Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

There is definitely no loving God. Fact.

(613 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Oct-15 09:46:47

Early this morning, on the World Service, I heard the voice of a six year old boy crying out to the doctors treating him, "Don't let me die! Don't bury me!". The doctors, trying to reassure him, laughed and said, "You're not going to die".

It was in the Yemen. The little boy had just seen a three year old, put into the ground. He was wounded himself shortly afterwards.

He died. The doctors were unable to save him.

If you have heard that young voice on a video on the internet, you will agree with me.

Lyndiloo Sun 05-May-19 02:11:53

This is the age-old question of: if God exists he must be all-powerful, and all-loving. (We would all like to think that.)

I have a quote in mind (don't know who wrote it, but it works in all sorts of ways).

"To find the truth, seek out all evidence to the contrary."

And if you apply that logic, 'God' doesn't come out too well!

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-May-19 03:47:27

I long ago learned to be ambivalent.

Religions have given us ridiculous concepts about God and we have foolishly believed them (or been afraid to contradict).

Even if we faithfully believe the words of Jesus, none of what He said was written down at the time and we all know how things are 'embroidered' as they are passed down.

It's utterly foolish to blame God for the things evil and greedy men do.

If we truly and genuinely expect a loving God to stop wars, pain, suffering, why don't WE act in His place and do it?

I have seen miracles. In just one case, a child with 2 brain tumours and in her last days at Starship Hospital here, was healed by a man about whom I was writing a book. He had hundreds of testimonials of healing.

But even then, I was asking 'why this child?' Did I really believe God had decided to cure this one little girl and ignore all the others in the Oncology ward?

It's because we cannot answer such questions we feel helpless and bitterly blame a God we don't really believe in.

But if God (or the concept of God) has brought comfort and healing to people, then that can only be a good thing.

If God has generated a sense of dedication and purpose (as with Mother Teresa and many others), then that is His worth and His work, in this world.

Lyndiloo Sun 05-May-19 15:32:23

BradfordLass Did you get your book published? I'd be very interested in reading it.

BradfordLass72 Mon 06-May-19 04:20:28

Lyndiloo I am a published author but not in this case.

He decided to self-publish and it cost him far, far more than I was charging, which was only my petrol expenses, not my time, because I believed in his story and wanted to help get it out there.

It was some years ago but I found this link:

www.worldcat.org/title/healing-from-love-healing-through-love-kindness-and-respect-for-all-living-things/oclc/154308922

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 18:08:29

We are all a fallen human race since Adam chose to disobey God, therefore suffering, murders, hunger, abuse etc etc are here. GOD has not caused these things HUMANS chose to disconnect from him, suffering is the consequence we live with..All children under the age of accountability are destined for HEAVEN.

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 18:10:06

AMEN?

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 09:56:15

* morethan2 * I know it was February when you posted on this thread, and I don't know if you still read GN. But I have only just seen your post, and I want to send love to you and yours. xxx

jings

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 09:57:41

I hope this thread can lie quietly now.

Smileless2012 Sat 18-May-19 22:32:13

Why Gonegirl? Why do you "hope this thread can lie quietly now"?

Alexa Tue 15-Oct-19 00:23:19

St Teresa of Avila explained :

"Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes with which Christ looks out his compassion to the world. Yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which he is to bless us now."

endlessstrife Tue 26-Nov-19 10:04:43

God never promised perfection in this life, just the next. He’s told us what to do if we want to be saved, to believe in Jesus and to want to follow Him. We have the choice, free will. If God kept interfering with this life, we would never know Him, and that’s not why He created us. He wanted to have children that know and love Him, much the same as we do with our children.

Oldandverygrey Tue 26-Nov-19 10:31:24

Amen to your comment endlesstrife