Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Ethical veganism

(16 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Jan-20 12:23:47

A judge in an employment tribunal has ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief which should be protected by law.

news.sky.com/story/ethical-veganism-is-a-philosophical-belief-tribunal-says-11900304

annodomini Fri 03-Jan-20 13:22:45

Oh dear! I'll never hear the last of this from my DS2 who, as a recent convert to veganism, is as zealous as are most converts to a 'belief'.
Admittedly, his cooking over the Christmas period was tasty and, as a pescetarian veggie, I was able to enjoy it. However, their kitchen cupboards are now crammed with obscure spices and other ingredients I've never heard of as well as several bottles of multi-vitamins. hmm

Alexa Fri 03-Jan-20 13:47:56

It is true many if not most vegans are motivated by respect for animals. Respect for animals is an important ethic which is now established as a religious/philosophical position.

Anniebach Fri 03-Jan-20 13:49:39

Same for me with my younger granddaughter but I very much doubt she will want to save flies

felice Fri 03-Jan-20 13:51:50

A vegan restaurant is due to open near me soon. I asked a vegan friend half-joking if they would provide a meat option.
Her comment 'why should they ' my retort well every time i cook for an event I am asked to provide a vegan option and so are most restaurants even steak houses.
Still waiting for her replyhmm

Alexa Tue 07-Jan-20 13:28:20

Felice, respect for animals is an ethic that, not to put too fine a point upon it, vegans hold but omnivores don't. Therefore omnivores can eat either way but vegans cannnot.

suzied Tue 07-Jan-20 16:42:14

It is fatuous to expect a vegan restaurant to provide a meat option as anyone who gave it any thought should realise. If someone wants to eat meat they wouldn’t go to a vegan restaurant they could go to any of the 99% of other restaurants that serve animal flesh. It’s like saying a Japanese restaurant should serve egg and chips for people who don’t like Japanese food. More general restaurants cater for a wide range of tastes in order to attract as many customers as possible. If you have a vegetarian or vegan guest you may wish to cook them something they will eat as a considerate host. If you choose not to they will end up eating a salad or a potato. If that doesn’t bother you then fine. Most of my meat eating friends and family enjoy the occasional vegetarian meal and don’t insist on having meat at every meal, so I don’t feel the need to provide meat for them. If someone needs gluten free or is allergic to something I would accommodate that. It’s called consideration.

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:06:51

Suzied. Vegetarian easy to cook for. Vegan not so easy.
Just saying.
I had lots of people in for drinks and buffet over the Christmas period. It seemed natural to cater for veggies but I must admit I didn’t think about vegans. I presumed if any of my guests were then they would let me know.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Jan-20 21:44:15

I take your point, Felice grin

pinkquartz Tue 07-Jan-20 21:47:20

Will vegans take it all the way like they do in the Jain religion?

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 11:34:04

We just do our best to limit the harm we cause. We try to grow our own, buy local, in season, unpackaged (or minimal), so-called 'eco friendly' produce etc. - all difficult in our society.

Even eating cereal is not guilt free. There's daily wood pigeon shooting at the local cereal farm.

People buy neat packages from supermarkets and can conveniently avoid considering the production methods. They really don't want to think about it.

Channel 4's 'Meat the family' at 9pm is a fairly light hearted start to being more tuned in to where our food actually comes from.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 22:40:43

A look to the future in the following programme, Apocalypse Cow. It looks like, to avoid mass starvation, it'll be lab-grown meat (to which I have no objection) and factory-produced food, not farming!

pinkquartz Wed 08-Jan-20 23:19:29

“The bees in the almond groves are being exploited and disrespected,” says Patrick Pynes, an organic beekeeper who teaches environmental studies at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. “They are in severe decline because our human relationship to them has become so destructive.”

'*Like sending bees to war': the deadly truth behind your almond-milk obsession*

from today's Guardian

Personally I love Bees and the mass farming of almonds for vegan milk is harming them.

fake food will finish off the bees, the insects and possibly the rest of the natural world.
Fake food is not going to nourish a healthy body

This is a a marketing trick that seems to be working.

Soylent Green is probably healthier...ugh..

Daisymae Thu 09-Jan-20 09:21:24

Well at least people are becoming more aware of the true cost of food which must be a good thing.

Alexa Thu 09-Jan-20 11:27:46

Oat 'milk' tastes better than almond'milk'.

Prince Charles was reported as keeping an olive oil sprinkler beside him at table as he used it instead of butter. I have done so too thanks to him and this bit of publicity. Such a good idea ! I think it is reducing my cholesterol too and I am not stealing their cream from the baby calves.

pinkquartz Thu 09-Jan-20 14:59:16

In Spain the Spanish have always used Olive oil on bread not butter.
On a table there will be a bottle of Olive oil and salt.
You put both on the bread.
It is delicious.