Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Could some one explain

(45 Posts)
Mabel2 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:03:02

The difference between a christening and a baptism? Or are they the same thing?

Willynilly Sun 25-Nov-18 15:50:13

I was brought up a Baptist and as children we were 'dedicated' into the church, not christened. The congregation vowing to bring us up in the ways of the faith, therefore no godparents. When old enough to decide, we would undergo religious instruction and then be baptised (normally full immersion) into the church.

Izabella Sun 25-Nov-18 16:42:56

Well Willynilly thats a lot more sensible than imposing a christening on an infant too young to give any form of consent. Good to hear.

Fennel Sun 25-Nov-18 17:26:34

I grew up as C of E (and was probably christened there) but started questioning in my early 20s. I tried various versions of Christianity, then had a boyfriend who was a Baptist. He showed me what I would have to do to join. That did put me off for some reason.
Eventually settled for Judaism, which is difficult, but suits my personality. Come to think of it, we also have a tradition of submerging in a mikvah in various circumstances.

Anniebach Sun 25-Nov-18 17:35:53

Consent comes when a person chooses to be confirmed

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 08:26:19

They are actually not the same although used that way. Christening is the naming only. Baptism is bringing the child into the Christian church. Really the child should just be dedicated. Adult baptism makes more sense. I was baptised at age 38 total immersion- when I decided to follow Christ. I believe thats how it should be. (although I am no longer a practising Christian.)

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 09:17:02

Still freedom of choice, a baptised baby will have the same freedom of choice as you annep

My three grandchildren were baptised when babies, now one is an atheist, one a Christian, one very drawn to Buddhism

SparklyGrandma Thu 20-Dec-18 03:26:40

Anniebach in the Roman Catholic Church, it’s a baptism.

notanan2 Thu 20-Dec-18 04:40:41

Christening = naming/welcoming ceremony/celebration
Baptism = entering the faith.

You can have a Christening with or without the Baptism element

notanan2 Thu 20-Dec-18 04:42:27

Anniebach in the Roman Catholic Church, it’s a baptism.

RCs have Christenings within which there is a baptism. The Baptism is the sacrament itself, the rest of the celebration is a Christening.

notanan2 Thu 20-Dec-18 04:44:39

In RC Baptism it is the adults committing to raise the child in the faith, the child still gets to commit themselves later on at their confirmation

TwiceAsNice Thu 20-Dec-18 08:10:08

Children are christened into the Anglican faith. If they want to commit themselves to believe in God and follow a Christian life when they are old enough to understand the commitment they are making they are confirmed into the church. Only then can they receive the Eucharist ( the body and blood of Christ) . Before confirmation as an adult or child if you go up to the altar at communion time you receive a blessing but no sacrament

notanan2 Thu 20-Dec-18 08:30:20

"Christened" also means "named"
An athiest can be christened or have a christening. Its not a sacrament in itself

Anniebach Thu 20-Dec-18 08:48:40

The order of service in The Book of Common Prayer

Baptism of infants.

I baptised thee in the name of the Father

Cabbie21 Sat 22-Dec-18 08:56:06

To be absolutely correct, Baptism is “ in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit “ , the Trinity. Water is involved, whether by sprinkling or immersion.
Baptism is the correct term, but christening is often used for infants, interchangeably, though not normally for adults.

Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 08:58:41

Yes I know the words of the order of baptist service, two daughters and seven God children.

grannyactivist Sat 22-Dec-18 11:29:59

My children were 'dedicated' as babies and when/if they were of an age and disposition to make up their own minds were baptised by full immersion. I was privileged to baptise one of my daughters myself.

My son-in-law is in his thirties and was baptised by full immersion five or six weeks ago. He had been christened/baptised a Roman Catholic as a baby and I'm sure he was pleased that his mum took the trouble to try to understand why he wanted to be baptised as an adult. She found the service (and others she has attended in the same church) to be quite challenging and she and her husband now seem to be re-considering their own faith.

Cabbie21 Sat 22-Dec-18 12:13:50

I was brought up in a Baptist church, but I was not dedicated as a baby, though my sister was. I did not opt to be baptised as a teenager, and later I became an Anglican. In due course I was baptised and confirmed in the same service by the bishop.

zazarickoty Sun 13-Jan-19 20:16:39

We were baptised in the Catholic Church,the same words are used Annie and are used in every baptism,but we also said the weans christening is on Sunday so both words used for the same event .

endlessstrife Tue 26-Nov-19 16:53:18

We had all our children christened before we became born again ourselves. We believed there was a God, but didn’t know we could ha e a relationship with Him now, in this life. We just thought we’d meet Him, hopefully, when we died. The children were named in this ceremony. The vicar didn’t care whether we were Christians or not. Once we were Christians, we realised children cannot decide for themselves. We saw other children dedication, and now more recently, our own grandchildren. This shows the children will be brought up in a Christian environment, and they can make their own choices when old enough, the baptism.