this and he said he always spoke to Allah when doing any sort of procedure.(He'd just very successfully taken a blood sample from my very tiny veins) I ,as a Christian, felt comforted by this.

Joan Mon 01-Apr-13 21:52:55

When my atheist sister was having a double transplant - liver and kidney, she asked all her friends and relatives to think positive thoughts for her. We did, and no doubt the few with religious beliefs prayed for her. I'm sure the thought of all those people cheering her on, helped her recover, just like a sports team getting crowd support can be helped to victory.

Of course, what really saved her was medical science, not our thoughts, but our thoughts certainly helped her mental recovery.

nanaej Mon 01-Apr-13 18:39:46

No I don't. Though I think my younger brother prays for me regularly and I have no problem with that. My mum was religious and she prayed a lot, it gave her comfort when she was ill and dying.

mrshat Mon 01-Apr-13 18:23:52

Yes!

petallus Mon 01-Apr-13 14:26:31

When my seemingly healthy mother suddenly dropped dead twelve years ago, I welcomed anything which helped me and my family cope, including offers of prayers. Even though I am an atheist I did find the idea of people praying and my mother's name being mentioned in church a comfort.

On a lighter note, I was very amused at feetle's 'just don't sacrifice any goats on my behalf'. I hope I get the chance to say it one day.