Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Lent

(42 Posts)
petallus Fri 20-Feb-15 10:13:39

i thought I'd do something for Lent this year. I'm reading the Psalms and meditating on them. Already I have picked up a helpful tip.

Is anybody else doing Lent?

Treebee Sat 21-Feb-15 21:50:34

I'm having a go at 40 Acts too. I've never really done Lent, don't give up chocolate etc as I would see it as dieting not fasting for spiritual reasons. But I like something to focus on and the generosity of 40 Acts appeals. Not sure how successful I'll be though I chased a runaway bit of litter today and stuffed it in a bin while doing my father in law's shopping!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Feb-15 22:40:27

I am not giving up anything and I am not doing any sodding acts.

Ana Sat 21-Feb-15 22:55:08

I'm with you, jingl!

(although I probably do an 'act' every day anyway - surely most of us do?)

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:31:29

It reminds me a bit about the young man who was in the paper because he did a good deed every day for a year, some quite simple. I hope he hasn't stopped doing them now the year is up. "That's it, I've done my bit, let someone else be kind for a change!"

I think most of the lovely Gnetters do a good act every day regardless.
Must take a look to see what it includes.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:35:25

Register? Email address? Resource packs?
hmm

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:38:00

Join the movement?
Looked on FB and it says we can take a day off today.
DH can cook his own dinner then.

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 12:09:03

Oh dear! So far the Psalms aren't as interesting as I'd hoped. I'm up to No 20 and it's mainly bewailing and asking God to break the teeth, smite etc. the many enemies. Also telling God how virtuous the writer is compared with 'the nations'.

Maybe I need to read metaphorically.

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 12:18:42

Can't understand the denial and restrictions personally- unless it is to help others. I like the idea of saving the money or time from anything, and give it to others.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 12:51:07

Denial and restrictions could help me personally (lose weight) but I don't think that is the thinking behind it grin

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 13:00:52

Other religions' practices involve self denial. Ramadam for instance.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 13:29:51

Is denial of food supposed to lift one to a higher level of consciousness?

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 13:41:07

Ramadan is very much linked to giving money and food to those in need- it is one of the essential 5 pillars of Islam (zakat)

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 13:55:02

Yes and many Christians who decide to give up certain foods or alcohol during Lent donate money saved to charity.

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 13:57:43

Makes much more sense then, I think. However, in Islam is it an essential and compulsory aspect - whereas it seems it is very much a choice for others.

soontobe Sun 22-Feb-15 14:11:20

Not exactly in christianity rosequartz.

christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/a/spiritualfasting.htm

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 17:22:58

Very enlightening article.