Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

A view of what faith is

(82 Posts)
Lilygran Tue 23-Dec-14 22:41:34

I thought this was an interesting approach to defining what faith is. For people who keep asking what it is, exactly. www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/david-brooks-the-subtle-sensations-of-faith.html?emc=edit_ty_20141223&nl=opinion&nlid=70471830&_r=0

Ariadne Thu 25-Dec-14 10:39:03

Wise words as ever, Elegran. And timely. X

feetlebaum Thu 25-Dec-14 11:57:26

@Galen - "What about all the hominids, neathanderal man, Peking Man, and all the other Homo sapiens precursors?" Not precursors... speciation doesn't work like that - there is no neat queue of ever-taller, ever more upright hominids, culminating in an accountant living in Orpington as the peak of development. It's a matter of common ancestors - as homo sap. has a common ancestor with the chimpanzee, and that common ancestor had an earlier common ancestor with the gorilla...

@Soontobe - "evolution - species do adapt, but essentially stay the same."

That's shown to be wrong by the transitional forms - tiktalik for one, which was a fish on the way to becoming a reptile... Evolution happens in populations, not in individuals, over enormous numbers of generations.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Galen Thu 25-Dec-14 12:17:01

feet I was not trying to be scientific, just disagreeing with creationist theories,
I perfectly understand (as much as anyone does) the evolutionary tree with its branches.
I have studied evolution and paleo archeology to a small degree and I would thoroughly disagree about the accountant in Orpington.
I thought it was generally agreed that the pinnacle is a lady living in sight of the Paps of Jura?

Ariadne Thu 25-Dec-14 14:05:51

Oh yes, Galen!

Lilygran Thu 25-Dec-14 17:11:39

We are all boats in a stormy sea but with faith, we aren't helpless.

alternativegran Mon 05-Jan-15 08:06:40

Thank you Lilygran, its a really good article.

For some people these transcendent moments change the whole direction of their lives, the accounts of Maurice Bucke, a reforming psychiatrist in the 19th century, and Allan Smith a physician and researcher in the 1970s are worth reading.