Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Billy Graham

(34 Posts)
Synonymous Sun 25-Feb-18 12:44:18

Well done good and faithful servant! Matthew 25:23 flowers

vampirequeen Mon 26-Feb-18 22:26:53

If he followed the teachings of Christ how could he consider the use of nuclear weapons against the North Vietnamese to be appropriate or be anti-Semitic (odd when you consider that Christ was Jewish).

mumofmadboys Mon 26-Feb-18 18:04:39

Good post Synonymous

Anniebach Mon 26-Feb-18 15:15:01

Synonymous x

Synonymous Mon 26-Feb-18 15:01:42

The reputation and legacy of Rev Dr Billy Graham stands and speaks for itself. He was always paid the standard basic Minister's salary. He did not profit in any other way from the work he did for the Foundation which he founded and all moneys have been accounted for in that respect and are available for inspection. He was a very erudite and well educated man who had a real gift of communication. He understood the scriptures so well that he was able to help others to better understand. Over a great many years he wrote an amazing number of books which sold by the millions and contributed to many publications Through all that work over those years he earned royalties on books and payment for articles. He could have done even more if he had chosen to and was offered a great deal of money which he turned down. When you consider just how very wealthy some present day authors have become who have not lived as long or written so much it is hardly surprising that he too was a multi millionaire. The thing that surprises me is how little in monetary terms he was left with at the end of his days as it is not easy to give money away responsibly. I was reading a biography of R.G. LeTourneau, the rich American Christian Industrialist, who said that he had been totally focussed on giving away his money "but the Lord has a bigger shovel" and that is what happens when His people do His will. (Look him up.) There truly is nothing inherently wrong in having money.
Mrs Ruth Graham was a prolific author in her own right and very much involved in the work with her husband to the degree that they were jointly awarded the American Congressional Gold Medal in recognition of their work. When they retired they returned to the little community of Montreat where they continued to live in a simple way.

Billy Graham was called of God to preach the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and Billy served Him all his days living in the truth of His Word. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Heb 13:8 and He does not change according to Society's views or political correctness of any given time. Eph 4:11-16 please read. God's Word is challenging because it is about sin and there would be no need to call for social justice if we lived in a truly Christian world because the Christian is taught to understand that. Billy Graham challenged people when he preached the Word and will continue to do so through the work he leaves behind him. God does not call everyone but those who search for Him will find Him.

Bridgeit Mon 26-Feb-18 14:40:45

I also attended one of his rallies (at the age of 14) even at that age I was averse to the mass euphoric hysteria he encouraged & brought out in the audience. Definitely had a cult feel to it .

Anniebach Mon 26-Feb-18 12:25:06

I agree .Nonnie, what hasn't been said is he bailed Dr King out of jail, Dr King joined him to preach at a crusade, in the fifties he tore down segregation ropes rigged up at a crusade .

He turned down a million pound contract with a tv company to continue with his crusades . He refused to visit apartheid S.A. He corresponded with Mandela whilst he was in prison.
I think the following words sums up his faith -

There is no scriptural basis for segregation, to the KKK and
To a white audiance -

We have been proud and thought we were better than any other race , any other people, we are going to stumble into hell because of our pride

there have been satanic messages sprayed on a church wall in America.

Luckygirl Mon 26-Feb-18 12:06:09

Scary indeed vampire - I have seen films of these rallies and they give me the creeps.

vampirequeen Mon 26-Feb-18 11:57:02

He wanted Nixon to nuke North Vietnam.

I went to one of his rallies. I was horrified. It reminded me of the Nazi Nuremburg rallies. Everything was stage managed to heighten emotion and sense of oneness with the group. It was scary to see normally sane people giving their will over to 'the message'. They weren't being evangelised. They were being brainwashed.

Nonnie Mon 26-Feb-18 11:45:12

A lot of what has been said above is news to me. I think many people became Christians as a result of his teaching about kindness and charity. Not sure so many joined right wing or homophobic groups as a result of his teaching.

Do all threads have to be critical? Can we not look for the good in people whose intentions were honourable and based upon the era in which they were brought up?

grannyactivist Mon 26-Feb-18 01:30:34

He was born a hundred years ago and his thoughts and views were shaped by the era and culture into which he was born. I have met many, many people who came to faith at one of his rallies and whose social action has had tremendous impact.

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:53:14

We often have RIP threads on GN and I’ve never seen them on this board before

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:51:27

So this board is just to say good things about dead people even if some of us think he wasn’t all that good? Well that’s not going to happen.

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:14

Sorry BlueBell but a seperated thread could have been started to criticise the man. This thread was started by a poster who chose to pay respects in Religion/Spirituality section

BlueBelle Sun 25-Feb-18 22:25:11

If it was his personal views I would have no problem with him Anniebach nor judge him at all. but it’s his views that have been preached to millions that are worrying All the little kids getting their Samaritans purse Boxes which people make up not realising they have religious texts and scrips added and promises of hell fire and damnation if they don’t go to church etc I m afraid the Evangalists only see their view as right and everyone else as wrong and damned, if they think differently

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 22:18:19

I prefer to respect the fact this thread was started by a poster
Who wished to pay respects

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 21:50:18

Well I’m quite happy to judge him given his record and beliefs. Not on my list of people to be admired to say the least.

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 21:05:43

It was his life, his personal faith,I am in no position to judge his faith . I am not comfortable with Evangelicals but accept they may not be comfortable with me.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Feb-18 20:47:13

unusual to not open your mind within that long life and unusual to not accept God makes all people whichever way and certainly not usual to try and use conversion therapy on gays and to preach that Aids was probably punishment by God He also said men shouldn’t be alone in the company of or eat with women other than their wives to avoid temptations

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 20:36:02

He thought you’d end segregation by changing people’s hearts and not legislation - wrong again

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 20:33:56

He thought it could be cured. He was wrong

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 20:25:18

Not at all unusual for those born 1919 to grow up with views that homosexuality is wrong.

Granny23 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:46:56

My DM and DF went with a group from the church to see/hear him at a giant rally in Glasgow. My DM returned 'evangelised' and immediately joined a bible study and prayer group. The group used to meet in our livingroom on Tuesday nights, while we were confined to upstairs and not allowed to pass through to the kitchen to get a cup of tea. As teenagers, especially if we had any friends round, it was excruciatingly embarrassing to hear DM and her friends, leading prayers in a 'put on', slightly American, 'Holy' voice.

DF was not impressed and summed the great man up thus: 'He couldn't sell pan sets at the Barras'

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:31:01

But where did he lead them?

maryeliza54 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:30:24

Yes he did desegregate his congregations eventually but then did not support the Civil Rights Movement as being so anti-statist he didn’t think it was up to the state to take action but for our ‘hearts to change’ yes KKK he was looking at you.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Feb-18 19:05:00

He believed ‘gayness’ could be reversed with therapy ??
His wife had to give up Her ministry to follow him and his daughters were not allowed to go to further education as he believed women should be home makers ??
He was far too involved with politics in my opinion ??
He did believe in integration in his country so he gets a star for that?? but spoke badly about Jews, so star gone ??

Anyway he was a leader to many so rest in peace old man