Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Cliff Richard for example

(96 Posts)
annep Sun 02-Dec-18 08:46:30

Just reading an article on how Cliff Richard has spoken about the profound effect Christianity has had on his life. What I don't understand is how he thinks its ok to charge so much for his concerts when he has more than enough money. Many of his fans can't afford to go. It doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 08:51:10

Does he not have a charitable trust ? If he shares his wealth is this so wrong?

JackyB Sun 02-Dec-18 08:59:41

The cost of putting on a concert is huge. There are many people involved, all of whom should morally be paid a humane wage (the hours are probably not very family-friendly, to say the least). I'm not sure that a high percentage actually goes into the "star"s personal pockets.

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 08:59:43

I think so Anniebach. Why would you charge your fans £100 for a ticket when you know many people can't afford it. Giving to charity doesn't justify it. I know we are all materialistic in different ways but to have £millions and still want to make more money by overcharging fans?

janeainsworth Sun 02-Dec-18 09:00:05

What proportion of the ticket sales actually go into Cliff’s own coffers and what proportion into the venue, ticket promotion etc?

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 09:00:56

I suppose it's his management company rather than him who have to consider the enormous expense of hiring venues and all the lighting, sound and other staff? Not to mention travel costs for them all. It's a massive undertaking.
Hard to say how much actual profit he'll personally take and I'm sure he'll be punctilious about paying his taxes.

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 09:04:56

If the tickets are £100 and some can’t afford it does it matter ? A percentage of the £100 goes to charities , this is more than a percentage of £50.

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 09:05:27

I was a devoted fan of Leonard Cohen and paid £100 three times to see him. Then I decided, no more. He was a very spiritual person and I couldnt equate this with the high ticket price for fans whom he claimed to love.

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 09:21:05

His choice to charge £100 your choice to refuse to pay it surely ?

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 09:21:26

I know all the expenses involved but Cliff Richard makes a lot of money as well. He could afford to make less and give back to the fans. Yes it matters Anniebach. He is where he is and has all that he has because of his fans. It is morally wrong to overcharge for anything so that you can have a luxury lifestyle. I expect more from Christians.
Ask yourself would you do it?

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 09:30:43

And yes Anniebach my choice that's why I stopped. I thought about it and decided I didn't agree with him charging so much, and I could do something better with the money.

Granny23 Sun 02-Dec-18 09:32:13

The management company will have done their sums and will know that they can fill the venues at £100 or more per ticket, pay the technicians and musicians and make a small profit.

Cliff, no longer a spring chicken, could easily retire to a Caribbean Island, perhaps releasing a Christmas Album every year but chooses instead to go through the rigours of a tour for the benefit of his loyal fans. It is not as if he is a new artist who needs to go on a tour to build up his fan base.

Personally I wouldn't pay 2p to see the man as I can't stand him but did shell out a considerable sum to see the Everly Brothers on their farewell tour, which was unforgettable, and more recently, Andre Rieu et al, which was my sole Christmas Present from my daughters.

annsixty Sun 02-Dec-18 09:40:01

I had just been composing my post Granny23 when I read yours. I also wouldn't go to see him if all expenses were paid.
He is smug and self satisfied, I heard a radio interview with him many years ago and his derision of anyone else popular in the same era than him was so uncomfortable to listen to.
Not a sign of Christianity in his opinion.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 09:42:15

Yes those ticket prices are pretty standard these days. It's odd chasing continued celebrity though. Him and Rod Stewart and all those older singers. Maybe addicted to performing and all the fame that goes with it? Hard to retire?
I'd pay to see Michael Buble. I bet that would be pricy.

Grannyknot Sun 02-Dec-18 09:43:30

It just makes me laugh when I see ticket prices for "ageing rock stars" - there was an article in the paper the other day that Rod Stewart concert tickets are £175 each. So if nothing else, they're giving me a laugh - for free. grin

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 09:51:48

Grannyknot unbelievable! lol. And do people not know when its time to say goodnight!

Lazigirl Sun 02-Dec-18 09:51:53

I think you should be paid £100 to go and see Cliff Richard. grin

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 09:59:36

annep, why oh why do those who don’t believe in the Christian faith condemn the actions of Christians ?

Would I do it? If it meant choosing between someone who can’t afford a ticket and someone who would benefit from the charities I support , yes I would do it

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 10:09:10

Growing old isn’t a crime, we have politicians older than the singers named in this thread . Richard Attenborough is 90 and still working.

I wouldn’t listen to the aging singers mentioned in this thread Didn’t when they were young singers, I certaintly listen to Willie Nelson and will buy his latest album released this year, he is 83.

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 10:11:35

Anniebach perhaps those who used to be strong in their faith were disillusioned by those who simply talked the talk.

janeainsworth Sun 02-Dec-18 10:12:24

annep I don’t see what Christianity has to do with it. What if Cliff was a professed Muslim or Hindu? Surely you are not saying that those religions don’t have compassion for others?

I do understand that for many people in this country now, they can afford only the essentials of life and when they have paid the rent, the energy bills, put food on the table and clothed their children, there is nothing left. That’s not Cliff’s fault, and apart from paying his taxes and making charitable donations I wouldn’t expect him to do anything else.

The rest of us have disposable income.

We can choose what we spend it on. Some us might spend £100 on a new hairdo, we might have a new dress, we might go out to an expensive restaurant.
Anyone with any disposable income at all, can choose whether or not to spend £100 on a ticket to see Cliff.

I personally wouldn’t, but it’s probably a fair price considering the costs involved and I think you’re being rather unfair to imply that he is exploiting his fans.

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 10:15:30

Anniebach Willie Nelson is good and so are other older singers but some just aren't. Of course it isn't a crime getting older.?

annep Sun 02-Dec-18 10:16:56

Janeainsworth I'm not implying it. He is.

Anniebach Sun 02-Dec-18 10:22:20

annep. I am so sorry for anyone who condemns a faith because the actions of some do not meet with their approval .

How do you know Cliff Richard doesn’t ‘walk the walk’ , so he may have chosen a different road to you to ‘walk’, this doesn’t make him in anyway a hypocrite.

I may have chosen a different road to walk than you once did, doesn’t mean I am wrong or you were wrong.

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 10:25:11

He's no more 'exploiting his fans' than any other entertainer. I'm not interested in him and wouldn't go to his concerts if they were 10p a ticket. janeainsworth is right. It's up to people how they spend their disposable income. If they have one that is!