Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

God doesn't give us more than we can cope with

(84 Posts)
Smileless2012 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:49:51

Or words to that effect but sometimes it feels if He does.

Even when we appear to be dealing with it, coping with it, day after day, year after year it's like an uphill struggle.

Today, for no particular reason I feel so tired, utterly exhausted TBH. I have the faith that God has given me. I have the strength He blessed me with.

My faith in Him and my strength and determination keep me going, have kept me going for nearly 7 years without our son who has estranged himself from us, and taken our only GC with him.

I'm 58. For how many more years will I have to be strong and determined? 10, 20, 30 more!

Merelina Tue 15-Oct-19 00:21:12

Yes indeed Lucky. Kindness is The Thing.

Came across this, recorded by Stevie Smith (she of not waving but it drowning fame) in one of her notebooks writing of God - “Benevolence would, Omnipotence could have found another way” Epicurus. Says it all really.

MawB Tue 15-Oct-19 00:03:55

Nobody want to offend. Some of these Religion/Spirituality threads should come with a warning they are not for discussion but for devotion or fellowship
Well that s rubbish - no one has suggested for a nanosecond that the Religion/Spirituality forum is for some cosy sort of Christian group hug. But discussion is not the same as abuse or sermonising.
If no one wants to offend, they should not use words like “prick” about a religious leader - of whatever religion.

You will know there are grans who are interested in religion as a human creation, and they should have other threads where they wont offend anyone

Again I would say, those who do not wish to offend should not use offensive language.
And don’t tell me “prick” is commonly acceptable usage - would we use it of for instance the Dalai Lama? Doodle was right when she said double standards apply to mainstream religion these days compared with sexual inclination or racial origin.
If a person can be questioned under caution for using the wrong pronoun (he for she or vice versa) of a person in the process of transitioning , is it fair to allow an epithet such as Gnostic took such pleasure in using?

And you still haven’t enlightened us as to the inappropriate nature of the demographic in your advice to Gnostic

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 23:35:23

Doodle:
"If religion was a transgender topic people would not be allowed to say things about God which offends believers. Because we have faith we are supposed to take ppeople saying anything they like about our beliefs."

Nobody want to offend. Some of these Religion/Spirituality threads should come with a warning they are not for discussion but for devotion or fellowship.

You will know there are grans who are interested in religion as a human creation, and they should have other threads where they wont offend anyone.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Oct-19 21:53:01

Well if there is a god doling out stuff, frankly he/she/it has definitely given me more than I can cope with just now! I am not impressed.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 14-Oct-19 20:42:29

I just don't believe in God but if it works for you well thats great, everyone to their own.

If there is a God why is he inflicting so much suffering on the children caught in conflict, Yemen and Syria. The 3 british orphaned childed shown on TV last night broke my heart. The are the innocent ones.

Peonyrose Mon 14-Oct-19 19:55:45

Good manners cost nothing. A little respect for another's beliefs should go without saying, even if they are not your views. It is rude and blasphemous to ridicule anyone's religion and people that do so. I would not engage with them.

Doodle Mon 14-Oct-19 18:44:55

If religion was a transgender topic people would not be allowed to say things about God which offends believers. Because we have faith we are supposed to take ppeople saying anything they like about our beliefs.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 18:40:12

PS it's not I who rules out. Quite the opposite.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 18:39:27

Yes, many people are more of less offended, MawB, about all manner of things, religious myths and doctrines perhaps more than anything else.

grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 17:46:01

If you go to Church, you sometimes find kindly folk. At my Dad's funeral there was a steady stream of them, firm handshakes,no display of emotion.

I miss that, since I have given up on God.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:44:43

So are you ruling yourself out Alexa?
If not, why do you feel qualified to “rule out” other members of GN?
Or are you saying that perhaps only nonagenarians might find Gnostic’s arguments less offensive?
I think many younger members might object to referring to Christ as a pr*ck - don’t you?

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:40:28

PS I am 88.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:39:58

It is indeed ageist what I wrote, MawB, I hope to see many reasoned objections to it.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:22:37

“If not” not “I not”.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:21:45

That’s a very ageist remark Alexa I not downright insulting - what age group do you recommend?
And what age group would you say you belong to?

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:16:44

Gnostic, perhaps your reasoning would be more acceptable to a younger demographic than gransnet.

Gnostic Mon 07-Oct-19 17:05:56

You should consider the millions of children that die yearly of starvation and other preventable causes.

To say god gave them death, as a coping method is close to blasphemy.

Regards
L

Fennel Sun 15-Sep-19 18:38:56

There's also this view - very sentimental but I think/hope there's some truth in it:
www.praywithme.com/footprints-prayer.html
We've all had our family sadnesses.

Smileless2012 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:07:10

Me too Doodlesmile.

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:04:49

That is good to hear Doodle. I am very pleased for you. smile

Doodle Sun 15-Sep-19 13:59:29

Thank you day6 and smileless DH is fine.

grannylyn65 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:28:50

A really annoying and untrue saying. My friend killed himself

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:19:51

Merlot and Doodle worrying times for you. Sorry to hear you have yet more stress to contend with. Times of trial, indeed. Wishing you both strength and hopefully peace of mind soon. flowers flowers

Oopsminty Sun 15-Sep-19 08:39:00

Sympathy to all those going through trauma.

My adored Grandma was a staunch atheist. Unusual for her time. Born in 1902.

I spent as much time with her as possible all my childhood and I suppose her belief, or lack of, rubbed off on me.

However I know so many people with faith and I admire them. I sometimes wish I could think that way but know I can't.

I'm more of a Stephen Fry

Smileless2012 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:31:29

Best wishes to you and your DH Merlotgranflowers.