Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Words From The Cross

(150 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 24-Mar-18 08:37:07

1st Word

"FATHER FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO"

Synonymous Mon 02-Apr-18 13:40:45

Had a wry smile at your last post Annie because the Lord will deal with each situation and usually puts us in a place where we eventually have to look at things as God sees it however difficult that may be. We are all sinners without exception and the onus is on each one of us to approach God and communion as repentant sinners in accordance with 1 Cor11:29. We have an amazing God who intimately knows each and every one of us. That capacity astounds me as I have enough trouble trying to work things out in my own small family so thank goodness we can just hand everything over to Him ultimately! smile

We have to drive at least 17 miles to our church so I understand where you are coming from Teetime in going further from home to somewhere that you feel more comfortable since it is 'family' in the end. In our case we have gone to a church where the Word is preached straight down the line in accordance with the scriptures and not man's tweaking of it to make everybody comfortable on this side of eternity. Our eyes are fixed beyond this life so will do whatever it takes. It is a strange thing how you just cannot sit under the preaching when you know in your heart that it is not right and those who should know better are wilfully misleading their people for the sake of the pc culture in which we live. sad

Nonnie Mon 02-Apr-18 13:14:37

Teetime there are still some churches which do Matins early in the morning and Evensong both in the more traditional way although I'm not so sure about the music. Perhaps you could contact the Deanery for advice?

I like Hymns A & M but also some of the more modern ones. What I don't like is that so many of them have changed the text to be PC! I can accept that 'man' means human and don't need it changed!

Emma49 Mon 02-Apr-18 11:09:32

A very uplifting thread. Thank you Anniebach

Teetime Mon 02-Apr-18 11:09:11

I think our problem is we love the Bells and Smells kind of church or as my friend who is a Vicar (not locally) says - we are 'higher up the candle'. I am sure people would criticise us for liking the ritual but its there that we both find comfort in the services, the words and music. We keep saying we should go to Leicester to the Cathedral for services so once I get over my op and convalescence tomorrow we will do that. Thank you both for your messages and suggestions.

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 10:40:19

Teetime, yes I can understand your sadness over your local church but take heart , back in the eighties I went into battle in my local church , AIDS had exploded , much fear which was understandable, but asking gays be asked not to take communion? I blew a fuse, even got voted off the PCC ?, admit I was very unchristian when the next priest here was gay, I chuckled .

nothing can change the love of Christ for you , it was his love you felt this week on this thread. X

Nonnie Mon 02-Apr-18 10:39:19

Teetime don't be sad, find another church, there are plenty. Do you feel it must be C of E? Could you try a Baptist, Methodist or some other? When we moved to a new area we tried the local church and it didn't suit us so drove to another one about 3 miles away each week.

Teetime Mon 02-Apr-18 10:06:34

Thank you Anniebach for giving me back some of the real Easter. What has become of the Church of England locally is a great sadness to me and is a great hole in my life.

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 09:17:30

This thread was a great comfort to me and it was joyful too

annsixty Mon 02-Apr-18 08:08:40

Just the fact that people are thinking about us all and have us in their prayers is so uplifting.
Thank you all.

Tea and cake Mon 02-Apr-18 08:01:45

This thread has brought tears to my eyes x

mumofmadboys Mon 02-Apr-18 07:41:54

Thank you Synonymous

Synonymous Sun 01-Apr-18 23:57:22

Annie thank you so much for a beautiful thread, it has brought much joy to many. I hope you had a lovely day even if confined to the house. flowers

We actually made it to church for the second Sunday in a row as we were both feeling pretty good - the sunshine helped. We had a beautiful service in a packed church culminating in communion which was very special. Was thinking of all on here and lifted you all before the Lord, blessings everyone. X

Synonymous Sun 01-Apr-18 23:50:15

granniequeenie that is really lovely. smile

Nonnie flowers

Anniebach Sun 01-Apr-18 18:08:57

How beautiful, thank you so much grannyqueenie x

grannyqueenie Sun 01-Apr-18 17:41:41

This cross was made from our church Christmas tree. It was stark, bare and very wonky looking at the start of the service, but then gradually it changed as one by one we went forward to cover it with flowers. What a powerful picture of the transformation of broken and hurting souls, the heart of the Easter message.

Nonnie Sun 01-Apr-18 16:23:18

Thanks Annie & Cherry. We do love them but it is heartbreaking not to be allowed to see them and show them how much we love them. There is no good reason for it, jut that their mother doesn't want it. They do, they have asked to come and stay with us. Maybe that is why she has banned all contact?

Cherrytree59 Sun 01-Apr-18 16:11:34

Nonnie A Mothers pain is like no other.

You do love your grandchildren and one day they will be old enough to make their own choices. flowers

Anniebach Sun 01-Apr-18 14:29:18

You can love them Nonnie ?

Nonnie Sun 01-Apr-18 12:15:45

Thanks Annie. My heart is breaking today for the loss of not only my son but his children too. I would give the world to be allowed to love them as he did.

lemongrove Sun 01-Apr-18 11:02:22

Happy Easter Morning to all, hope that you will all have a good and peaceful day, whatever is going on in your lives.?

Teetime Sun 01-Apr-18 10:25:41

Happy Easter everyone. How lovely to hear my favourite hymn on Classic FM this morning 'Jesus Christ is risen today- Alleluia'. Wonderful. smile

MiceElf Sun 01-Apr-18 10:21:12

Listen to this, this Easter morning.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEAsiDjFP4

Anniebach Sun 01-Apr-18 10:13:09

Nonnie, just remember - underneath are the ever open arms

Nonnie Sun 01-Apr-18 09:54:41

I have been aware of this thread from the beginning but couldn't read it until today because I knew how painful I would find it. I'm glad that I have now managed it and hope it will give me strength to get through the Easter service this morning. I find all the memories in church just so hard to bear.

Thank you all.

Nonnie Sun 01-Apr-18 09:43:19

Happy Easter to you all. I pray that this will be the start of a better year for those of us suffering loss and that we will find a way to cope and recognise that our loved ones are in a better place.