Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Cancellation of church services

(54 Posts)
Donnatella Thu 19-Mar-20 13:58:48

Surely we will be allowed to celebrate Easter in church, even if we just meet for prayers.

Cabbie21 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:09:36

Only the buildings are closed. The church is alive and flourishing not only online, but in private prayer and individual acts of kindness. Some are open where they are in use a community hubs, or food banks,

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:00:43

There are no public religious services in Denmark either, irrespective of denomination.

Various online services are available.

I find it slightly odd, considering the relative size of most churches and congregations, it should surely have been possible to ensure there were 2 metres between each person.
They could have been asked to wear masks as well.

Closing churches in a time of crisis seems rather strange, after all.

Saxifrage Mon 13-Apr-20 21:59:30

Relevant?

Grannmarie Mon 13-Apr-20 20:51:10

I thank God for the technology to keep in touch with family, friends and faith.

NannyC2 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:42:46

Our St Richards's Catholic Church is streaming services - covering all the Easter ones

www.strichardschichester.co.uk/
Live-streamed from St Richard's in Holy Week:

​​Mon-Weds: 8am Mass, 7pm Evening Prayer

Maundy Thursday : 8am Morning Prayer, ​7.30pm Mass
​Good Friday: 8am Morning Prayer,
3pm Celebration of the Passion​
Holy Saturday: 8am Morning Prayer, ​8pm Easter Vigil

Easter Sunday: Sunday 9.30am Mass, 7pm Evening Prayer

We have been able to hear weekday Masses and evening prayers.
It has attracted many parishioners and outsiders as you can also request prayers for those who are sick and others in need of prayer.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:17:00

I agree Hithere an irresponsible decision and I'm pleased that it wont be happening.

Had it gone ahead, I know we'd have been asked to help out and we'd already decided to decline but probably would have felt guilty for doing so.

wildswan16 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:41:39

I think this crisis will have some excellent "knock-on" effects as far as churches go. Many have begun to make youtube videos for their Sunday School children, as well as streaming sermons and emailing prayer lists etc.

Although we are physically isolating ourselves some good and supportive ideas are being put into place which may benefit the housebound in our communities in the years to come.

3nanny6 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:52:18

Donnatella many of the churches are streaming the services.

If you a regular church goer then go to the website for your church they will signpost you to the services and most streamed services will also follow normal mass times for example 9am and 11am. Also you will probably find services for Good Friday.

We know we cannot go to services right now but we can do it from home.

Lavazza1st Thu 26-Mar-20 13:49:00

A lot of churches are livestreaming. Our local has been disconcertingly quiet on that front, so I have been watching other churches broadcasts.

There are still online prayer request sites where you can leave a prayer and people will pray for you.

These are strange unsettling times and we need faith more than ever.

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 13:10:10

No suziewoozie; you 'don't care about the stupidity of people who don't care for the greater good.'
Your aim on Gransnet is to roam across the different threads insulting posters indiscriminately with rude, hurtful comments.
Normally I ignore your comments, but yesterday I received a private message from someone I supported when she was attacked by various posters, including yourself; she was really distressed by the comments levelled at her, which were out of all proportion to the posts she made. I don't know this person, but her distress was real, which I feel is your object.

You carefully stay within the GN guidelines, so your posts are not quite as instinctive as they appear. I don't understand what motivates your unwarranted unpleasantness; many posters can make pertinent comments without upsetting the recipient.

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 11:51:24

My son has a video of a car driving round a town in Ireland, broadcasting Mass.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 22:05:22

Greenfinch, this is such a strange and unsettling time, especially for young ones.
I am sure they will remember.

Greenfinch Sun 22-Mar-20 19:46:59

We got the grandchildren who are living with us to light the candles.They are 12 and we are hoping they will remember what we did and why we did it for the next 60 plus years.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 19:12:06

Not a good picture, here it is

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 19:05:52

My candle has also been lit

Calendargirl Sun 22-Mar-20 19:05:06

Have just lit my candle Septimia, and think I can hear a church bell ringing.

Said a little prayer as well.

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Mar-20 18:12:06

Gransnet may be an essential lifeline to some during these difficult times. We need to treat each other kindly and respectfully. We do not know others situations. To call someone's comments stupid is not appropriate. There are more polite ways to put your views across.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 17:41:32

Our church is open 10.00 to 6.00 for private prayer. It is a quiet country church. The chances of two people turning up at the same time are minimal.

I do agree that only opening for an hour or two a week is iffy, because those who do go will all turn up at the same time

Hithere Sun 22-Mar-20 17:37:58

Some comments are not sugar coated for sure.

Being direct is not rude or harsh.
The inability of some posters to see what is really going on is frustrating.
Maybe they are in denial? Still no excuse to make excuses trying to justify how rules don't apply to them

Hithere Sun 22-Mar-20 17:34:33

Smileless,

What an irresponsible decision

I hope your church won't open

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 17:33:45

Stupidity is worse than harshness

Smileless2012 Sun 22-Mar-20 17:32:39

Our vicar is hoping to open our Church for one hour on a Wednesday morning when there would normally have been a communion service, and one hour on Sunday mornings. Both for quiet prayer and enuring the 2 meter rule is followed.

It's a large church with a small congregation, the majority who are 70+ and self isolating so wont be able to attend.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 17:31:59

Why do some people have to be so harsh? The last thing we need just now is posters sniping at each other, it is a time to be kind.
Before anyone tells me I don't get it, I absolutely do.
I am in total isolation, in the highest risk group. If I catch it, I will probably die.

Hithere Sun 22-Mar-20 17:26:25

It has been only 3 days since the first post.

3 days, not 3 weeks or 3 months.

Things were already bad 3 days ago.
There is no rational reason why this question still had validity 3 days ago.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 17:22:41

Things have moved on very quickly from when Donnatella first posted.
I'm sure she is aware now how serious this all is.