Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

A question about sin

(84 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 03-Jan-15 21:55:52

Another thread about blasphemy got me thinking about sin.

Apparently there are two types of sins. The first are against Jesus and are OK because they're forgivable but the second are against the Holy Spirit and those are not forgivable and condemn the sinner to eternal damnation no matter what they do to try to put it right. The Catholic Church says you can be forgiven through confession which goes against the unforgivable bit. The Protestants get round it by saying that to be forgiven and unforgivable sin would be a miracle and as God can do miracles he can forgive you. I find this a bit confusing. Would anyone like to clarify it?

As lying, stealing, murder, adultery, not keeping the Sabbath, coveting your neighbour ass and a myriad of other things are also sins do you get upset about all of them or is there a hierarchy amongst sins?

Do you never, ever tell a white lie to spare someone's feelings? What about Santa? Is he a white lie? Is a white lie less of a sin than any other coloured lie?

Do you never, ever go into a shop, garage, hotel, restaurant or anywhere else that someone is working on the Sabbath? Is it a sin to work on the Sabbath or because it's a rest day? Is it OK to work on the Sabbath if you have a rest day on another day? What about doctors, nurses etc? Are they committing sins for working on a Sabbath?

You may not have coveted your neighbour's ass but have you never fancied his Jag or Land Rover?

St Thomas Aquinas said that despair is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and therefore can never be forgiven. Seems like I'm buggered then.

This isn't a facetious question btw? There just seem to be so many sins and yet people only seem to get upset about a few of them. What about the Leviticus sins? Do you avoid pork and bacon? Or not wear pearls? It seems that as Christians you don't have to follow the OT rules so why are the Ten Commandments still accepted? And what about the poor guy with the crushed scrotum or chopped off penis who commits a sin by going into a church? I kid you not it's in Deuteronomy 23:1

Didn't Jesus just give three commandments. Love God. Love one another. Love yourself.

papaoscar Sun 04-Jan-15 15:33:59

I have always had a cynical attitude towards religion, due I suspect to a non-conformist upbringing. Some aspects of religion I respect and admire, while much of it I find quite unacceptable. Fundamentalism stinks as far as I am concerned. Tolerance and kindness should be the norms of human existence. Those who practise otherwise are hypocrites. What is going on in the east these days fills me with great anger yet conduct in the west leaves much to be desired. Answers? I don't have any, but I do have a good feeling about Jesus so I call myself a Christian. I think JC knew a lot more about human nature than we give him credit for and, after all, its human nature that is the cause of most of our problems.

Leticia Sun 04-Jan-15 15:52:36

I would go with Luke 15:7

I say unto you that likewise more joy shall be in Heaven over one sinner that repenteth, than over ninety and nine just persons who need no repentance.

Agus Sun 04-Jan-15 16:05:57

soon You were not quoting the bible when you expressed your view that you 'personally' think that homosexuality is a wrong thing to do then as now.

I have seen the heartache caused to a dear friend due to people who hold the same view as you.

Surely in 2015 anyone with even the slightest knowledge of biology understands the reasons behind homosexuality.

Eloethan Sun 04-Jan-15 16:19:17

Soontobe If your views are representative of mainstream Christianity, I'm rather glad that I'm not a Christian or a follower of any religion. I suspect, though, that Jesus would have disagreed with many of your comments.

Grannyknot Sun 04-Jan-15 16:34:04

papa I could have written your post. I was raised by a staunch Christian, non-conformist mother smile Her brand of Christianity was one of equality, and kindness.

Galen Sun 04-Jan-15 16:58:36

Only just seen this thread.
I refuse to subscribe to any religion that bans the wearing of pearls!

Seriously, at the convent I was told the two types of sin were mortal and genial. Genial was things like lying, mortal things like murder!

Galen Sun 04-Jan-15 16:59:30

Venal not genial!
What would a genial sin be?

Lapwing Sun 04-Jan-15 17:03:17

Sounds like it would be good fun!! hmm

Ana Sun 04-Jan-15 17:04:38

Playing a prank on your poor old Granny? grin

Mishap Sun 04-Jan-15 17:09:03

Oh - I was just thinking I might like a bit of genial sin!

Ana Sun 04-Jan-15 17:12:06

I suppose a genial sinner would be similar to a lovable rogue...

loopylou Sun 04-Jan-15 17:13:13

Definitely fun I think!grin, and certainly something the nuns would have highly disapproved of, hopefully!

Galen Sun 04-Jan-15 17:18:00

Tut tut!

granjura Sun 04-Jan-15 17:30:59

In French 'génial' means brilliant or fabulous- so I'll go for that ;)

loopylou Sun 04-Jan-15 17:32:37

grin! Would be fun finding out anyway!

Grannyknot Sun 04-Jan-15 17:47:21

This is the sort of Christian my mother was: she sang in the church choir and there was no one to look after us of an evening (my gran was the organist) - so the three of us would accompany her to choir practice. Bored stiff we would have "races" by lying on our backs and hanging on to the edge of the pews and scooting across the highly polished floors under the benches at the back of the church. One day we were caught and severely told off for disrespecting the house of God - I actually remember the woman saying "God sees you because he doesn't sleep" which was a bit scary, I was about 5 years old. Anyway my mother soon shut the complainant up by saying how delighted she was at our creativity at keeping ourselves occupied. And something about how God loves little children. grin

So maybe I had committed a genial sin!

GillT57 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:12:58

I am very uncomfortable with fundamentalism in all its forms from IS murdering other Muslims because they are the wrong group, Christians murdering gay people in Uganda and Jewish extremists who brand anyone who questions what is happening in Palestine as being anti - semitic or holocaust deniers. There is no room for this intolerance in my.life and nowhere in among this behaviour do I see evidence of people being anything other than smugly self assured of their own salvation which behaviour in itself is surely blasphemous, ironically.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Jan-15 18:16:48

Grannyknot my son, when he was tiny, would play quietly with his little cars along the aisle during church services. Everyone would smile benignly, and the minister would mention him by name. That was a Methodist church.

soontobe Sun 04-Jan-15 18:17:38

Christians are in no way supposed to be murdering gays. We are supposed to be loving people, not murdering them.

GillT57 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:29:56

soontobe in some African countries including Uganda homes homosexuality is punishable by death

GillT57 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:30:43

Sorry meant 'homosexuality"

soontobe Sun 04-Jan-15 18:37:05

That is appalling.

That is absolutely the opposite to what God wants to happen.

Ariadne Sun 04-Jan-15 18:54:37

How do you know? You do seem to be quite homophobic.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Jan-15 19:05:17

Have you got a direct line soon?

soontobe Sun 04-Jan-15 19:15:39

Yes. Prayer. No intermediaries required.

Plus we have the bible.

I think we will come full circle soon, so I will minimise my posts on here now you will be glad to know.