Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Faith or Reason?

(74 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 28-May-13 20:07:16

An interesting video:
www.prageruniversity.com/Religion-Philosophy/God-or-Atheism--Which-Is-More-Rational.html

feetlebaum Wed 12-Jun-13 08:30:11

Some 'University'! Balderdash...

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 08:57:52

Yes. I looked at that when it was posted earlier. It's complete bullshit. If anyone wants to find it comforting, fine, but it's still bullshit.

Greatnan Wed 12-Jun-13 09:01:04

Rubbish pseudo science. If a belief in a god were rational, most rational people would accept it, which clearly they do not. Even my very intelligent Catholic friend agrees that her faith is not based on logic - it is just something she feels, needs and enjoys.

petallus Wed 12-Jun-13 09:36:43

Balderdash, bullshit and rubbish, all in three short posts! grin

Must go and watch the video.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 09:37:53

No point pussyfooting around, petallus. Enjoy the video.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 09:38:50

Can I be bothered?

Nah!

petallus Wed 12-Jun-13 09:43:00

Video boring so read transcript. Ah bless!

Didn't realise Newton believed in God.

petallus Wed 12-Jun-13 09:51:11

Actually this is a good example of how something can be logical but still not convincing.

Logic is not infallible.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 11:27:19

Exactly. If your argument is based on a false or dubious premise, the logic it follows may be perfect, but that doesn't mean your conclusion has reached the truth, or even anywhere near it.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 11:29:03

Also, isn't the the fact that faith isn't rational one of the main arguments used against comparing it to atheism?

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 11:30:20

petallus, I would argue with that. People's use of logic isn't fallible but I think logic, correctly used, is.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 11:31:02

Sorry... meant infallible! #goodone!

petallus Wed 12-Jun-13 13:01:15

Problem is when someone is using logic to justify a position which often stems from underlying emotion (antipathy to religion say), to them their argument seems impeccable.

I suppose the nice bloke in the video feels he is making a watertight case.

I think logic in itself is fine, but only up to a point. We need other things as well, like morality (which is often completely illogical)

Greatnan Wed 12-Jun-13 13:24:51

I think most people's morality is logical - we are a pack animal and deviating too far from the pack's norms could lead to exclusion.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 13:39:42

Could you give an example of illogical morality, please? I'm finding it hard to think of one.

petallus Wed 12-Jun-13 16:22:53

Not allowing medical experiments on people awaiting execution.

Rescuing dogs and whales but not caring about other animals, in fact eating them.

Not allowing people who are going to die soon anyway to take the euthanasia option.

Not executing murderers, instead spending a fortune keeping them in prison for life.

Bags Wed 12-Jun-13 17:58:22

"Not allowing medical experiments on people awaiting execution."
If it's immoral to allow medical experiments on people without their consent, then it's always immoral. So not illogical.

"Rescuing dogs and whales but not caring about other animals, in fact eating them."
Eating meat does not mean one doesn't care about animals. The 'logic' of the argument is false.

"Not allowing people who are going to die soon anyway to take the euthanasia option."
I wouldn't call this moral. The law is based on religious conceptions of the sacredness of life. Laws on this are beginning to change because many people think it is wrong to let someone continue to suffer when they (the sufferer) would choose to end the suffering by getting help to die. See Dignity in Dying and similar organisations.

"Not executing murderers, instead spending a fortune keeping them in prison for life."
You might execute the wrong person. It has happened. Is execution 'moral' anyway? I wouldn't have said so, even if it's desirable in the sense of ridding society of burdens it can do without.

So, in all these examples, either the logic or the so-called morality is faulty.

Ergo, it's not illogical morality. Nor is it logical immorality.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:16:39

You can't allow .medical experiments on people just because they are awaiting execution! The execution is their punishment. They don't suddenly become the property of the state holding them! shock

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:18:36

Agree about getting sentimental about some animals whilst eating others. 'twas ever thus though. I don't want to eat cat anyway. Or dog.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:19:20

Agree about getting sentimental about some animals whilst eating others. 'twas ever thus though. I don't want to eat cat anyway. Or dog.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:19:40

Sorry. On Fire.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:21:04

Capital punishment belongs in the dark ages. Think about the person pulling the bolt back.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:22:21

Not sure about euthanasia.

j08 Wed 12-Jun-13 18:24:12

I have watched the vid. So, is he saying believing in a creator is logical. If so, why is Bags posting this? confused