Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Most moving Bible phrase?

(98 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 04-Apr-14 16:05:06

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

dustyangel Sat 20-Sep-14 11:38:49

When I was in a church choir we used to sing " The Lord bless and keep you " blessing often. It was one of my favourites.

mrsmopp Sun 21-Sep-14 21:55:37

Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace : according to thy word.
For mine eyes have seen : thy salvation,
Which thou hast prepared : before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles : and to be the glory of thy people Israel.

soontobe Mon 03-Nov-14 19:58:31

Psalm 46 v 1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Tabitha2 Fri 19-Dec-14 16:22:58

Psalm 23 :The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

alex57currie Sat 20-Dec-14 12:26:35

Whenever you are in a fix
Rely on Proverbs 3 v 5+6

nannynoo Mon 06-Apr-15 02:43:27

Its song lyrics on my mind today ''The road is long , with many a winding turn which leads us to who knows where , who knows where , but I'm strong''

Feel like I need the strength of David facing Goliath , but look what God did with little David against the big , huge , powerful Goliath

He just had to pick up a stone and fire it , thats all , nothing earth shattering or strenuous or hard work , just a simple easy and thing and he brought the giant down with Gods help

I am praying for a huge miracle! x

soontobe Mon 06-Apr-15 06:43:59

Be bold, for the Lord your God is with you.

Falconbird Mon 06-Apr-15 07:11:41

Love all these quotes.

My favourites are:-

Consider the lilies of the field they toil not neither do they spin, yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars.

My prayers are with you nannynoo.

I would love to find a copy of the St. James' Bible. It's so poetic.

absent Mon 06-Apr-15 07:35:26

How about "Let there be light"? It might make a bit of difference to the modern world.

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Apr-15 08:34:18

Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 1Peter 5:7

I also like this, not from the bible, but beautiful,

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, "Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown.
And he said to me, " Go out into the darkness. Put your hand into the hand of God, that shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way".
So I went forth, and finding the hand of God, trod gladly into the night. And he led me towards the hills, and the breaking of day in the lone east.

The rest of the poem is lovely, it is by Minnie Louise Haskins.

annodomini Mon 06-Apr-15 09:38:05

Not particularly moving, but a salutary reminder: 'judge not that you be not judged.'

Falconbird Mon 06-Apr-15 10:09:40

annodomini - I agree and it's something I've always tried to live up to but it sure isn't easy.

A quote that goes with your quote is "vengeance is main saith the Lord."

EllenMay Mon 20-Apr-15 09:40:03

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3.16

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23.4

Greyduster Mon 20-Apr-15 10:03:08

"Whosoever liveth and believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live".

nigglynellie Wed 22-Apr-15 18:03:08

The Lord bless you and keep you, May the Lord make his face to shine upon you.................and bring you peace.

This always reminds me of my Stepfather who wasn't at all religious, but after my mother died was so lost and forlorn that it nearly broke my heart. He died of cancer 8 months later, and this hymn(?) sums up how I felt.

nigglynellie Wed 22-Apr-15 18:04:36

Sorry, not from the bible, but hopefully acceptable.

Falconbird Wed 22-Apr-15 19:05:57

I don't think this is a Bible quote but one of my favourite hymns.

"Be still for the presence of the Lord, the Holy One is here."

It always makes me feel calmer.

Neeny Wed 22-Apr-15 19:58:12

Psalm 121 - Verse 7

The Lord will keep you from all harm -
He will watch over your life;
The Lord will watch over your coming and going
Both now and for ever more.

pearly163 Mon 11-May-15 19:59:29

He will wipe away every tear from their eye, and death shall be no more, neither shall mourning or crying or pain be any more, the former things have passed away

pearly163 Mon 11-May-15 20:04:55

He will wipe away every tear from their eye, and death shall be no more, neither shall mourning or crying or pain be any more, the former things have passed away.

TriciaF Mon 11-May-15 20:48:32

This afternoon I was reading Leviticus 25:35
"If your brother becomes impoverished and loses his ability to support himself in the community you must come to his aid - help him to survive."
ie before he collapses completely.
Which I thought was apt for these days.

pearly163 Fri 29-May-15 17:13:17

And God will wipe away every tear from their eye; and death shall be no more, neither shall mourning or crying or pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.