Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Could some one explain

(44 Posts)
Mabel2 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:03:02

The difference between a christening and a baptism? Or are they the same thing?

silverlining48 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:06:28

Would think the same thing.

Anniebach Tue 06-Nov-18 15:07:31

In the Anglican Church the same thing. When I use to attend the baptist church adults were baptised , not sure about the RC church

BBbevan Tue 06-Nov-18 15:57:12

Same outcome I think, entry into the Christian church. Baptism was full immersion, usually an older person. Christening was the sign of the Cross on ,usually a baby's head. Followed by Confirmation when older Please correct me if wrong

Nannarose Tue 06-Nov-18 15:58:28

They are often used to mean the same thing, especially in the C of E.
Strictly though, the christening service is for a child, when their parents and godparents undertake to bring them up as Christians, it includes baptism into the church. Adults make their own promises when they are baptised. That is: all those who belong to Baptist churches, and anyone in the C of E who presents themselves as an adult to be baptised in to the church.
I don't know about other churches' terminology.

Anniebach Tue 06-Nov-18 16:11:03

My daughters were baptised when babies, the words spoken are ‘i baptise thee ‘ , but this is just my choice

paddyann Tue 06-Nov-18 16:13:50

We were baptised in the Catholic Church,the same words are used Annie and are used in every baptism,but we also said the weans christening is on Sunday so both words used for the same event .

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 16:26:59

I believe that it the same. It is a person's (baby's) formal entry to a Christian church. In RC & Anglican it is then followed by confirmation when said person/ child confirms the promises made on their behalf by godparents. In some non conformist churches the do not have baptism until a person is old enough to make the commitment themselves. Babies often have a blessing and welcome ceremony. Humanist ceremonies for babies are common too and ask family and friends to support the child to grow up as an honest and socially contributing citizen.

Anniebach Tue 06-Nov-18 16:41:18

Yes Paddyann. I have said they are the same, I then said Baptism is my choice .

MawBroon Tue 06-Nov-18 17:06:45

Same thing

mumofmadboys Tue 06-Nov-18 17:07:50

I think baptism is the more correct term. They are however used interchangably.

MiniMoon Tue 06-Nov-18 17:20:36

Here's the baptism/christening difference,

Difference between baptism and christening
Even though the words baptism and christening are used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference. Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church.

Hope this clears it up.

Izabella Tue 06-Nov-18 17:31:39

I often wonder why so many people still do this (ducks behind the wall.)

M0nica Tue 06-Nov-18 17:35:33

Since in the catholic church the baby is named in the baptism service, it is the same thing.

Speaking as a catholic, the church has been renaming the sacraments at regular intervals since the great Vatican Council of about 1960. Sacraments like Communion and Confession are now called Eucharist and Reconciliation. Same thing, different name.

Not being a theologian I have no idea why there is this constant need to change the names of the sacraments. It is the religious equivalent of political correctness in language.

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Nov-18 18:17:18

^ where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church.^
The Church of England also uses the words 'I baptise thee …..' as Anniebach says.

Christening definition: A Christian ceremony at which a baby is christened; a baptism.

I have heard the term 'christening' used more often for a C of E ceremony and 'baptism' for RC ceremonies.

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 18:29:55

M0nica I think probably to to with theological accuracy and language than "political correctness" which is used as a derogatory term often for changes people don't particularly like!

Fennel Tue 06-Nov-18 20:39:35

It's an interesting question.
As far as I can find out christening is related to the name of Christ. Bringing the baby (or adult) into the Christian church.
Baptism is from a greek word meaning dipping in water.

M0nica Tue 06-Nov-18 21:45:04

I was thinking political on the sense that we do not say cripple anymore, it is perceived as derogatory, but now say disabled, like wise do not say mentally deficient, now say learning disabled.

Anniebach Tue 06-Nov-18 22:18:21

John the Baptist baptised Christ

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Nov-18 22:33:57

I was brought up in the Baptist church, but chickened out of the complete submersion at age fourteen as I was afraid I’d giggle. It was referred to as baptism. So, seven years later, my in-laws to be wanted us to marry in a Church of England church and the vicar wanted me to be confirmed (never could understand why, I think he wanted to get his numbers up), and then christened! Just the two of us went to keep him happy. My Godparents are my husband and the lady who was there doing the flowers. I never did find out her name!

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Nov-18 22:34:55

Oops, that was the other way around. Christened first and then confirmed. It was 50 years ago.

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 22:37:56

M0nica is it political or just something the people concerned preferred? Less derogatory, more positive perhaps?

M0nica Wed 07-Nov-18 14:40:14

PECS No idea. I am sure there is some long tedious theological explanation. But most of us stick to the words we are familiar with and ignore the changes.

Anniebach Wed 07-Nov-18 15:11:55

The Book of Common Prayer lists

Public Baptism of Infants

Private Baptism of Infants in houses

Baptism of those of Older Years

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Nov-18 15:26:46

I think Monica that the re-naming of sacraments is an attempt to make them more readily comprehensible to people,

In my candid opinion as a historian of religion, it is a completely wasted effort. After all, in the religious sense, sacraments are paradoxes that cannot be fully understood. On the ordinary everyday level, few, if any of the words used to designate sacraments are readily understandable. After all whether you call it communion or Eucharist makes not one little bit of difference unless the person you are speaking to knows what goes on there.