Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Does God exist? I'd like to be clear in my mind

(285 Posts)
HettyMaud Sun 29-Sep-19 22:39:34

I'm definitely not a Christian though no doubt a man did exist who perhaps was able to do things that could not be well explained. If God exists then what made God? I do feel in complete awe when I look at nature and the more I study it the more amazing it is. How can it all have come about? Yet there is so much suffering in the world. Why? I love going to churches and yet sometimes feel I'm singing and speaking words which I don't really believe and yet I enjoy it and feel close to God. Most people I'm close to are atheists but I'm not sure what I am. I'm so confused.

Anniebach Mon 30-Sep-19 12:08:23

Why is it assumed people only find comfort in faith ?

I find comfort, I find joy. When my elder daughter was born
such joy, when she died yes comfort .

Witzend Mon 30-Sep-19 12:23:48

I'm one of those people who don't believe, but sometimes wish I did. However I don't see that the fact of evolution is at all incompatible with a belief in a God who may have masterminded it all. The sheer, astonishing diversity of life on this planet, and the amazingly intricate workings of so much of the biological world, do occasionally make me wonder.

I have a personal theory that the idea of some powerful, omnipotent being - or beings - originated very early in the history of the first humans - when they tried to explain or understand the appearance of a rainbow.

How else would they have even begun to explain it so many thousands of years ago? Especially maybe after a storm or very heavy rain. Look! The Being was angry - and now he's showing us that he's angry no longer.

paddyann Mon 30-Sep-19 12:32:20

What child makes a "choice" to have cancer or some of the hoorib;e diseasesI saw in the childrens ward a number of years ago? I dont think much of any "god" who punishes innocents .sure Some people make a mess of their lives .many more are a victim of circumstances .I'm afraid your god isn't my kind of being if he thinks this is right or just or fair .

paddyann Mon 30-Sep-19 12:33:43

blzzl thats called being brainwashed ,we've seen it over centuries ..in recent times in cults

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 12:40:24

I don’t envy anyone with a faith - nor do I feel I have to believe in gods to have a better relationship with anyone.

I’m intrigued about the proof that a god exists though. Actual, real, scientific proof?

GuestCorrectly Mon 30-Sep-19 12:40:56

You know that saying: if there wasn’t a god we’d have to invent one. When you see the beauty of nature all around you, it is easy to feel uplifted and for some this involves a spiritual connection. In our 21st century polluted, corrupt environment- not so easy perhaps and of course science has come a long way since our ancestors sat round fires telling stories about the origins of man. For me the laws of physics, mathematics and nature are sufficient for personal fulfilment, meaning and happiness but each to their own.

Hithere Mon 30-Sep-19 12:46:51

Having real proof of God existing would not work.

Other believes such as Loch Ness monster, aliens, aura, etc have photographic proof and still not "proofed" enough.

rosecarmel Mon 30-Sep-19 13:06:22

SirChenJin, I'll see you your self limiting view of seeking proof and raise you a question: What did your face look like before your parents were born? smile

Bridgeit Mon 30-Sep-19 13:06:58

Belief =an acceptance that something exists or is true without
‘Proof’
Christianity= a faith/belief that Jesus did exist without proof

There are many more beliefs & religions , I guess it’s great to find one that suits our own thoughts & feelings
I also guess many of us try to be ‘good’ & helpful ‘ people ( yes even on Gransnet (joke ?) thought I would add that before I get hauled over the coals ! Again ! Yes I know too many exclamation marks.o

Anniebach Mon 30-Sep-19 13:07:49

paddyann I don’t believe God gives children cancer

rosecarmel Mon 30-Sep-19 13:18:48

What if what people see didn't involve belief?

Bridgeit Mon 30-Sep-19 13:32:13

RC , can you explain your comment of 13:06 please

Day6 Mon 30-Sep-19 13:33:17

I used to have a strong Christian faith and believed many of my prayers were answered, and I was heard in times of deep distress. That comforted me and I appreciate it may have just been the way things would have worked out anyway.

I have moved on from the dogma and ritual of the church although many of my dearest friends are practising Christians.

I am not so sure about a God any longer I am afraid, for the reasons most have given? Why suffering and pain and why are parts of the world so wretched for so many people in terms of drought, climate disasters, war, suffering?

I stopped going to church years ago and friends asked why. I believed God could hear my prayers wherever I was - often at the kitchen sink.

I have become more spiritual and my love of nature fits in with that. I believe we are spirits having a bodily experience. I don't think death is the end and I do think there is more to life than we'll ever know.

