Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Defining a "sect" or a "cult"

(42 Posts)
Gracesgran Mon 06-Jul-15 10:17:43

I recently referred to extreme a fundamental Methodist group as a "sect" but this was challenged.

This is one definition of "sect". There are others but they seem quite similar to me.

1. A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.
2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.
3. A faction united by common interests or beliefs.

As Methodism is, in itself a distinct unit of Christianity I thought this qualified. To be honest the group that has been described seems to have such extreme views, claiming to be Christian, even considering the Bible to be authoritative whilst manipulating the Scriptures to fit their own beliefs so I do not feel I would have been wrong in calling it a cult.

I think we are often blinkered when we look at these organisations, feeling that such sects or cults are only based on non-Christian beliefs and not seeing the overall issues from all groups that believe they, and only they know the absolute truth.

... but I could be wrong. smile

Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 21:19:12

Heard him preach once, an inspiring speaker!

Riverwalk Tue 07-Jul-15 09:05:40

I heard him many times - he was a permanent fixture at Speakers' Corner.

Elrel Wed 08-Jul-15 12:58:07

As far as I can understand all the great religions have an underlying belief in increasing compassion and decreasing suffering. More important than worrying about labels perhaps.
The books of the Bible have reached us through so many translations that they are open to a range of interpretations. Again, is this, unless one is a scholar, something to worry about?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jul-15 13:04:17

Nah.

MaryXYX Wed 08-Jul-15 16:06:57

I am currently a member of the URC. If you haven't heard of it don't worry, I hadn't five years ago. From time to time we have joint services with an Anglican church, a Methodist church and a Baptist church. I regard all of these cooperating churches as denominations. We work together but cherish our sometimes pointless differences.

I understand a sect to be a church that doesn't cooperate with other churches, and the usual understanding of a cult is a church that uses indoctrination, threats and even force to stop members "defecting".

Now how about the church of which I was a member for 30 or so years? It described itself as "The Church" and what most of us call denominations as "The Harlot". The indoctrination was clearly there but many people walked away and in the end I was thrown out. A sect?

Lilygran Thu 09-Jul-15 10:38:24

Nice post, MaryXYX smile. Those pointless differences!

annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 11:30:31

The JWs are, to my mind, a sect which has its own peculiar interpretation of the Bible. However, the so-called 'Church' of Scientology is a cult, dependent as it is on the mythology created by its founder, L Ron Hubbard. How they can call themselves a 'Church' is beyone my comprehension.

annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 11:31:36

PS Apologies to any grans who may be JWs or Scientologists.

rosewhite Sat 11-Jul-15 10:41:19

The Bible is one of the most accurate translations ever made!
Obviously the language and some syntax has been updated but its message remains the same.
What you probably mena is that some cults choose to alter it for their own ends.
But then the Bible as we know it is not the collection of books that Jesu sand the disciples knew - for instance Enoch and Jubilees were removed on Satan's orders by the Council of Nicea as the books tell of Satan's making, downfall and his eventual destruction .

Hitler, Stalin and others also destroyed the evdience of their origins too?

rosewhite Sat 11-Jul-15 10:44:18

annodomini, I actually use a JW Bible which Ibegged from thir stall in Sowerby Bridge market - they refused to sell me it even though I offered to buy it - and it reads the same as other Bibles.

Your idea that it is corrupted is a suggestion put in your head by Satan.

Beg or borrow a copy to search for what you think are corruptions but you will not find any.
What you will find are the truths spoken by God and Jesus either personally or via prophets.

Greenfinch Sat 11-Jul-15 11:37:44

The JWs believe there will be a limit on the numbers of those who will be saved and it is a relatively small number .Did Jesus ever say or imply this?

soontobe Sat 11-Jul-15 12:17:45

The JW Bible does not read the same as the others.
Anyone can compare.

Gracesgran Sat 11-Jul-15 13:31:59

Your idea that it is corrupted is a suggestion put in your head by Satan.

Crumbs. Of course it isn't put in her head by Satan rosewhite. The bible is a collection of writings gathered together to suit various, what could widely be described as, political aims. It seems you are probably a member of a sect with very extreme views.

You say it is the most accurate translation ever. Who says? Where is your evidence? I would also ask - translation of what and who decided? The bible was written by man and translated by man. If any supreme being had any influence in what was written down it must be doubtful that any mere man could understand enough to get it all correct.

annodomini Sat 11-Jul-15 14:28:03

Rubbish rosewhite! What I actually said was: The JWs are, to my mind, a sect which has its own peculiar interpretation of the Bible. The word 'corrupted' didn't come into my post. My emphasis was on a particular interpretation of Scripture. Not that I specially care!

Elegran Sat 11-Jul-15 14:49:41

A -hhhh-mmmm There is a lot of unnecessary feeding going on here.

annodomini Sat 11-Jul-15 15:10:59

Sorry, Elegran. I won't do it again!