Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Struggling with Church.

(85 Posts)
Londonwifi Mon 02-Mar-20 21:42:16

I was brought up to believe. I was baptised, went to Sunday School, attended Bible Class, joined the Church and became a Sunday School Teacher for a while. I always struggled with the idea so for some years I wouldn’t attend at all then find myself returning to the church.
This time however, I am ready to dispense with it. I have examined everything in great detail and Richard Dawkins books have a lot to do with it as well. I would say I am more into Buddhism than anything. I practise yoga, appreciate nature and our place in the Universe.
My dilemma is this. I want to make a clean break and just not see anyone such as my elder who has asked to meet me for coffee to discuss. Have I an obligation to meet her or can I just say I am leaving in an email? People have been kind and welcoming but it’s just not my thing. Help!

Fennel Wed 04-Mar-20 20:57:02

Really?
Don't you have a way of dressing, a style of music, beliefs in the right ways to live life, the people who embody your ideals?
To me those are all a sort of religion.
For our confused generation. We need to cling onto something.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 21:04:04

Of course I do - but you said “worship”. I don’t worship a style of dressing, or music or any of those things you say are a sort of religion that I need to cling to.

I wonder if faith and religion gives people who think that way something to cling to - while those of us who don’t need that are genuinely happy leading our own lives and simply enjoying things?

Fennel Wed 04-Mar-20 21:28:28

Perhaps it's only when we have difficult times to cope with that we 'cling on' to these ideals.
For me, Judaism is a very practical code of behaviour. Very detailed about how to live with respect to other people, whether Jewish or not.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 04-Mar-20 21:31:42

I became an evangelical Christian in my teens because I was impressed by some church members, who seemed to really live their beliefs, and I was seduced the security, love and fellowship they offered.
If I'm honest I had niggling doubts about the Christian beliefs from the beginning, and over time these doubts grew, and I realised that my faith did not stand up to scrutiny and logic, or my life view, and I left.
Some years later I discovered Humanism, and realise this is which is where I should have been all along. It makes sense for me, have met some likeminded people, and we have great discussions about just about everything. I can understand why others have a strong religious faith, and I would not criticise, or judge anyone, as life is tough and we all find our own way. I don't know whether there is a God or not, but so far I see no evidence that there is. This does not mean that Humanists are not spiritual, and find great pleasure in life, believing this is the only life we have and are not holding out for the hearafter, and there are so many great things, and people to enjoy them with. I am more aware of trying to be less judgmental and more compassionate and understanding than I ever was when I was a Christian.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 21:49:07

I’m going to disagree with you again Fennel I’m afraid! I’ve had my share of very difficult times but just don’t feel the need to cling onto anything. I’m content with my family, my friends, my hobbies and my work and I find comfort in them.

Everyone is different though, and for many religion is a lifeline - I do understand that.

Fennel Wed 04-Mar-20 22:43:52

SirChenjin
"Everyone is different though, and for many religion is a lifeline - I do understand that."
Exactly. And I don't expect others to go down the route that I did.

SirChenjin Thu 05-Mar-20 07:22:43

No I know - but you did claim that everyone needs something to worship and atheists just need to find the right religion, which is simply not true.

Fennel Thu 05-Mar-20 17:19:48

ok I agree that you could interpret what I wrote that way.

Alexa Fri 06-Mar-20 12:52:27

"Saved" from what, Endless Strife?