Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

God doesn't give us more than we can cope with

(84 Posts)
Smileless2012 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:49:51

Or words to that effect but sometimes it feels if He does.

Even when we appear to be dealing with it, coping with it, day after day, year after year it's like an uphill struggle.

Today, for no particular reason I feel so tired, utterly exhausted TBH. I have the faith that God has given me. I have the strength He blessed me with.

My faith in Him and my strength and determination keep me going, have kept me going for nearly 7 years without our son who has estranged himself from us, and taken our only GC with him.

I'm 58. For how many more years will I have to be strong and determined? 10, 20, 30 more!

Doodle Sat 14-Sep-19 19:36:22

merlot nothing to do with this thread just wanted to tell you that when my DH had his prostate test removed years ago he suddenly started to swell up. I couldn’t believe how huge he became. He could hardly move he was so big. All was well, all the fluid came out and he was back to normal soon. Hope your DH makes a good recovery soon.
God does not create these problems for us but he stands by us and gives us someone to lean on in troubled times.

Doodle Sat 14-Sep-19 19:36:45

Sorry that should be prostate removed not test.

merlotgran Sat 14-Sep-19 19:46:07

I'm sure that test is on the list, Doodle. He's going to be in for a few more days yet.

Good to know they're being thorough even though I wish he were home.

Doodle Sat 14-Sep-19 19:52:25

Sorry merlot I was not suggesting your DH had prostate trouble I was just saying that my DH got full of fluid too (in his case it was following an operation). His undercarriage blush was a thing to behold!

lemongrove Sat 14-Sep-19 19:59:31

merlot am sorry to hear your DH has this health problem, and hope there is a good resolution for him soon.
My DH also refers to his ‘dicky ticker’ ( pacemaker) which always makes us both laugh, the character in ‘Allo ‘Allo used to say it.

merlotgran Sat 14-Sep-19 20:00:02

No probs, Doodle. Years ago a friend of ours died from pancreatic cancer and his symptoms of sudden and alarming fluid retention were uppermost in my mind.

We were reassured today that it's on the list of things they have ruled out.

We've been through this before. The source of an undetected infection last time turned out to be in his colon. All was well after a couple of polyps were removed so hopefully there will be a similar outcome this time.

smile

Auntieflo Sat 14-Sep-19 20:13:25

Merlotgran. so sorry to hear about your DH. Here's hoping that the source of the infection is found and dealt with swiftly.
flowers

Smileless2012 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:30:30

I hope your DH has fully recovered Doodle.

Mr. S. has been having prostate problems for years and has had a catheta since Easter. No trace of anything sinister thank God but they don't seem to know what how best to proceed.

Smileless2012 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:31:29

Best wishes to you and your DH Merlotgranflowers.

Oopsminty Sun 15-Sep-19 08:39:00

Sympathy to all those going through trauma.

My adored Grandma was a staunch atheist. Unusual for her time. Born in 1902.

I spent as much time with her as possible all my childhood and I suppose her belief, or lack of, rubbed off on me.

However I know so many people with faith and I admire them. I sometimes wish I could think that way but know I can't.

I'm more of a Stephen Fry

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:19:51

Merlot and Doodle worrying times for you. Sorry to hear you have yet more stress to contend with. Times of trial, indeed. Wishing you both strength and hopefully peace of mind soon. flowers flowers

grannylyn65 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:28:50

A really annoying and untrue saying. My friend killed himself

Doodle Sun 15-Sep-19 13:59:29

Thank you day6 and smileless DH is fine.

Day6 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:04:49

That is good to hear Doodle. I am very pleased for you. smile

Smileless2012 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:07:10

Me too Doodlesmile.

Fennel Sun 15-Sep-19 18:38:56

There's also this view - very sentimental but I think/hope there's some truth in it:
www.praywithme.com/footprints-prayer.html
We've all had our family sadnesses.

Gnostic Mon 07-Oct-19 17:05:56

You should consider the millions of children that die yearly of starvation and other preventable causes.

To say god gave them death, as a coping method is close to blasphemy.

Regards
L

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:16:44

Gnostic, perhaps your reasoning would be more acceptable to a younger demographic than gransnet.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:21:45

That’s a very ageist remark Alexa I not downright insulting - what age group do you recommend?
And what age group would you say you belong to?

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:22:37

“If not” not “I not”.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:39:58

It is indeed ageist what I wrote, MawB, I hope to see many reasoned objections to it.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 17:40:28

PS I am 88.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 17:44:43

So are you ruling yourself out Alexa?
If not, why do you feel qualified to “rule out” other members of GN?
Or are you saying that perhaps only nonagenarians might find Gnostic’s arguments less offensive?
I think many younger members might object to referring to Christ as a pr*ck - don’t you?

grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 17:46:01

If you go to Church, you sometimes find kindly folk. At my Dad's funeral there was a steady stream of them, firm handshakes,no display of emotion.

I miss that, since I have given up on God.

Alexa Mon 14-Oct-19 18:39:27

Yes, many people are more of less offended, MawB, about all manner of things, religious myths and doctrines perhaps more than anything else.