Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If you want to ask a question

(271 Posts)
soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 18:32:19

A thread if you want to ask me a question about christianity. Mine, or in general.

I am getting asked questions about my christianity across different threads.

So if you want to ask me a question, ask here.

If no one does, fine. Great.
But if you do in future, I suspect that gransnet would like it dealt with here rather than questions popping up on other peoples' threads, for the forseeable.
Thanks.

GillT57 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:45:05

Since when have you been an expert? Since when has Gransnet decided that you are the oracle on all matters regarding Christianity. That's two questions for you to start.

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 18:50:16

I guess, if you are being asked on other threads, it's because of views you have expressed there.
As I haven't seen those views, I don't have any questions for you on this thread.

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 18:55:57

I am not an expert on anything.
I am not an oracle on anything.

vampirequeen Sat 10-Jan-15 20:15:19

I don't think soontobe meant she was an expert. She tried to answer my questions about Christianity on another thread based on her beliefs. I'm sure she's aware that other Christian denominations might interpret the Bible differently or have different traditions.

GillT57 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:19:28

Didn't mean to be as rude as it came across, just feeling a bit touchy and seriously disillusioned with all religion in view of the atrocities committed in recent days and weeks.

rosequartz Sat 10-Jan-15 20:36:01

What denomination are you, soontobe?

And if people are religious, many worship the same God so why are there so many different interpretations of that God?

And how will we ever know - is it just something to make people feel that there is meaning to life other than we are then we die and are no more?

Is it just like an insurance policy?

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 20:45:18

vq - absolutely

GillT57 - totally understandable
And I would also add that if others feel like that too, this thread might be best avoided.
I dont want people to feel worse than they already do.

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 20:52:48

rosequartz
1. Methodist
2. The bible is complex. I often wonder why God made it that way. I sometimes think it must because He wants to be slightly unsearchable?
Also, the Catholics for example add books to the bible that other denominations dont think are part of the original bible.
Jehovahs witness do that too, a different set again I think.
As I said above, I am no expert, and other christians may be more accurate than me.
3. and 4. Tricky questions. I dont like to talk on behalf of other christians or even other Methodists. My standard pat answer is to advise people to read some of the bible themselves and make their own minds up.
I guess some people start off searching because they are looking for meaning, or because they want a sort of insurance policy.
I think there are probably many reasons.

Ariadne Sat 10-Jan-15 20:56:57

I will ask questions wherever and whenever I see the need, soontobe - you clearly feel you can express your views whatever the topic of a thread. I will not be dictated to. If GN want something done, they can ask.

There are many, many kind, very intelligent and thoughtful Christians on GN, who demonstrate their belief in their general demeanour, who will profess their faith without being dogmatic, and who listen and think.

thatbags Sat 10-Jan-15 20:59:50

ariadne, thank you for that post.

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 21:04:43

I don't think the Jehovah's witnesses have extra books of the bible, just a different translation of the same ones.
The Mormons do have their own Book of Mormon, as well as the bible.

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 21:24:43

FarNorth - thank you for that. You may well be right.

Ariadne and thatbags - I as yet dont know all the gransnet etiquette and unwritten rules of the forum.
I think what may be best for me is if people ask me questions about christianity on threads across the forum, that it may be best if I choose not to answer them there.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Jan-15 21:28:25

What makes you think God made the bible? confused

How did He do it?

absent Sat 10-Jan-15 22:01:22

Is this thread meant to be funny?

mcem Sat 10-Jan-15 22:18:38

Soon would you please reread ariadne's post and give some real consideration to what she says.

On GN there are many devout practising Christians who have taken a full part (and sometimes a very assertive stance) in many faith-based discussions. Often the only conclusion reached is that we agree to disagree. This can be achieved if posters show respect, put forward reasoned arguments and don't preach or patronise.

You have said that you are no expert and are putting forward only your own point of view. Can you accept that there may be many other GN members who have studied the Bible, comparative religion, the history of religion etc and who are actually experts in the field?

However they may have decided not to display their expertise because they feel that this is not an appropriate forum for evangelising.

Your very dogmatic but simplistic way of arguing may well be dissuading them from joining the discussion.

Please try to recognise that this is not the way to persuade intelligent thinking people to accept your point of you.

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 22:19:08

There are eye witness accounts, and writers writing.

The bible is inspired by God.

mcem Sat 10-Jan-15 22:20:22

Point of view -not you!!

soontobe Sat 10-Jan-15 22:29:47

I am not trying to persuade people to accept my point of view. I asked if they wanted to ask me questions.

I am more then happy for anybody else whatsoever to join the discussion.

I will ask gransnet HQ if they are ok about the thread and its structure.

Ana Sat 10-Jan-15 22:34:02

No of course it's not meant to be funny, absent.

I don't think soontobe is setting herself to be any sort of authority on Christianity, she just thought that rather than having to justify her every post on other threads it might be easier to attempt to address any criticisms/queries others may have about her views by starting this one.

Of course it was never going to work, but soontobe wasn't to know that.

mcem Sat 10-Jan-15 22:37:49

Well I'm glad you're ok with others joining. Being the OP doesn't mean you gain ownership of the thread.

BUT you really don't get it, do you?

You seem to skim read everything and aren't really grasping the point so are unable to answer with anything other than dogma and brainwashing with no evidence at all of research or independent thinking.

absent Sat 10-Jan-15 22:40:08

Ana But it is. Funny, that is, or at least laughable.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 10-Jan-15 22:46:29

What did Jesus mean when he said "In my Father's house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you."

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 22:48:27

soontobe started this thread with a serious intent.
If you find it funny, it would be polite to ignore it rather than make silly comments.
Oh well....

FarNorth Sat 10-Jan-15 22:48:56

(not meaning you, jingls)