Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Could you possibly............ .....

(108 Posts)
j08 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:31:22

be kind enough to tell me if you believe in the power of prayer. I know this is a very personal field, but it would be lovely if you could just post Yes or No. People who have never posted anything before are doubly welcome. smile

Nobody would come back to bite you whichever way you posted. They won't dare. (my bite can be worse than any others)

I guess, being Easter this is primarily aimed at Christians, but any God is fine with me. smile

Happy Easter to you, whether you believe or not. x

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Apr-13 14:06:00

I would say thank you and treat it as an act of kindness! They respect me enough as a person to want me to feel the benefits of something they regard as important. I have no problem with it despite my scepticism.

Greatnan Mon 01-Apr-13 14:03:26

If someone said they would pray for me, I would accept graciously as it would be a sign of goodwill. However, I would draw the line at a professional person, such as a doctor or nurse, saying it.
I liked Dave Allen's farewell remark - 'May your god go with you'. I don't have a god, but I thought it was a nice friendly remark.

Ana Mon 01-Apr-13 13:55:38

i.e. 'scathing'? confused

Nonu Mon 01-Apr-13 13:52:43

Yes

j08 Mon 01-Apr-13 13:49:30

Sorry. Thought you meant prayer offered when you are in need.

Second option.

sunseeker Mon 01-Apr-13 13:46:19

feetlebaum if someone were to tell me they didn't believe, I certainly would not say I would pray for them. I woud respect for their opinion, just as I would expect them to respect my belief.

j08 Mon 01-Apr-13 13:36:55

First option. #benice

feetlebaum Mon 01-Apr-13 13:11:33

How do non-superstitious folks here deal with the situation where someone reacts to youlack of belief with 'I'll pray for you'?

It's difficult... do we say 'That's kind of you' while secretly thinking that it's patronizing and pointless, or do we say something scathing - 'Just don't sacrifice any goats on my behalf'...

Enviousamerican Sun 31-Mar-13 15:42:38

Yes

wisewoman Sun 31-Mar-13 14:50:21

No, don't believe it changes events but believe can change how you feel. Felt very supported by other people saying they were praying for me and my family during a particularly difficult time. Mark you, also felt supported by people saying they were thinking about us so I suppose it is not prayer, per se, but love and concern. confused

dustyangel Sun 31-Mar-13 14:44:27

grandson of course! jO,I was just thinking,if you offered to share your Easter Eggs, you might get more answers!

dustyangel Sun 31-Mar-13 14:40:26

Hello petallus,well done to you and your grandon.

Orca Sun 31-Mar-13 14:00:35

No

gillybob Sun 31-Mar-13 13:41:45

No

MiceElf Sun 31-Mar-13 13:37:32

I've got about ten seconds before the lamb goes in the oven, so.... I think the idea of saints is that in whatever form heaven takes they are people who have lived a good and holy life who who pray WITH those of us here. Their lives are an example of how different people in different circumstances and eras attempted to follow the teachings of Jesus.

As for Saint Antony, god love him, but I think all that nonsense is folklore and popular superstition. No harm in it, really, and I think those who say pray to St Antony or whoever, do say it with a bit of a chuckle!

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 13:26:16

Freecell is almost as addictive as Gransnet. I can play Freecell and watch or listen to the TV. I can't read or post on GN and do the same though.

JessM Sun 31-Mar-13 12:28:41

petallus well done and welcome back. Hope you can now give up free cell.

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 12:02:31

JaneA You might be right about car keys. Its what I said before about "praying"/concentrating. It gives you time to think what you did with them when you last had them.
"I went upstairs to change my shoes/have a pee/check the back door/get the shopping list.
I am an expert at misplacing keys just before leaving the house.

Greatnan Sun 31-Mar-13 11:41:07

Jane - I don't lose my keys - they are in the door so I can't get out without them and my car key is on the same ring!

Greatnan Sun 31-Mar-13 11:39:42

But then St. Antony would have to bother god! Even when I was a devout Catholic, I could not understand the whole concept of saints, as I thought only god was to be worshipped but I expect the nuns just did not explain it properly. (Come in Lilygran and Micelf - my religious tutors!)

janeainsworth Sun 31-Mar-13 11:36:30

Greatnan I can't find the reference, but I am sure that a couple of years ago some research proved that if you say OUT LOUD "Where the bl**dy h*ll are those keys?" they will magically appear withiun 30 seconds wink
Try it next timegrin

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 11:30:13

Ah Pettalus good to have you back! You gave up GN for lent I believe! Well done!

Galen Sun 31-Mar-13 11:20:41

They don't. They know that's St Amthony of Padua!grin

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 11:17:25

I am not convinced if prayer, as in requesting the support/intervention of a higher being is relevant.

Perhaps though the mind focussing by the process of concentration does something for helping to work out what is needed to solve a difficult situation or helps one to accept it.

Sorry JO8 That is probably not the answer format you wanted.

Greatnan Sun 31-Mar-13 11:04:31

I have always found it amusing that anybody would believe that a supreme intelligence that rules the universe would be interested in helping them to find their keys!