Didn't Charles Darwin and many other scientists refuse to rule out the possibility of a god?

Darwin is quoted as saying “I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God.”

Hetty58 Mon 30-Sep-19 13:45:15

I think the concept of God was created by man to solve an eternal problem:

How can we be happy to live and witness all the suffering in our beautiful world? How do we excuse the horror inflicted on fellow humans and animals? Oh, of course, it's God's will!

All will be rewarded (or punished) in that magical place Heaven (or Hell) after death, won't it? How very convenient it is to believe in a fairy tale that absolves us of any responsibility.

The church even give absolution for a sin!

rosecarmel Mon 30-Sep-19 13:53:27

There's no excuse for suffering and nothing and no one to hold accountable for it because it's always existed- When suffering is treated as a truth, it's easier to see if for what it is, and what it is is life itself-

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 14:02:10

I don’t understand your post of 13:06 either rose. I haven’t been rude to you by calling your beliefs “self limiting “ and I expect the same in return.

Smileless2012 Mon 30-Sep-19 14:08:19

Belief that God exists is a matter of faith; it cannot be proved or dis proved.

Over the years science has attempted to prove that the Turin shroud was the shroud Jesus was wrapped in after the crucifixion.

There is 'scientific evidence' that it is, and 'scientific evidence' that it isn't.

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 14:14:39

I agree re a belief in gods being a matter of faith Smile - which is why I was intrigued by the earlier post by someone who claims they have proved it.

SirChenjin Mon 30-Sep-19 14:25:05

* Proved his existence

nanou Mon 30-Sep-19 14:33:11

AnnieBach Jimmy Saville, man allowed him to abuse by remaining silent ... but then why his Maker planted the seed of evil in his mind, and that goes for all evil murderers!

HettyMaud read Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
by Yuval Noah Harari - a great reflection on evolution, brilliantly written and researched.
I was raised a Catholic but since then I have become agnostic. I believe in goodness, kindness, helping, positivity, love and respect of Mother Nature, and yes, there must be something out there (not the monotheist God that the Church wants us to believe in) - this is my view anyway. However, with all the galaxies and universes we know of, it is a huge concept to comprehend for our little human minds. It almost gives me the vertigo when I think about it...but again there must be a beginning, a plan, an end. I don't think I have help you much here, but the truth is that nobody really knows - you believe or you don't with no certainty. But if you apply goodness through religion or simply through your own human values, you might reach happiness and contentment within.

nanou Mon 30-Sep-19 14:47:27

AnnieBach somehow I missed your first post. Religion is a great source of joy and comfort for you.
I had once a very religious friend (sadly passed) and when terrible things happened to her, her faith was unmovable, she was like a shining light. I often envied her faith and the joy from it. Our mindsets were different, I couldn't see what she saw and she couldn't see what I saw. This didn't stop us from loving each other. She was my best friend.

Day6 Mon 30-Sep-19 14:48:47

I believe in goodness, kindness, helping, positivity, love and respect of Mother Nature, and yes, there must be something out there (not the monotheist God that the Church wants us to believe in) - this is my view anyway.

I share your view, nanou. There is more.

I have read religious literature that expouses the view that God resides within us, and I like to think that whilst we live we can act honestly and kindly for a benevolent God - the 'something more' that is (I believe) out there.

My Mum used to tell me "Make your own Heaven on Earth" and despite all sorts of hardship and trials, I still try to do that and remain grateful for my many blessings.

nanou Mon 30-Sep-19 14:54:04

I agree Day6 goodness is in us and evil as well. Hopefully through evolution we will conquer and destroy the bad forces in us. Your Mum was a wise lady, what a lovely message to leave to her daughter! flowers

Anniebach Mon 30-Sep-19 15:01:27

nanou was evil planted in Saville’s mind when he was born?
are babies born evil ? I don’t believe so.

Children can be damaged and when adults do the same to children .

We accept mental illness if people speak of depression etc, and we sympathise,but if an unbalanced mind is spoken of when someone does something which causes harm we dismiss it as evil.

nanou Mon 30-Sep-19 15:19:53

AnnieBach Obviously Saville had a very sick mind through genetics or circumstances - I have no idea.

When I talk about evil its a figure of speech, he was just a very sick sexual predator who's done massive damage. So are you saying that everybody is born pure with no flaws?

Psychopaths are well known for feeling nothing towards their victims - incapable of empathy - they were born with this trait which will show/develop later on in life.