Words From The Cross

(150 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 24-Mar-18 08:37:07

1st Word

"FATHER FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO"

Anniebach Sun 25-Mar-18 14:15:14

True lemon, it came to the thief on the cross as he was dying

Crafting Sun 25-Mar-18 14:21:05

Never too late to seek forgiveness and repent. Hope is there for us all. Thank you Annie

tessagee Sun 25-Mar-18 17:43:51

Thank you for your words Annie.

nanaK54 Sun 25-Mar-18 18:32:51

Thank you Annie

Bathsheba Sun 25-Mar-18 23:03:30

It is all too easy to falter from belief and begin to question. But I find I always return to prayer - not just for help, but for thanks as well. So in the end I know that deep down I really do believe we will all be with the Lord in paradise.
Thank you Annie for this lovely thread.

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 08:37:55

Thank you all for joining me X

3rd Word

"Woman behold your Son, Son behold your .Mother"

Teetime Mon 26-Mar-18 08:44:39

Wonderful thank you. flowers

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 09:05:10

His mother would be taken care of by John . This does suggest Jesus was her only child, if she had more children they would take care of her.

what suffering for Mary, seeing her son whipped, nails driven into his body, him hanging from the Cross , no mother can read these words and not ache for her.

Did she recall the day of the presentation of her son in the Temple, Simeon's words to her " A Sword Will Pierce Your Soul"

When i think on these words I think of mothers who sit by the bedside of their dying child, mothers in war torn countries, mothers who watch their child suffering in any way.

lemongrove Mon 26-Mar-18 09:08:49

That scenario is heartbreaking isn’t it?
Mary had to accept the path that her son had taken and what it led to, and Jesus had to accept the pain that he had brought his Mother by following that path.They had to understand each other.

annsixty Mon 26-Mar-18 09:41:58

Thank you again Annie mothers will always suffer when their children, of whatever age, suffer, physically or mentally.
May they get some help from all these sayings.

JoyBloggs Mon 26-Mar-18 10:19:38

I would just like to echo annsixty's words from yesterday... and say thank you Anniebach for keeping our minds on the true meaning of Easter instead of chocolate and 100 different ways to cook lamb.

Synonymous Mon 26-Mar-18 10:38:20

What a lovely thread, thank you Annie. flowers

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 10:44:14

It is I who thank you all for joining me x

Bathsheba Mon 26-Mar-18 10:44:14

Unbearable for any mother to witness her child in such torment. From the moment of his conception, Mary knew her child would be born to greatness, but she couldn't have known what suffering he would endure in the name of love, his love for his fellow man. How they must have both suffered, mother and son, to see the other in such pain.

Crafting Mon 26-Mar-18 10:54:11

There are references in the Bible to Jesus' brothers but perhaps Jesus was asking John to take extra care of his mother following his death and resurrection. I agree it must have been the hardest thing for Mary to stay and watch her son suffer. Very little mention is made of Mary in the Bible after the birth of Jesus and the wedding in Canaan. I often wonder how many times she thought of the miracle of Jesus' birth and what was going to happen in his life.

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 11:54:36

Possibly Crafting, but I have heard theologians say the term Brother would be used as it is in religious groups or political groups. As a widow then ,we assume Mary was a widow, with no children meant destitution, it would have been normal , as it was in this country , for sibings to care for the mother, Jesus tells Mary that John is now her son , if she was his birth mother should wouldn't need to be told ?

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Mar-18 12:21:02

The suffering and pain of a child is the hardest thing a mother has to endure.

How many times have we ourselves said that we would gladly swap with our child.
If only....

Mary must have felt so much untold anguish, fear and pain for her son.
Unbearable.

JoyBloggs Mon 26-Mar-18 14:43:25

The saying "A mother is only as happy as her unhappiest child" is so true, regardless of how many children a mother has and it was certainly true for me. The worst time of my life was seeing one of my adult DCs endure the most terrible sadness and knowing there was nothing, absolutely nothing I could do to help except just to be there and listen. You just want to kiss your child better like you did when they were little, but you can't...

tessagee Mon 26-Mar-18 19:15:32

Amen Annie. I sometimes think that mothers' hearts are . to be broken. Thank you again.

Marydoll Mon 26-Mar-18 19:48:42

JoyBloggs I so agree with your thoughts.

Crafting Mon 26-Mar-18 21:50:34

I didn't realise that annie. I had thought they meant real brothers and sisters. Either way I am glad Mary had someone to take care of her. joybloggs what you say is so true.

Crafting Mon 26-Mar-18 21:53:08

I enjoy your religious posts annie. There is a lot I don't know and it is good to have some reminders of the true meaning of Easter

fourormore Mon 26-Mar-18 21:57:00

Thanks from me too Annie flowers

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 22:02:44

Crafting, in Matthew 12, Jesus said "whoever does the will of my father in heaven is my brother and my sister. This may explain why brother was used so much ? just a thought, and thank you ?

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 22:06:10

Really, it is I who thank you all, sharing .Holy Week is something I have done from childhood and you have been kind in sharing it with me X