Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Cancellation of church services

(53 Posts)
Donnatella Thu 19-Mar-20 13:58:48

Surely we will be allowed to celebrate Easter in church, even if we just meet for prayers.

tanith Thu 19-Mar-20 14:05:44

I would think that’s highly unlikely Donnatella churches are holding online prayers and some will be televised for Easter.

olliebeak Thu 19-Mar-20 14:10:39

All of the local Methodist and Anglican churches in my area have been closed - not sure what the situation is in the RC ones.

We are hoping to have a 'Facebook Messenger Service' this Sunday - video-style - for those who have the technology.

Our Minister phoned everybody last Sunday for a brief talk/personal prayer time.

We are a small Anglo/Methodist Church on the outskirts of Liverpool, but the support from the members - both for church members AND the community - has been amazing!

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 14:14:57

There are no public Catholic masses in Scotland.
How can you make an exception for Easter, it would totally make a farce of all the precautions?

If you meet for prayers, you risk passing the virus on or catching it yourself..

Anniebach Thu 19-Mar-20 14:26:31

I am upset there will be no Good Friday and Easter Sunday
Services. I couldn’t attend but I would like to sit and think through the services .

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 14:44:49

Annie, I’m sure there’ll be something at Easter. On the news last night, we were told the Archbishop of Canterbury is broadcasting services on the radio every Sunday. Not sure of the details though.

Septimia Thu 19-Mar-20 14:51:48

No services in church. Things on the television etc. Our vicar is going to stream services from different churches in the group that we can watch at our convenience and send out material for us to use at home. We hope to be able to have an Easter service in our churchyard, well spread out!!

Two important things, though:

1. We will mark this coming (Mothering) Sunday as an ecumenical day of prayer. The archbishops ask that wherever we are this Sunday, we join in prayer for the people of this country and place a lighted candle in a window at 7.00 p.m. – a sign of solidarity and hope in the light of Christ that can never be extinguished.

2. We are ringing our church bell at the times of the daily offices (9am and 5pm approx) so that our community knows that they are cared for. We've done it twice so far and it's made me cry both times.

Maybe other churches can do similar things.

Lavazza1st Fri 20-Mar-20 17:28:32

Our Anglican church has few enough people that they could actually have a service if they spaced people out.

It is open for prayers, but quite honestly I feel that if they are allowing an indiscriminate amount of people in and out, why not just have services but with strict spacing rules???

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 14:21:07

They have been shut down along with pubs and clubs etc. Many had closed already. My deanery are streaming a mass from one of the local churches each Sunday.

crazyH Sat 21-Mar-20 14:27:15

Our church is open for us to go in and say a private prayer but no Masses are being said.

felice Sat 21-Mar-20 14:27:43

All places of worship closed here last Friday along with all places where people get together, pubs etc.
Our Church puts out an online service on Sunday at 11.00am, this weeks has just been announced, I will watch it and join in with my DD and DGS.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:38:20

ALL public gatherings are very dangerous. Avoid them like the plague!

Grannmarie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:38:31

Our Diocese has several churches streaming live webcam Masses and services daily.

Churches are open daily for private prayer, lighting candles. Very quiet and peaceful.

Signs on the outside doors instruct handwashing on arrival/departure.

Mapleleaf Sat 21-Mar-20 15:43:07

Our church is closing for the duration of this virus. Sad but necessary.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 08:44:05

I will be going to mass today - online. Two churches in our deanery are live streaming services. Our priest, who has had to socially seclude himself, for health reasons, is sending us out an online 'thought for the day'. When it arrives it is a moment to stop, read and meditate for a few minutes.

rubysong Sun 22-Mar-20 08:58:33

Be very careful with those lighted candles at 7pm folks. Please don't set fire to the curtains. I have some large battery candles somewhere, I hope I didn't put them away with the Christmas decorations.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 09:19:52

I had been searching for my battery operated candles, but think I must have thrown them out, as I can't find them anywhere.
I am going to use a real candle instead; so will pull the blinds back and use a storm lantern type container instead.

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 09:28:19

Donna what planet are you on? What part of pandemic highly contagious killer virus do you not understand? You want to help spread it so you can pray with others? I think you should be praying on your own for forgiveness for wanting to harm others then do some research - you could start with learning about exhausted doctors and nurses in Italy and here. May god forgive your selfishness because I couldn’t

B9exchange Sun 22-Mar-20 09:34:37

Our local Cathedral is streaming a Mothering Sunday service at 10.00 am, you can join in here, www.stalbanscathedral.org/Event/live-streaming-on-mothering-sunday come along?

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 11:38:49

Donatella it is the *meeting which is banned and dangerous not the type of service. Anything that brings people together.

This mroning I tuned into a live streaming of the mass from, not my own parish church but one I know and have worshipped in in the local deanery. It was a familiar priest in a familiar church, with all the little hiccups of someone doing his work in unfamiliar circumstances. I am sure the feedback will include telling him not to keep touching his face! He fumbled with notes and stunbled in one reading, just like being at a normal service.

I will be taking part in worship every Sunday and all through the Easter season.

Someone suggested that with so many churches live streaming one could try somewher different every Sunday. But I have decided that I will stay with my local church in my local area. Perhaps once a month I might stray elsewhere.

Fennel Sun 22-Mar-20 11:44:52

Our synagogue has closed too. People told to pray at home.
Use the phone to continue religious study with a learning partner.
Everyone's prayers etc could help to control the epidemic.

ginny Sun 22-Mar-20 12:02:03

Not sure why anyone should think church services should be allowed. You can pray anywhere if you so desire. As for the fellowship and social contact, that is something we are all having to go without just now.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 12:11:43

We have one very foolish parishioner who thinks God won't let anything happen to her if she goes to church!
She also told me that she could consume as much of the Communion wine as she wishes, as God will make sure that police won't stop her and breathalyse her.

She is a high risk person, but she is blithely going about her merry way, without any regard for others. angry
Her behaviour beggars belief.
What chance do we have, if everyone was as irresponsible as her?

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 14:40:09

Be thankful that very few people are that stupid.

Hithere Sun 22-Mar-20 14:57:42

I swear I do not know what is so hard to understand.

Did you all lose neurons and are unable to process clear instructions?

The human race is doomed

Isolate. No gatherings.

Wanting to babysitting, meeting a friend, getting haircuts, travel for Easter, religious festivities, mothers day, birthdays, funerals, etc are NO exception