Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Endless fascination with the possibility of the "afterlife" ;

(350 Posts)
wotanuisanceABC123 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:51:24

Has anyone else, without proof positive been fascinated with the afterlife, spiritual communication etc? I have been since aged 8

Alea Fri 16-Oct-15 08:48:28

Can I ask what led to this? And was it a comforting or frightening experience?

boheminan Fri 16-Oct-15 09:01:33

Alea. It was a very frightening experience pre the cleansing, but I now feel far more comfortable in my home.
No more looking over my shoulder, or suddenly feeling freezing cold/boiling hot (and I'm not referring to the menopause!) no more things being moved around...etc. As others here have said, and I fully understand, anyone who has experienced paranormal 'activity', can find it very difficult to talk to others about, because of general hostility and scepticism.

It's hard to describe the terrible fear the whole experience brings, and it isn't a subject to be merrily discussed in a light hearted conversation. Personally, this is the first time I've actually aired my experience.

LullyDully Fri 16-Oct-15 09:19:58

It sounds awful. Glad all's sorted

spabbygirl Fri 16-Oct-15 09:20:23

I'm fascinated by the afterlife too, but not in an unhealthy way, I don't do ouija or spiritualist stuff, but every now and again things happen.
It was my mum's experience of a ghost that convinced me. She & her sister went to stay in an old cottage they had known in their youth, its Margells, a medieval house in Branscombe Devon, now owned by The Landmark Trust. Both women have the tact and strength of character of a bulldozer, they just don't get scared and intimidated and did not believe in ghosts. But whilst they were there they heard all sorts of things, tapping on the floor as if with a cane, the doorknocker (no-one there), footsteps (no-one again) a party in another room (again no-one there), snoring, door latches lifting.

But it was on their last day that really got me. They slept in a twin bedded room, this room felt like it had someone in it, but they proceeded nevertheless. Snoring started as the room was dark & they were dropping off. 'I wish you'd shut up, I can't get to sleep.' called my mother to my sister. 'I've been lying awake listening to that,' said my aunt.
'Whoever you are,' called mum, 'stop that and we'll go tomorrow and never come back again.'

And it stopped. So ghosts can control themselves too. They just felt the spiritual occupant wanted to be alone, they didn't feel threatened. I've had other experiences like mum's since, but none so clear as that.

I do have a strong faith but use that mostly for guidance in this world, but I know there is something else, I just don't know what.

Google Margells, Branscombe & you'll see more.

annsixty Fri 16-Oct-15 09:29:57

As a most down to earth person with no fanciful feelings or thoughts I had an experience which certainly made me question things.When my mother died 9 years ago I brought some of her things back here.There were a lot of decent clothes which I knew I should take to a charity shop but something always held me back.When DH said for the umpthteen time when are you going to do something with these clothes in the spare room and I was hesitating yet again I was suddenly surrounded by the particular "smell "of my mothers care home room.It was talc and lavendar spray and yes,a whiff of "old lady",and I felt she was giving me permission to let them go. Of course thinking about her at that moment may have triggered the memory but it was very strong and powerful and I still believe she was there.

Falconbird Fri 16-Oct-15 09:33:03

When I was 11 I nearly died from Meningitis. I was in a coma and remember travelling down a long tunnel towards a light. It was extremely noisy in the tunnel and felt like being in an underground train hurtling towards a destination.

I had no idea at that time what an underground train was. I remember being brought back and feeling reluctant to return. I only remember being very keen to reach the light......

I hope there is an afterlife because I would love to meet my OH again and lots of other people too.

Yogadatti Fri 16-Oct-15 09:39:42

Anyone who has had any experiences please PM me if you want ...i am having a problem with worries and fears at the moment and would find it such a comfort if I could believe there was something more to life.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Oct-15 09:47:56

I'm awfully sorry. I don't want to distrupt the thread. Really I don't. But, quoting Alea,

"I don't expect you will respond as it seems some people, in your words, tend to "jump in too quickly"."

Alea, it was your obvious attempt to belittle the OP over the use of the word "sequestering", when, if you had given it a bit of thought, you would have realised it was obviously a (damned) technological fault.

Back to the thread, please.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Oct-15 09:50:00

I wonder if we could keep this thread going until the 3lst? smile

My family had the oft repeated experience of a picture of a son falling off the wall the moment, it later turned out, he died in the war.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-15 10:17:14

I am not fascinated by it , i do believe there is one

LuckyDucky Fri 16-Oct-15 10:47:21

Spirituality

I lost my mother to cancer when she was 66. Eight months after her funeral, I was ironing our sons' clothes, when I became aware the hairs on the nape of my neck were standing up. Something made me look over my shoulder. There she was, standing in a corner of the room, looking happy and healthy, smiling serenely at me. I excitedly called to my husband then turned back and found her - gone.

I wasn't on any medication nor was I hitting the bottle.

Luckygirl Fri 16-Oct-15 11:01:30

There is no doubt in my mind that people do "see" or "sense" the presence of those who have died - it does not mean that they are really there. The brain becomes so used to that person being around that there are times when it still "sees" that person. I liken it to looking at the sun for too long and then looking away only to still see the sun in your eye. It is not the sun you are looking at, but a harmless aberration generated from the brain.

People also interpret unremarkable things as being important when they happen to coincide with another occurrence - e.g. a death. It is part of human beings' tendency to try and seek patterns in their surroundings, even where there are none.

I once dreamed that a friend of mine had been killed. It turned out that he had been. I do not read anything into that at all. Just a bit of a coincidence.

pamne Fri 16-Oct-15 11:20:12

Yes

mollie Fri 16-Oct-15 11:40:01

Until recently I had no interest/fascination/belief in an afterlife at all. Can't pinpoint a change, maybe just the ticking off of more years, but recently I have become open to the possibility that this isn't all there is... perhaps it is a way of hedging my bets and hoping what comes after (if anything does) will be better but what's wrong with a little bit of hope?

wotanuisanceABC123 Fri 16-Oct-15 11:48:08

Thanks, Grannyknot for your support! I was a bit taken aback by the anger, but never mind.

M

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Oct-15 11:51:47

Ah-hum! (coughs)

hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Oct-15 11:53:22

#invisibleme

#again

Alea Fri 16-Oct-15 11:58:42

angry??confused

Anya Fri 16-Oct-15 12:01:28

At least you were there 'in spirit' jingl wink

Ana Fri 16-Oct-15 12:03:44

And very supportive of the OP, too!

mumofmadboys Fri 16-Oct-15 12:03:50

I am a Christian and believe strongly in an afterlife. Are there other Christians out there?

Anya Fri 16-Oct-15 12:08:37

Other religions are available smile

mumofmadboys Fri 16-Oct-15 12:16:59

Of course. I wasn't intending to suggest otherwise.??

mumofmadboys Fri 16-Oct-15 12:17:58

Sorry I ended that post with a smiley face and 2 ? Appeared from nowhere!!!

Anya Fri 16-Oct-15 12:20:25

smile