Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

It is evil

(34 Posts)
Alexa Sat 21-Dec-19 23:02:00

It is evil of Boris Johnson to reduce protections for refugee children.

absent Sun 22-Dec-19 03:32:49

It is certainly wrong!

BlueBelle Sun 22-Dec-19 05:42:13

Yes I totally agree Alexa but nothing surprises me with him

ladymuck Sun 22-Dec-19 06:45:31

It's evil to allow children to travel alone to a completely new environment! People will do anything to get into Britain, even risking the lives of their children.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 06:51:01

ladymuck, these are mainly children who want to join relatives here in the UK!

What an 'achievement' as the first act of a new government - shameful!

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 06:53:36

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new-brexit-bill-boris-johnson-abandons-promise-to-protect-refugee-children-n927qb58t

Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 07:00:07

Racism rearing it’s ugly head. What happened to common decency towards others in need?

ladymuck Sun 22-Dec-19 07:06:00

No, it isn't about racism. It's about trying to cut immigration.

Curlywhirly Sun 22-Dec-19 07:06:06

I wonder, were people so averse to the european refugees from WW2 coming here? Just asking.

ladymuck Sun 22-Dec-19 07:07:34

Actually, Curly many Jews were turned away when they tried to flee Germany. Their deaths must be on our conscience. This is not the same situation.

Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 07:15:45

Trying to cut immigration? Why do we need to cut immigration?

We need immigrants. And it seems that the words immigrants and refugees are thrown around here as if they are the same thing.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Dec-19 07:39:27

Yes, we need immigrants-------to pick potatoes/veg/fruit for 1/6 an hour because the lazy Brits won't do it !! Exploitation-Pah !

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:45:46

If we really needed to cut immigration, we could do more checks to stop those overstaying their work or study visas. There are very few refugees by comparison.

love0c Sun 22-Dec-19 08:11:47

I am hoping it's the protection given to the '25 year old plus children' that is being reduced.

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 10:36:25

Thanks for the link, hetty. The article and the comments following it are interesting. One comment says: "This is simply stripping back the bill to its core purpose — leaving the EU".

Another says: "The fact that something is not in a bill is not refusing to do it."

And another: "This is one of a handful of tired old ploys used to criticise political foe by assuming the very worst of motives in a given party."

I suspect that whatever provoked the mention of evil in the title of the thread is an over-simplistic and assumptive interpretation of intent.

Alexa Sun 22-Dec-19 11:12:50

"I suspect that whatever provoked the mention of evil in the title of the thread is an over-simplistic and assumptive interpretation of intent."

In this world there is no unmixed evil or good. However to refuse refuge for foreign children in extreme need, refuge and aid we can quite easily provide, is quite a clear cut illustration of what most people mean by 'evil'.

Septimia Sun 22-Dec-19 11:15:37

Why is this on the religion/spirituality thread? It's political.

suziewoozie Sun 22-Dec-19 12:14:08

I think putting it on religion/spirituality was absolutely accurate. It is an evil act.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:18:59

Politics covers almost everything, though, doesn't it? It's life, not a standalone subject. Our political views greatly influence the way we interpret news. Time will tell, I suppose, how much truth is in the allegations. I really hope it's 'fake news'.

Alexa Sun 22-Dec-19 12:40:41

Excellent question Septimia!

I chose the religion and spirituality forum for it because at heart political judgements are moral judgements.

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 12:42:15

In this world there is no unmixed evil or good

I disagree. Most things are quite complex and can be mostly good but with bad bits, mostly bad with good bits, or an infinite number of variations on that theme. Why would we try to rehabilitate criminals otherwise?

Granniesunite Sun 22-Dec-19 12:46:55

It’s on the correct the thread and Alexa I agree totally that every political judgement/decision is a moral one.

Won’t be popular though.

Baggs Sun 22-Dec-19 12:55:20

Politics is about how people organise themselves so, yes, I suppose moral decisions come under that heading in a general sense.

As does, I suppose, deciding whether any particular decision is moral, immoral or amoral. But, as with all human affairs, there will be disagreement about which category any particular decision is placed in.

As this thread illustrates. Some people assume that all actions by a Tory government are, by definition, evil/immoral. Some people don't think it is evil and immorality that drives Tory politics. You don't have to be a Tory to take the latter stance. I know several people who, though delighted when Tony Blair first became PM, are far less keen on him now.

inkcog Sun 22-Dec-19 12:57:49

Yes let's sit back and allow children to be trafficked, abused, sold, damaged and then feel smug because we have cut immigration.

Oh and while we are at it , let's tell the thousands of families who have been vetted and are happy to accept children that they aren't successful in their attempts.

inkcog Sun 22-Dec-19 12:58:57

Last night Dubs said: “It’s miserable. Safe Passage have found quite a few local authorities that are willing to take children. We’re talking about a basic principle here. It’s extremely mean and lacking in humanitarian instincts for the government to keep pulling back on this.”